NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

complete veggie/fruit list.

ubecrew610

Wait. In the first page there's a list of vegetables and one of fruits. Are these all the safe fruits and veggies?

Those lists of fruit and veggies are safe for birds. Fruit has much less nutritional value than veggies. Fruits can be given but only in small amounts AND NOT EVERY DAY. Parrots like fruits soimply because they're sweet. Sometimes, fruits give parrots the shits. Concentrate on regular parrot foods and don't worry about fruits so much. In the wild, fruits are not a part of their normal everyday diet.

One other thing about fruits---if any have pits in them they need to be removed because some are toxic to parrots-----example----cherries.

Edited by Dave007

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Good treat, use Wacky-Mac which has 4 flavors, wheat, tomato, spinach, and beet's. Remember they swell when wet, so not to many, not before meal time. Our Grey's call them "Good-Nuts" lol

Do I give the pasta raw or cooked, sorry about being so new at this, I do not want to do anything wrong and worry about hurting Tweedy.

Thanks

Do I give the pasta raw or cooked, sorry about being so new at this, I do not want to do anything wrong and worry about hurting Tweedy.

Thanks

I know some people that feed it raw. I don't. One of the best ways to serve pasta is to buy a product called Gnocchi. It's potato/pasta balls. Cook and put them in tomato sauce and give your bird one. He can hold and eat it at the same time. Many greys love them. All of mine getvery excited when I'm cooking them. At the end, their claws may be a lottle dirty but the bird usually cleans it off quickly because the residue is tomato sauce and they love the taste.

I even give my quakers smaller pieces and they gobble it up.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
ok where do I find red palm oil and how much needs to be given and WHY is it good for the parrot? anyone?

Type in SWANSONS VITAMIN OUTLET. All of their thousands of products are much less expensive than other places because they're a huge vitamin outlet. I've done business with them for years.

When their main page opens up, look for any area that allows you to type in the product. Type in Red Palm Oil.

You'll then see the product which is 16 ounces. It will be listed as Red Palm Oil

Because you only have one bird, that container should last you about 8 to 12 months.

When the oil is purchased, it's thick in the container and has to be thinned out in order to use it. What I do is take an old small seasoning bottle,( like the type that oregano or parsley comes in )clean it thoroughly and then fill it with the oil. When opening the new container the oil has an orange color. The filled up seasoning bottle is put into the microwave for approx 25 seconds. The oil becomes very thin and the color of the oil is a rich red. I then take a wooden stick that's a little bit thicker than the ink tube in a ball point pen. I put the stick in the oil and let it drip on the pellets. Then I take the pellets and mix them in with their seed mixture. They don';t even know the oil is there. It can be used 2 to 3 x a week. The original container and the seasoning bottle can be put away wherever because no refrigeration is necessary. The name of the company that I give you sells it for $7.49 plus S/H per container. There are other companies that sell it but it's much more expensive. The product would have to be purchased online.No matter what company sells it, it's all the exact same thing. People who have serious digestive problems also use this product.

If you decide to use this product, after microwaving the glass container should be allowed to return to room temperature before using.

Price---$7.49

Amount of times to use---2x or 3x a week

1/2 teaspoon each use

Edited by Dave007

• 1 month later...

You can serve raw or cooked mashed chopped into different shapes or seasoned with a little Ginger, Cinnamon, red pepper flakes or a little Apple Cider Vinegar. It seems that different presentations appeal to different birds. Keep trying-you can also add to an omelet or birdy bread or a warm mash of cooked grains of your choice.

• 5 months later...
You can serve raw or cooked mashed chopped into different shapes or seasoned with a little Ginger, Cinnamon, red pepper flakes or a little Apple Cider Vinegar. It seems that different presentations appeal to different birds. Keep trying-you can also add to an omelet or birdy bread or a warm mash of cooked grains of your choice.

I thought cinnamon was on the toxic food list due to it being a form of narcotic?

I thought cinnamon was on the toxic food list due to it being a form of narcotic?

Cinnamon is perfectly good for all parrots. Many people mix it in with other foods because the greys are picky eaters. It makes the food more palitible.

It's not toxic nor is it a narcotic. Even other foods which are toxic to birds aren't narcotic. The toxic food is just bad for their digestive systems and arteries, livers, heart rate.

Hi, nutmeg is the bad one, no thanksgiving pumpkin pie. When you make your pie, feed your fids the seed, guts and all, then rinses some and air dry, don't heat, it destroys the nutrients...they can have the pumpkin to, just bake it a little, experiment, mix in some low fat yogurt, or ginger, sesame seeds, etc...Thanks Maggie

• 4 weeks later...

Every bird is different, so try it out. Some parrots only like cooked carrots, some only raw. Sondheim loves chicken and Burt can't stand it. Different strokes!

I feed all my veggies raw in a mash, with the exception of sweet potato (lightly steamed or boiled). Oddly enough, my greys dislike any kind of spice, so I leave it out. Try different ways...and then mix it up with variety, texture, etc. There are some incredible posts going around the board on different mashs. They may seem a little overwhelming at first, but soon becomes second nature.

• 3 months later...

Hi! When you get a chance, stop by the Welcome Room and tell us all about yourself and your fids (Feathered Kids)...There's smashes, there's mashes, there's glops, and layers..LOL...we call our mash a smash.Here is a forum post with our menu items and others. It is an older post so it is good for all ages of birds. We still feed ours the same recipes...Thanks, Jayd and Spock

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190462-We-Feed-Our-Fid-s!!!-Update

Edited by Jayd