NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Homemade Bird Toys

Talon

Ok, that's the second time I've seen that type of ref to straws. I take it something's going around...? I'm going to be completely, thoroughly & absolutely crushed if they get taken out of the toy box. I've been using them for all kinds of things for years & years. Everyone loves them. And by everyone I mean even Phenix who is just impossible, normally. So watsup w/the straws already???

Ok, that's the second time I've seen that type of ref to straws. I take it something's going around...? I'm going to be completely, thoroughly & absolutely crushed if they get taken out of the toy box. I've been using them for all kinds of things for years & years. Everyone loves them. And by everyone I mean even Phenix who is just impossible, normally. So watsup w/the straws already???

I was told that soft plastics can cause blockage if swallowed and not to let them have it (by one well-meaning bird "expert") yet another friend said that they are smart enough to know what to swallow and what to spit out. Part of me worries a little, but another part says it is common sense. Indigestible bits of shell and bone can cause problems, but they *have* to deal with these things in the wild. So I am with murfchck, so far, I have not seen problems, so they still get straws. They sure like destroying them. I am going to make new "bundles" this weekend, as well as some other Christmas presents. I will try to get the husband-photographer to do some nice pictures while we work.

I've gone back and forth on this as well. Timber loves plastic straws, especially dark blue ones for some reason. I had given them to him for months then read something similar to what you said Muse, and also something about an AG who died from ingesting the plastic. Freaked me out so I stopped giving them to him. I bought paper straws for him but that just didn't cut it. A few weeks ago, I started giving the plastic ones to him again. He is just thrilled. When he finishes with them, there are little blue pieces all over the floor where he has been. Long live the plastic straw! ;)

Oh, that. Wheww! I was afraid they'd just announced there was like something about their chemical composition. Everyone's been waiting for a new strawburst for a week while I was waiting for someone to answer this. So they thank you, too. lol

Anything the fids pick to bits can theoretically get lodged in them. Not to say that some freak something can't happen. It can always happen w/these guys!! But mine all spit out any plastic bits of anything they tear up ...so far ...knock on wood.

Ironically, the one problem I have had was when Phenix got a wood splinter lodged in the split in the roof of his mouth. I knew something was wrong. Good thing that vet had been thru hell & back when Phenix had all his problems in the early days. So he believed me when I brought him in w/basically no symptoms.

As it was, he had to triple check before he found it. I thought he'd finally just made something up to humor me by that point. But he got very serious & said he not only hadn't, but it would have cause major problems if it had remained there for much longer. I knew he meant it when he proceeded to put Phenix on a mega dose of an antibiotic I'd become all too familiar with. Guess how long it took me to stop being afraid of wood toys after that...?

Karen, paper straws are waxed. I don't know what exactly is bad about that, but for some reason it's something to avoid. So no waxed paper cups, either.

Btw, my Cockey enjoys "solving a problem" with a bundle of colourful straws, and needs less than a minute to take them apart, but never swallows a part of it.

However, here he is doing acrobatics on his swing with a newly attached plastic toy ...

Sorry for the poor quality pics due to a bad ligting and a cell phone cam.

Photo1203.jpg

Photo1219.jpg

Photo1217.jpg

I was told that soft plastics can cause blockage if swallowed and not to let them have it (by one well-meaning bird "expert") yet another friend said that they are smart enough to know what to swallow and what to spit out. Part of me worries a little, but another part says it is common sense. Indigestible bits of shell and bone can cause problems, but they *have* to deal with these things in the wild. So I am with murfchck, so far, I have not seen problems, so they still get straws. They sure like destroying them. I am going to make new "bundles" this weekend, as well as some other Christmas presents. I will try to get the husband-photographer to do some nice pictures while we work.

Okay... we put it off until the last minute, but I put some photos up on my Flickr account of the toymaking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59819856@N05/sets/72157639067370135

The descriptions contain information on what we were doing. If you have any questions or want more information on anything, feel free to reply or PM me here. Hope everyone had a great holiday and hope everyone's fids got something lovely for Christmas.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

<br>Take care not to bend them too much as this will degrade their performance. 361 at 395-96 (1989)), strongly endorsed the observation of the Task Force on Sentencing Policy Towards Young Offenders thus: Youth crime is not exclusively the offenders fault; offences by the young represent a failure of family, school and social system, which share responsibility for the development of Americas youth. Similarly, the pressures of the outside world (be they social, economic, or personal) force professionals to seek work beyond the domestic sphere. Mating of the two species would a disaster. a day you can learn/work as long as you like everyday (the result is yours of course). </br><br>10:15am Just a couple of days ahead of his side's UEFA Champions League clash with Manchester City at the Bernabeu, Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho slammed his players, saying I did not have a team after watching his side crash to a 1-0 defeat at Sevilla this weekend. As a rookie owner an already successful company, he took the helm and expanded their appeal on an international level. His mandate is to alert the government to its legal obligations in upholding international human rights. Tina ( Jenna Ushkowitz ) is focusing on her wardrobe, Artie ( Kevin McHale ) and Sam ( Chord Overstreet ) channel their emotions into song, and Mr. MK wallet Monopoly </br><br>They are open until 1:30AM for your late-night gelato cravings. ) that throughout Stalins era included the dictators dietary advice. It is very hard to imagine that theEqually, though, who wants to be the next Iceland, Greece or Ireland?The farmers worked their bone fields night after night, thinking they were alone in their grim harvest. Bellew, who will have 10,000 fans behind him on home soil, fired back: “I’m not like Cleverly’s previous opponents. Walt Disney Co. It is extremely difficult to modify the compiled version of most applications and nearly impossible to see exactly how the developer created different parts of the program. </br><br>Two wet years and a federal crop reduction program have helped North America's duck population increase by 30%, wildlife officials say. Something distinctly blue begins to rise from the wreckage of the egg, spreading its wings out in what looks almost like a triumphant pose. For Lori Duron, parenting her younger son C. But they had it back in their clutches by games end, with hopes to hoist the trophy again Sunday. Cowell, 50, and good friend and ex-girlfriend Jackie St Claire Jackie St Clair were snapped entering the studios in London ahead of last night's semi-final. He even said it when Major League Baseball approached him to play a bit part in the game's history. </br> xboter 2014

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

The only toys that worked for me in 34 years is two separate pieces of lava stone hanging by a chain. It keeps her beak and nails trimmed. He flies around in circles hanging on and flying. Everything else he destroys. His house is a big wire dog cage on a stand. He likes his home. We use dog dishes for food and water. We let him out only to clean cage. 

• Like 1