NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

complete veggie/fruit list.

ubecrew610

Here is a list of vegetables:

VEGETABLES

Vegetables add bulk and roughage to your pet's diet. They need plenty of roughage to chew on. All vegetables should be washed with mild soap and scrubbed with a vegetable brush. The following vegetables are safe and nutritious. It is just a basic list and a good, safe place to start.

Broccoli - whole vegetable

Lettuce - romaine, chickory, boston, aruula, etc. Any but iceberg, which has little or no nutritional value.

Sweet potato - Raw or slightly microwaved (45-60 seconds per sweet potato). It tastes sweeter that way, but is still crunchy and appetizing.

Cauliflower - whole vegetable chopped up

White potatoes - whole spud, chopped up. Remove all eyes, as they are poisonous.

Squash - zucchini, acorn, spaghetti, butternut, yellow, pumpkin, etc. Any portion of the squash is good, especially the seeds. They are high in silenium and other healthy minerals.

Melon - watermelon (pits are okay), canteloupe (rind is toxic), canary melon, sabra melon, honeydew - the flesh is good, remove seeds and rind.

Tomato - the tomato only, leaves and stem are toxic

Carrots - whole plant is great!

Beets- The whole plant served raw is supernutritious.

Corn - On the cob, cut into 1 inch sections, no more than 2 sections per bird daily. Corn can cause problems with proper calcium metabolism, so although it is usually relished by all birds, it must be limited.

Turnips- The turnip itself and the greens. The greens are rich in vitamin A

Kale- Rich in Vitamin A, E, K

Watercress- Rich in vitamin A, C, E

Collard Greens - Rich in vitamin A, C, Potassium, Calcium

Dandelion - Rich in vitamin A. If you collect your own, make sure they are untreated chemically.

Chicory -Vitamin A

Mustard Greens

Cabbage - Cut horizontally to avoid long stringy pieces.

Kohrabi

Brussell Sprouts - Sprouts on the stalk can be hung in the cage as a perch or food toy.

Swiss Chard

Peas

Beans- Beans will be covered in the following section in detail.

Celery- peeled and cut up in samll horizontal pieces, so there are no long stringy hard to digest pieces to obstruct digestion.<br><br>Post edited by: judygram, at: 2008/02/14 03:32

This is a list of fruits:

FRUITS

Fresh fruits, thoroughly washed and rinsed in order to remove dirt and any chemical pesticide residues should make up a large portion of a bird basic diet. The following are recommended but do not use the pits - many are poisonous: apples, oranges, cherries, pears, nectarines, plums, peaches, whole cranberries, papaya, mango, persimmons, apricots, leechees (seeds OK), pomegranites (the seeds are the best part), bananas, grapes - seeded or seedless, berries - black, blue, raspberries, mulberries, currants are all great. Commercially grown strawberries have the highest level of stored pesticide residues of any fruit or vegetables, so should be avoided. Homegrown or organic strawberries are fine. This is just a basic list, many other fruits can be fed.

I feed most any of the vegetables like sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, green beans and peas, I stick with the stage 1 foods. Try fixing him a little oatmeal and mix in some of the baby food in it and serve it, I also add a quarter teaspoon of red palm oil to it also and mix well, Josey gobbles it up, Sunny slurps some of it too.:laugh:

Casper i feed babyfoods, i feed all the vegtable ones,pasta ones,fruit ones.i dont personally out of choice feed the meats ones ! sometimes i tip it over the veg , slightly warmed or spread the fruit ones on a piece of wholemeal toast or i spoon feeed it, theres a whole variety of ways to use it ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

has anybody tried kewi for thier greys? i was reading the list and it was not there. dont want to give him/her something that might hurt it..my grey dont seem to be eating his veggies and fruit as well as my conure and quakers any ideas as to why? one of the workers @ work sugested i blend it some.

ty for the list btw i copied it also it will be goin 2 the store w/me next time..

Yep Kiwi is fine,a big hit with my 4 greys ;)

Yes you can try serving some veggies slightly mashed & warm,they all like them different ways,some cooked,some raw,it's just a case of finding out what your grey likes,try eating some in front of your grey,sometimes their very tempted to try what we are eating ;)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your response, Tracy (am I remembering your name right?:blush:)

There's a flowering quince bush growing next to an abandoned church where I park my car at work - loaded with fruit which will soon be ripe. (Winter's coming on quick here...) I know nobody in the world cares a hoot about it, and it just occurred to me I might see if Maxi likes 'em.

I will wait to see if you or someone else knows for sure that they're safe before I harvest any!:)

• 4 weeks later...