complete veggie/fruit list.

ubecrew610

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Until recently –the past few decades – pet parrots have lived on a seed-based diet which has been supplemented by what many call “table foods” and a variety of fruit. We’re beginning to learn, however, that seed mixtures don’t supply your parrot with the overall nutrition needed for robust good health.

Why? For one thing, seeds don’t possess an adequate calcium and phosphorus ratio, which leads to a calcium deficiency. Vitamin A is also lacking in a seed mixture; this nutrient is essential to the bird’s immune system. Most importantly, seeds don’t even come close to providing the proper protein requirements a parrot needs.

Carmel Santos

Author of The Ultimate Guide to Parrots

The Australian Guide to Parrots

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Fresh veggies are always the best. Some veggies, like corn should be cooked to remove any fungus if present. Carrots, if lightly steamed enhances them. Potato' must be fully cooked and given sparingly. Corn also should only be given occasionally, it has very little food value....Thnks Jay d

• 1 month later...

I am going to try sweet potatos when we buy the stuff for thanksgiving, my bird likes a little bit of yogurt, he likes grapes and black berrys, we've tried many other fruits, he won't have any of it, he likes corn on the cob sometimes and potatos but for veggies that is about it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My Angel absolutely LOVES curly pasta. She will drop everything if she sees me coming with the baggie of it. It reminds me of myself with chocolate! : ) What can you tell me about pasta and Greys. Can you give them too much? Nutritional value? Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Harrisons High Potency food pellets state that they contain all that a bird needs to eat from a nutritional perspective (although you can give other foods for variety), does anyone know if these claims are true?

Thanks.

Inky.

Hi,

Harrisons High Potency food pellets state that they contain all that a bird needs to eat from a nutritional perspective (although you can give other foods for variety), does anyone know if these claims are true?

Thanks.

Inky.

Yes, your Grey can live on Harrison's, as well as Zupreem and many other top pellet diets.

The ingredients in Harrison's is:

Ingredients: *Ground Shelled Sunflower Seeds, *Ground Hulless Barley, *Ground Soybeans, *Ground Shelled Peanuts, *Ground Green Peas, *Ground Lentils, *Ground Yellow Corn, *Ground Rice, *Ground Toasted Oat Groats, Psyllium, *Ground Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Spirulina, Montmorillonite Clay, Ground Dried Sea Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Sea Salt, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein (min.) 18%, crude fat (min.) 15%, crude fiber (max.) 6.5%, moisture (max.) 10%.

Read what the ingredient are...They are Filler and added supplements!!! A lot of Forum members use them, BUT!!! They also feed fresh veggies, legumes, grains, nut's, and a little fruit...

A point to take note of is, A grey absorbs very little D3 from food or supplement, 99% of D3 is derived from natural sun light,[15min a day] or UVB natural florescent indoor bulbs...[4-8hr's a day]Another point is most pellet are made with high heat, which as you know degrades nutrition found in the products.

A better alternative is to: keep fresh seed's and pellets available 24/7 [[sunflower-less] Serve a Mash or Smash for breakfast and dinner, in the afternoon supply fresh veggies, [dark green leafy veg's, carrots, split peas[green and yellow] lentils [green and yellow] etc, very little fruit, nuts and sunflower seed's for treats and training rewards.

If you wish for a simpler diet: seeds and pellets, fresh veggies in the afternoon, sunflower seeds and nuts for treats..[change fresh foods every 3-4hr's]

Check out these threads....

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?112983-Nutrition-Diet

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?190462-We-Feed-Our-Fid-s!!!-Update

My Angel absolutely LOVES curly pasta. She will drop everything if she sees me coming with the baggie of it. It reminds me of myself with chocolate! : ) What can you tell me about pasta and Greys. Can you give them too much? Nutritional value? Thank you!

Good treat, use Wacky-Mac which has 4 flavors, wheat, tomato, spinach, and beet's. Remember they swell when wet, so not to many, not before meal time. Our Grey's call them "Good-Nuts" lol

Thnks JayD. I will try to give as varied food as possible as you suggest, but there will be some days where I may have to go with the simpler diet. But I now have enough to start the ball rolling in the right direction. I have just been reading the threads on flighted v non flighted birds. I will not buy a baby that has been clipped but I am worried that since I am in a wheelchair, at the times that my husband and our housekeeper are not around that I will not be able to keep our CAG in check. Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...