NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Homemade Bird Toys

Talon

I am starting to feel creative do to all the recent threads scattered everywhere here in the forum from you guys. I bought the cupcake wrappers, the coffee filters, got the pine cones, but it was very hard to find the various threads when I wanted to follow your ideas.

Could we maybe add to this thread so it will be easy to find when we are looking for something different and cheap to entertain our birds?

I'll go first:

I bought the buckets that hang in the cage, and wrap up foot toys, things like plastic bottle caps, sea shells, pieces of wood, bunny chew toys, small pieces of straws, uncooked funny shaped pasta, peanuts, pieces of broken toys (plastic or wood) and then I throw some almonds in there and plastic paper clips. Talon LOVES to chew the plastic off the paper clips!

I get them ready the night before work, and put them in their cages when I am going to be gone most of the day. They spend hours playing and unwrapping things.

I use the small butter tubs , make a slit in the bottom . Then run a long piece of plastic chain through three butter tubs ,space them on the chain, then hang in the cage ,they climb up and down the chain getting little treats and toys out of each tub . They also like the lids to the butter tubs , to chew up...

Ok, here's one. The toy in the photo is a store bought toy but easily made and much cheaper. (Sorry it's a bit used;) )

Get a box of some bendable straws. The more colorful the better. Get a good sized group of them together and take a plastic zip tie to tighten them up. Before tightening all the way, put a bell with long chain in the center of the straws just below the bendable part and pull the zip tie tightly to secure. Bend the straw tops out to make it look more interesting.:)straw_toy.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2008/11/11 15:04

straw_toy.jpg

Yep, I could see that if they are not tight they would be everywhere:laugh: I was even thinking about putting a rubber band on them too, then the zip tie. There is always room for improvements and better techniques.

I think I paid $14.99 or $16.99 for that toy:( That is whats so bad. It's really hard to pay $15 for straws:unsure:

This particular toy, my grey & my eclectus showed no interest in at all, but Cooper here ran to when he seen it. I guess it all depends on the bird. I gave Cooper a single straw and he loved it so I pulled this toy back out of the toy box and it was a hit for him.:) Guess a good way to test if they like it hand them a single straw and see what happens. ;)

You could call it the "Do It Yourself" Room. Great idea. One of the other forums I check out occasionally has a do-it-yourself room and there are always great ideas there.

Don't forget that the baby section of stores is a great place to look for inexpensive bird toys and parts, also the dollar store. I got a whole package of wiffle balls to make toys out of for a dollar at mine. I had just bought a toy made out of one for much more than a dollar. I might try making a foraging toy out of one, stuff it full of goodies for Lyric to pull out and investigate.

I found all kinds of websites for the toys. After Christmas Alcazar and the Zons will get spoiled.I also belong to a bird club that I will donate some toys I will make.Sorta like spread the wealth.Wealth of homemade toys that is. My ex now said I can use his drill and if I like doing the toys he said he'll buy me one.Now I cant wait until Christmas is over.

OK here is one i did with straws wiffle ball and cupcake papers...I used a pencil sharpner for the straws to give them a whirly look does take a few to get it right thank gosh there cheap.

toy.jpg

Post edited by: shera36, at: 2008/11/11 21:01<br><br>Post edited by: shera36, at: 2008/11/11 21:02

toy.jpg

Okay everyone: it should be up & running hopefully tomorrow! This will be great! I will move this thread over into the new room, but we should add many of these ideas as separate topics!

To be called............

Homemade Toys & Playstands<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2008/11/12 00:39