NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Homemade Bird Toys

Talon

• 3 weeks later...

The bird stand I made very similar I can take it apart if some one wants to see all the pieces its very simple to make and costs about 40$ to 50$ but once that bulk cost is paid you can add as many arms as you want for under a dollar a piece and the rope is about 60 cents a foot and the wire to shape it around was about 100 feet for around ten bucks .... and all of that was included in the first 40 to 50 dollars so 15 more feet of rope would be around 7.50$ let me know if some one wants me to take the time to show you how its assembled.DSC03276.jpgDSC03277.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: AbbysDaddy, at: 2009/12/31 01:26

Thanks and here is what I like most ... you can add more perch bars and make it as tall as you like and plus if you don't glue it together and just press it together firmly they swivel and your can make it diffrent every time your bird gets on it .... and to make that one better even if you do glue it into position the perch bars (the horizontal ones) screw into the vertical poll and lastly in the middle of the stand where it goes from metal to PVC i am going to take the other peice of wood and drill a bigger whole in the middle of it and use a jam nut to hold it up so the poop stays off of the lower base so my dog cant get it ill take some more detailed photos of it taken appart when I do that so people can see how simple it really is and cheep too.

LOL thats a good question I spent 3 hours at Home Depot trying to figure it out ... all the parts minus the wood were bought in plumbing where all the fitting and pipe are. I belive the part screwed to the wood is called a wall hanger or a wall mount ... either way it shouldn't be too hard to find ... and the metal pipe was just some scrap they had there that they actually gave me ... I had him just thread the unfinished end so I could screw on a PVC fitting that was the same diameter and was threaded on one end and would allow the rest of the stand (which is pvc the rest of the way up) to be pressed together NOT glued .... works out great and allows you to rearrange it and move it around

DSC03291.jpg

DSC03292.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Are they safe for African grey birds to chew on?

A lot of manufacturers of bird toys use them

and I was just wondering what your experiences

have been?

They are pretty inexpensive if you make your own toys

but i wonder if the greys can chew through the plastic?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One toy I make for Brutus is threading pasta tubes along a untanned leather cord. He loves to crunch all the pasta and break them off one-by-one. Kinda messy <G> He also loves to take the plastic tops off, empty, rinsed, and tightened, vitamin bottles. A piece of cardboard folded like a taco and filled with uncolored raffia from the craft store, and chunks of wood, and the occasional walnut wrapped in paper is also good for entertainment. Another fun and inexpensive thing to do in the kitchen, is letting him have the discarded portions of (organic and rinsed) nontoxic vegetables and fruits such as: banana peels, broccoli stems, leeks, corn husks, and bottoms of lettuce heads. He totally loves shredding them while I cook.