NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bringing home your Baby Grey.

lovemyGreys

The excitement and anxiety of bringing home that new baby parrot is a day you will long remember.In addition to the joy they bring us, it is our responsibility to teach them things that will help them integrate into our homes safely and happily. When you finally bring baby home, the manner in which you follow and the care you provide over the first few days will depend a lot on your individual bird.

Many will advise you to allow a new baby to remain in her cage for the first couple of days to allow her time to get used to her new home,However if your baby has been lovingly hand fed,i feel this is not the case. In the majority of cases, your new baby will be reassured by handling and respectful interaction.Imagine being brought into a new home & left in your cage.

When you bring a new baby home remove her from the carrier, and with her on your hand, proceed to show her the room in which her cage stands.Let her look at her new surroundings,talking & reassuring her constantly.If you have a playstand or playtop on the cage,let your baby have an explore around,Then later on introduce your baby to the cage,allow her to become familiar with it.

Your new baby may be cautious and watchful during the early days,be patient, gentle, and considerate towards him.

Remember a hungry baby is a scared, anxious baby. Strive to make sure she is eating enough those first few days.

Over a few days your baby should becomes more comfortable with her new cage and surroundings.

You will know when she is comfortable and relaxed because she will begin to vocalize, make chirps and perhaps whistles and will preen in front of you.

congratulations on your new baby & welcome to the wonderful world of owning a grey.<br><br>Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2008/04/13 00:11

• 2 weeks later...

I have gained what i know from intense reading,research,my genuine dedication to my own greys & my desire to help who i can.Im by no means experienced & like everyone im learning something new constantly,im like a sponge,i like to absorb every last drop of information i can ;)

Does she make any baby noises at all ? Is your house relatively calm ? this can have an effect on our greys, if it is a busy household they tend to be louder & noisier as they grow often to compete over the noise.They do tend to be more vocal in the mornings then on and off during the day, periods of calm & quiet, then a period of vocalizing.I wouldnt be too concerned if everything else is fine with Obi ;)

Our house is relatively quiet. I put the radio on during the daytime, and I'm in and out of the kitchen chatting to the birds throughout the day.

Today, I cleaned and had the music up pretty loud while cleaning their cages (two cockatiels in the kitchen as well in their own cage), spraying them, cleaning the floor, etc., but she still remained quiet.

When I came home tonight after my sewing class, the house was quiet because my husband worked late. When I flipped on the lights and walked over to her cage, I heard her make a sound which sort of sounds like step up, but that's it. Hopefully, she will become chatty and start making some sounds. The cockatiels are noisy, but Obi doesn't chatter or make sounds back at them either.

Maybe Obi is just getting used to her new home still. Greys seem slower to adjust to change than some birds; she just might need a little more time. There's a breeder who calls herself the African Queen who has a cd of wild greys, maybe it would help to play something like that for Obi?

Raposa, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check into the CD. I have a bird CD that my daughter had given to me with light music behind bird sounds. I played this CD while bringing him home in the carrier since it was a 1-1/2 hour trip - lol - but I'll definitely check out the Grey CD.

• 4 weeks later...
;):) :) Hi I will be getting my grey around the middle of July, can't seem to find a breeder locally so im having him from a local pet shop who has had parrots for as long as i can remember and i'm 42(:S )I just read lovemygreys post on bringing home your baby(excellent advice) but how will I know if he's been lovingly hand reard so that I can handle him soon as get him home, I have asked at the shop and they say that all their parrots are hand reared, but isn't that what they going to say that as thats what people want a hand reared one? or am I being silly:unsure: i'm due to put a deposite on him next week and would love to have as much contact with him b4 i bring him home but because he's in a shop I will feel awkward poping in and out all the time:blink: what do you guys think it's really appriciated:)

Hi Di - You wrote "because he's in a shop I will feel awkward poping in and out all the time what do you guys think it's really appriciated"

The best advice would be to consider yourself the customer of the store and you have every right to go and visit to interact with your new baby Grey. It will give you and he/she time to become accustomed to one another, which will make the transition of coming to a new home much easier by having a "Flock" member with him to comfort him.

It will also give you a good insight into his/her personality, foods being offered and those he likes/dislikes.

Congratulations!!! I'll bet July can not come fast enough for you. :-)

your right danmcq july seems ages away B) but thanks for the reply. I already know they the shop feeds them on a seed based diet which i have already decided to change once my grey comes home but you see he will be in the shop from next week until the end july because of my summer hol, i cant see the point of bringing him home only to leave him again for a week in a strange place with two even stranger teenagers:blink::P , so he will be on a seed diet until then do u recomend i stay with the seed at first then wean him gradually once he gets used to me?? and thanks for the reasurance I shall pop into the shop at least twice a week :) thanks again

Your welcome Di.

Yes, you will need to slowly wean him off of the Seed. You can do that by initially placing the pellets of your choice in the cage for him to experiment with. Then start reducing the amount of seed and have pellets available at all times.

once he has become somewhat familiar with the pellets, take the seeds, veggies and fruits out in the mornings and only leave the pellets in for the rest of the day until evening feeding time.

You will need to monitor his weight constantly to ensure he does not start losing weight. If weight is being lost, bump up the amount of seeds and nuts you offer him.

There is never a guarantee that a Parrot will switch 100% to pellets, as my Dayo hasn't. The key is to always offer a varied and well rounded diet of Seeds, Nuts, Pellets, Fruits and Veggies. This will ensure they receive all the protien, viatamins and minerals they need to maintian optimum health.

I personally believe too much pressure is put on people to get their Parrots on a 100% pellet diet. But, thats just my opinion. :-)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

i brought my 6 mos old girl home last night.I have been talkin to her and i took her out of her cage once on sunday. She is sleeping right now. She is allowing me to put my hand near her feet/belly. im hoping she will gain my trust and i will also learn to supress my fear of getting bit. im anxious to learn as much as i can. i hope that im doing the right thing. she allows me to pet her chest a little:cheer: . do you think she will come around with everyday, from what i read it will take some time. i hope. i think i might be wanting results too fast. good advice needed.

Mark,

It will take your baby a while to adjust to the new surroundings, people, routine etc.

Take things slowly and let your baby girl go at her own pace.

My 6 month old baby is only starting to show his true personality now and I have had him for over three months. They are all individuals as well so you may read of someone whos grey loves to be cuddled all day and others may not. You will find out what your bird is comfortable with.

Its early days and it sounds as though things are going really well for you. Have you posted any pictures in the Nursery yet? If you get time please post some in the Baby album for all of us to share.

Caroline.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. Lola is actually coming along. She has been in and out of her cage alot and loves to hang around on her playstand. She has the whole family asking about her. She isnt stepping up yet but will stay on my hand for a little while. Then she flys off and lands on the floor. She was checking out the house the other day. She was very curious about the different rooms and loved the chairs.