NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Homemade Bird Toys

Talon

If you got bits of spare wood and other parts from other worn out toys you can take them apart and make foot toys with them. I taken apart some of mine such as natural tanned leather, acrylic pieces, bagels and beads etc. Be creative don't throw away your old toys.

My cag loves all my foot toys.

DSC00812.jpg

For those of us lucky enough to be or know a diabetic: the One touch blood strip canisters (when empty) make great foot toy sized foraging toys. Drill a couple of holes in them and add an almond, noodle or whatever else your grey likes and you're all good. Since the seal is semi tight, it takes time for them to open, but is a manageable task. Since theyre small and PLASTIC birds love them, and they make a cool pop noice when opened. Unlike oldschool bloodstrip cans, ther are no toxic chemicals in them. If anyone is in southern California, I would be happy to get some of mine to you, otherwise, Im sure you can find a local diabetic willing to share on Craigslist.

Toni wrote:

Wait, Wait.Please don't add the toys yet.Lets see what Penny wants to do if she decides to get the special room for it.Then we can bombard that room w/all of our brilliant ideas. ;)

No need to wait on posting toys or ideas. This entire thread can easily be moved to the new room once it is put up by the "Techies" that do such things on this site. :-)

• 1 month later...

Wasn`t sure where to post this so i thought i`d try here :woohoo:

OK i`m after a play stand for Kya anyone know of a good one? i do live in the uk so this will limit it some what:S OR how do i go about making one? has anyone tried this?

That's a great idea! Now we need to get a lil' bucket for miscellaneous toys. How did you hang the bucket? Did you use the stainless steal chain from another toy? Rope?

The only thing that worries me, is if and when she drops them, they might fall through the bottom grate and get pooped on. Do you just throw out anything that falls or do you wash them off and stick them back in the bucket?

Thanks for all the ideas!

• 3 months later...

shera36 wrote:

OK here is one i did with straws wiffle ball and cupcake papers...I used a pencil sharpner for the straws to give them a whirly look does take a few to get it right thank gosh there cheap.

toy.jpg

Post edited by: shera36, at: 2008/11/11 21:01<br><br>Post edited by: shera36, at: 2008/11/11 21:02

now thats a nice toy, my grey LOVes and i Mean loves cardboard!

• 1 month later...

shera36 wrote:

OK here is one i did with straws wiffle ball and cupcake papers...I used a pencil sharpner for the straws to give them a whirly look does take a few to get it right thank gosh there cheap.

toy.jpg

Post edited by: shera36, at: 2008/11/11 21:01<br><br>Post edited by: shera36, at: 2008/11/11 21:02

Hi Shera36. How exactly did you do the straws in the pencil sharpener? What else is included in this toy? I see the coffee filters and the straws is there somehting else on the bottom? Oh I see the whiffle ball now. How did you get the straws to say put?

Great toy! Thanks<br><br>Post edited by: fidsandfrats, at: 2009/05/19 15:42

shera36 wrote:

toy.jpg

Hi shera36

I really like your idea whirley straws. Would you mind telling me what kind of pencil sharpener you used on the straws to get them to the the whirly thingy? I tried this on a straw using a sharpener for like a lip liner. It didn't work out very well and if it did it would have taken me a million years to do many. Help!!!

Thank you!!!!

• 5 months later...

I take the cardboard tube from finished toilet paper, squash it real flat, put two or three shelled almonds inside, close the open edges folding them a couple of times... if you look at it from the side it should look like an "S" with a fat tummy. Push it through the bars of the cage and hang it there, using the folds in the cardboard. If you do this before going out they keep busy for a while and don't notice you leaving. Other types of cardboard can be used in many creative ways (as long as it's safe) like a tightly rolled-up piece with nuts in the centre of it, hanging from a string... the more layers of rolled-up cardboard, the longer it takes the bird to get to the nuts.

The little plastic yellow eggs inside chocolate Kinder eggs are also good: put a hole at both rounded ends, thread a string through them with a knot at the bottom to stop it from falling, put a nut in it, close it loosely the first time, and hang it in the cage. The more eggs the better!

avianvideos wrote:

shera36 wrote:

toy.jpg

now thats a nice toy, my grey LOVes and i Mean loves cardboard!

Hi Shera36

Is the sharpener the small hand-held ones like you would use for to sharpen a lip/eye liner pencil or the kind that has the handle that you turn?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

this toy is easy and cheap to make, and provides your bird with great entertainment and foraging simulation.

Materials:

- a 10cm approx piece of see-through garden hose.

- two wine-bottle corks

- a piece of string

- some of your bird's favourite treats.

Push one of the corks half of its length into one end of the hose. Put some treats into the hose and seal the other end with the other cork, trapping the treats in the middle. Tie it in the centre and hang it in the cage. This works best if the corks are very tight fitting and you have to make some effort to push them in.

Your bird will see the treats but will have to really work to get to them, chewing the corks to bits, and probably part of the hose too. 'njoy!