NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bringing home your Baby Grey.

lovemyGreys

• 4 weeks later...

You are alot of Help. I have not been on for awhile to do with Spending time with my New Baby CAG Cosmo and Doing things with my kids! LOL! But when I brought Cosmo home he was like he has been with us since the day he Hatched. I think It is because I was visiting him 1-2 times a Week and spending 2 hrs with him each visit. He is a Sweet Heart. He loves to sit on your Lap and Just for you to pet him and then her fall asleep. LOL! He is Very Vocal. I couldn't ask for a Better BIrd.

:woohoo: WHOOPEE!!!!!:woohoo: I am supposed to get my bird NEXT WEEK!!!!! I was expecting middle to late March but he is flying and eating on his own so breeder says he's ready. He was born on 12/7 or 12/8 so right at 3 months old! I got a cage. It's pretty good I think. Haven't gotten ONE toy OR food because I had been expecting him to be ready later on, so I have to choose a few toys quick.... Wish me luck!!!!! I am sooo confused. Should I put him in my bedroom so that I can close the door and dogs and cats cant stare at him while he adjusts or should I put him in the spot in living room that I have planned for him so he is involved in all the action of family...there is little action in bedroom and none that I want him repeating.... :blush: <<snort>>

HALP ME!!!! LOLOLOLOL

Newbie from Mississippi

Vicki G

• 1 month later...

Great advice for anyone who is due to bring home a new baby in the near future.

Some people feel really nervous about bringing their new baby home, hope this will give you some ideas, please add to the thread with your own experience with your new baby.

• 2 months later...

I brought my 17 week old Apollo home 2 days ago! The first few hours he was a little nervous around me and new people and just froze up. But after an hour or so he really got comfortable. I also was given him earlier than expected since he had already started eating pellets and other hard food. I had him in a smaller cage the first day but he got really excited seeing me struggle to build his bigger permanent home. Once he was in the big cage he really started vocalizing and perching up on one foot and griding his beak.

One piece of advice from a newbie if I may: I also was extremely nervous and confused (even though I was reading up on greys for 8 months prior) however, the moment you see your baby happy it all melts aways and you're like - "of course he's happy!" Just give em the attention and love that they so deserve and offer you.

Congratulations Loukas!!

It sonds like the big homecoming went very well and you did a GreYt job in making it easy for your new baby Grey. :-)

Looking forward to hearing more about him and seeing some photos when you get a chance.

• 1 year later...
Guest jules420_91

We will be bringing our baby CAG Louie home on March 30. He will be 14 weeks old this Thurs. I feel we have bonded very well with our little boy. We have been visiting him twice a week for at least 2hrs per visit since he was 6 weeks old. He seems to love both of us & tries talking to us already. I have a beautiful cage all set up for him. Perches lower in cage, towels & paper over grate, small stuffed Winnie the Pooh bear (baby soft toy nothing to chew off) & baby friendly toys. I also have a 6 yr old WF Amazon who is extremely attached to her momma. Any advice on making Louie's transition to our home as stress free on everyone as possible would be most appreciated. They will be in separate rooms for the first month or two & our breeder recommends trying short play times together once Louie is settled in. Unfortunately our breeder insists his babies are clipped before moving to their new home. The clipped Louie a few weeks ago without even asking us. Other than that I have found our breeder fantastic. Louie just decided a few nights ago he is a big boy & doesn't want formula any more. Hopefully he continues to grow & gain weight over the next week so he will be able to finally come home. The wait is a killer on momma lol. Tarzie is also clipped as recommended by vet to calm her aggression with daddy. Breeder recommends starting mutual play time with both birds in opposite ends of room & gradually over a week or so move them closer during play time. It's going to be a little tricky at first since Tarzie is used to being out of her cage all day. I'm sure we will manage. Reminds me of bringing my son home as a newborn when my daughter was just 13 months old lol. Sorry for the length of my post. I am just an anxious new mom.

Julie, Greg, Tarzie & Louie

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Im so excited and happy my baby TAG Angel home. I went to visit him and I was told I could take him home. This is day three so I'm just taking my time trying to get to know him. The first day I just took it easy I let him get use to his cage and surroundings. He is not fully weaned yet so in the evening I did my first hand feeding, it went well. I give him 2 feedings a day one in the morning and one before he settles for the night. When I picked him up from the pet store they gave me a small amount of formula and a big bag of seed mix and some vitamins in powder form which I mix in his formula. I plan to cut back on the seeds and start him on a good pellet I'm considering Harrisons or another organic pellet. He seems to be adjusting fine, but I do have a few concerns. He is very quiet, he just sits for a long period of time and just grinds his beak and preens. He has new toys that he does not show any interest in. My house can be loud and quiet at times. I have a 1 and a 3 year old and screaming, crying and loud playing is the norm around here except when they are at school half the day. The noise does not seem to have any effect on Angel. He just sits there neck feathers puffed out on one leg and his beak just grinds away he also will close his eyes. I plan to take him to a avian vet on monday to make sure he is in good health. Im a little worried because he is not active nor does he vocalize much. He wont make a sound only when I tell him to step up I hear a very short and quiet squawk or mumble when I offer my hand.

I was told that he is between 12 and 14 weeks old. I wonder if I got a quiet bird that will stay this way, or if he will start to be more active as he gets older. He will step up for me when he is in his cage. He will not step up willingly when he is on top of his open play top cage which I think is his favorite place to sit. I will have to remove him and put him back into the cage so he can eat and drink water other wise he will not move and hours will go by. Is this something I should be worried about?... Or any suggestions?

My baby is finally home!

Im so excited and happy my baby TAG Angel home. I went to visit him and I was told I could take him home. This is day three so I'm just taking my time trying to get to know him. The first day I just took it easy I let him get use to his cage and surroundings. He is not fully weaned yet so in the evening I did my first hand feeding, it went well. I give him 2 feedings a day one in the morning and one before he settles for the night. When I picked him up from the pet store they gave me a small amount of formula and a big bag of seed mix and some vitamins in powder form which I mix in his formula. I plan to cut back on the seeds and start him on a good pellet I'm considering Harrisons or another organic pellet. He seems to be adjusting fine, but I do have a few concerns. He is very quiet, he just sits for a long period of time and just grinds his beak and preens. He has new toys that he does not show any interest in. My house can be loud and quiet at times. I have a 1 and a 3 year old and screaming, crying and loud playing is the norm around here except when they are at school half the day. The noise does not seem to have any effect on Angel. He just sits there neck feathers puffed out on one leg and his beak just grinds away he also will close his eyes. I plan to take him to a avian vet on monday to make sure he is in good health. Im a little worried because he is not active nor does he vocalize much. He wont make a sound only when I tell him to step up I hear a very short and quiet squawk or mumble when I offer my hand.

I was told that he is between 12 and 14 weeks old. I wonder if I got a quiet bird that will stay this way, or if he will start to be more active as he gets older. He will step up for me when he is in his cage. He will not step up willingly when he is on top of his open play top cage which I think is his favorite place to sit. I will have to remove him and put him back into the cage so he can eat and drink water other wise he will not move and hours will go by. Is this something I should be worried about?... Or any suggestions?

It is important to be patient, gentle and considerate of your new Grey. He doesn't know you. He is in a strange place with strangers. He will undergo a brief grieving period and a long curiousity period. He may have been with other babies he played with and his beloved and trusted caregiver.The adjustment - as far as food, cage and toys are concerned - should be a brief one. It will take a little longer for him to know you. He may be very cautious. He may be watchful. He'll be quiet. A bird is not a domesticated companion animal and his trust and love must be earned by all who wish to have a satisfactory relationship with him. If you have children or grandchildren, caution them about running up to the cage, gesturing widely or using a loud voice. Birds often are frightened of children because of their sometimes abrupt activity or sudden noise. Be patient. Don't rush him. He doesn't know how loved he is and how anxiously awaited he was. Tone down the excitement. Be calm. Allow him time. Let him explore the cage and become familiar with it. The toys will be new and exciting and he will want to check them out. Don't invite neighbors over to see him just yet. Let him come to know you and only your family. Be careful to avoid accidents - take your time. Try not to let any "bad" things happen. Once he knows and trusts you, he will be able to accept an accident as just that. Hold him securely. Don't let him fall or be off balance when on your hand or knee. No earthquakes! Don't push him into accepting intimate petting until he is ready. He will accept you but he must be given time to do so. He needs to become comfortable - with you and his new environment.Remember he is just a baby and will need more sleep and more food than an adult bird. Give him all the food he will eat. He will not get fat. He should have food available at all times. In your situation extra care must be given in all areas because your bird isn't weaned yet. Don't bathe the bird alot until he's very comfortable and don't do it everyday. Make the inner feathers under the wings, vent area, lower breast area the most important to concentrate on as far as bathing goes.

Most of the things you're describing above usually apply to baby birds who have recently arrived. Prepare to understand that many weeks will go by before he understands everything that's going on..

It seems like your bird has gotten used to some everyday situations ( in your pics) but there's lots of other roads to walk on so be patient and he'll stay as happy as he looks. Good luck

Edited by Dave007

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Kia Ora Friends,

I'm curious to know how many toys should be in your baby's cage when he arrives home for the first time, and has to go in to a cage he's never seen before, which is potentially full of toys he doesn't know?

I've followed advice and put a towel down with newspaper on top of it in the bottom of the cage and have arranged the perches lower, the cage is not very deep (in case he slips and falls).