NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Quitting smoking

Laurie

I know what you mean about the annoyance of non-smokers (specially complete strangers) telling you you should just quit, as though it's like just turning off a light switch. Almost makes me want to have another smoke right there.

There was this one time I was having a smoke in a designated smoking area and this stranger saw us smoking and actually went out of her way to walk past us and into the smoke and commented to her friend with her that people should be made to quit smoking. While, she had on this strong perfume that was just nasty (and actually gave me a headache). After her comment I turned to my friend and said "people should not be allowed to where perfume like that, don't they know that can give people miagraines and put them out of commission for days?". The look she gave back to me, LOL.

My point is (and was) we all do things that annoy people and vica versa so don't get to high on yourself when you see someone doing something that annoys you and think "at least I don't do that" because we all do something that others view the same way.<br><br>Post edited by: Imme, at: 2008/02/28 19:25

I know, I once had a 400-lb man tell me that smoking wasn't the healthiest decision. Ummm, ok.

FairY, you should go on Amazon.com and look at books to help you quit. There is one called, "Quitting Smoking when you don't want to." This may be for you.

We've all heard of those who smoked until they were 90 and died of a non-smoking related illness. We can hope that's us. I would NEVER judge someone for wanting to continue to smoke. As for me, I do want to quit. My lungs feel like crap, my car stinks, and I spend at least part of my valued time at home with my son and my bird trying to "escape" to somewhere where it's ok to smoke. Plus, it's expensive in my neck of the woods. I'd rather buy treats for me & my family.

Any-hoo, I made a doctor appt and it's on March 19. I will find out what kind of help I can get then. Until then, I'll try to keep it as minimal as possible. The good news (or bad news, depending on how you look at it) is that I so rarely have a chance to party like I did while I was on that trip (OMG, margaritas that are free AND unlimited) that I doubt I'll run into that challenge anytime soon after I quit again! :)

I will keep checking back in the mean time in case anyone's out there looking for advice or support!

Best of luck on the 19th Laurie.

Fairy I wouldnt even try to quit if you dont want to. I don't believe you would be able to. As dblhelix says if you want to quit you will. If you don't you won't. I was happy with my decision to smoke for a long long time, and smoked happily knowing the risks. After my brothers death I just wasnt happy to smoke any more and finally managed to quit 2 years later.

At the end of the day it IS your life. Why on earth should anyone else tell you what to do. I am definitely with Imme on this one. I remember the first time I drove in America on the wrong side of the road. I had my 3 kids in the back and my frantic husband in the front. When I finally got where we were going I was in a heap. So I rolled down all the windows in the car, front and back and had a smoke. And of course the caring citizen comes over and starts lecturing me on smoking in the car with the kids. I just kept saying thank you for your concern over and over again. But she wouldnt leave me alone. Eventually I told the kids in Irish to roll up the windows. As one all the windows in the car closed and she just kept on talking. It was brilliant :)

{Feel-good-0002006E}

You guys make me laugh. Thanks, that was good :laugh:

Laurie - best of luck on the 19th, I am sure you're gonna make it. I once heard that quit smoking only takes being convinced that you actually WANT to quit ;)

Stupid weekends.

I find for myself that trying to quit smoking, it is the weekends that are the hardest. At least during the week you have things to keep yourself occupied and busy with at work, etc. But the weekend is a time to relax and get ready for next week for me. It is these times that are or so very difficult. And sitting here at noon on Saturday I am literally climbing the walls wanting one. Plus, i am about to get into the car and go drive for two hours each way to visit my bird (the car is where I smoke the most). AGHHHHH!!!!!

Hi everyone, just stumbled across this page today, its fab. I have been a smoker for 14 years and stopped 3 weeks ago yesterday. It has been hell and jeez my hubby and daugher have suffered!! But Eddie loves it as I've spent loads of time cleaning his cage and changing toys around! Stick with it, I would like to say it does get easier but on only week 3 I would still rob my granny for a cig!:blink: It must get better surely??:unsure:

I must confess there were 1 or 2 teeny little rows in our house the first couple of months. My kids probably wondered who this raving monster was who would literally become hysterical over a dirty sock found on the floor or a teaspoon which wasnt in the dishwasher. You understand don't you? Just teeny weeny rows, tiffs really, hardly worth mentioning actually!

But now I consider myself to be quite sane, relatively speaking :)

No seriously though, it is hard, very very hard. But it is well worth it, financially, personally and everything. Not to mention how proud you will feel when you FINALLY kick the habit. 3 weeks is great - don't knock it....

And sure maybe a few more members might join you???? Any takers???

Siobhan

Hey Laurie.....a little story, I am on a 6.5 hour plane trip and just the thought of it causes anxiety right? well, when you are on the plane, you know you don't have a choice as to whether you will light up or not light up. LIGHTING UP IS NOT AN OPTION. No matter where you are. If you think for one second, let it enter your mind for one second, that it is an option, thats where we begin to fail. To help deal with my anxiety while I was on the plane, I made a list of all the bad things about smoking I could think of, which really helped. Keep moving along girl.........:cheer:

Laurie, the wellbutrin really does help doesnt it!! I was really surprised! I found that as far as the physical withdrawals, the feeling you get in your head when its time to light up? I didnt have that....my biggest problem is I am so flippin emotionally attached to the cigs that when i don't have them, I cry, ALOT! My doctor suggested the next time i try quitting maybe take an additional, but small, dose of antidepressants with the wellbutrin. I don't know if you remember or read my earlier post in february but i am the one going to the mayo clinic april 11th for a week for the nicotine addiction program. Chantix is a new medicine they have come out with that is for nicotine addiction. I'm not sure which I will use yet but the plan is to be on it a week prior to admitting myself to the clinic:unsure:

I think I realised that it was possible last year when we were lucky enough to go to the Maldives on honeymoon. As the smoking was banned in the airports, I ended up going without one for about 16 hours and it was only at the Male airport when I realised I'd not thought about them. It has taken me another 9 months to actually take the leap though. I'm using the 2mg chewing gum. People have said it helps you not put on weight as your chewing instead but I take it out to eat and re use it after!:sick: Think I've gained 10lbs but hey ho, according to my quit calender, I've saved £117 and a whole day of my life. WHY DO I STILL WANT ONE??

Keep it up everyone and keep me updated for some motivation and inspiration! Hopefully I can give a little back!

xx

Hey, all! My little post has come to life again! Well my dr appt is next week. If I remember correctly they have you take Wellbutrin for about a week before quitting, so I estimate my next quit date will be around the 26th of March. Ish.

Yes, the last quit was cold turkey (by accident) and I cried a lot. Since it wasn't appropriate to cry at work, or in front of my son, I would bawl in my car (learned to keep Kleenex there) or lock myself in the bathroom at home. Why the crying? I don't know! I'm not normally a big cryer. I want to re-read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking, too. I think that will help. I lent it to my mom-in-law though because she's trying to quit. Get this one! She is trying to get life insurance and they quoted her an insurance premium. Then, they told her if she was a non-smoker they'd cut it in HALF! She asked how long she had to be smoke free to get the non-smoker rate and they said one year. She said she'd be back in a year.

Also, FunkyGirl, I liked your comment about lighting up not being an option. Somewhere I saw something written about no excuses for smoking. Not a bad day. Not bankruptcy. Not death of a loved one. Not a hurricane or mudslide. Not a terrorist attack. It went on and on and was actually funny when I thought about it!

Best to all of you - keep up the good work!

• 3 weeks later...

It's on again!

I quit last night at 8:40 pm. Almost 24 hours now and I'm doin' alright!

I keep thinking about my hero, Allen Carr, who points out that people don't want to quit because they don't want to deal with the cravings. But if you smoke a pack a day, aren't you really dealing with 20 cravings a day? So, what's better here: Not smoking and dealing with a few cravings a day, or smoking and having to give yourself a fix 20 freaking times a day? I love, love, love that book and I wish every smoker would read it. It's helping me tremendously!

Hi Laurie

WELL DONE GIRL!!! I am so proud of you. This time you can do it. My best tip to you today is dont think about the rest of your life not smoking because I know that really scared me, but think about not smoking the next ciggie. If you put off smoking the next cigarrette indefinitely you will be a non smoker!!

Funkygirl, your quit date is only a couple of weeks away now isnt it? How are you holding up? Still set for the 11th?

Good luck you all bravehearts B) I don't want to quit, but I am sure that even if I wanted I could never do it.

So your all hero's in my book ;)

Can someone play the theme from "Rocky" in the background please? Thank you...

I am on Wellbutrin and it is working fabulously! If I compare this quit with the last one in February, it's like night & day. I continued smoking while taking the Wellbutrin and, as promised, before long cigs started to taste gross and make me feel ill. It wasn't too difficult to stop after that.

The last quit I did (which failed) was pretty much cold turkey and I was a basket case. So, MUCH smoother this time around.

Thanks for your support, all!

I shall keep you posted...