NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Quitting smoking

Laurie

Thank you, Judy - I appreciate it.

I have been smoke free for one week now.

I wish I could say I'm having an easy time. It's not always easy. But it does get better each day. This weekend is tough because I live with 2 smokers, and they've been home all weekend (don't usually see them during the week, opposite shifts and all that). Anyway, they are banished to the basement to smoke. I can't make them go outside, it's 8 degrees F outside. Count 'em. 8. LOL

So, I've had the challenge of running through the basement to do laundry while they're down there puffing away. I'm happy to say I didn't cave.

I saw a good quote on QuitNet today: "Quit smoking now. You can learn to like it later." That's kind of where I'm at right now.

Oh, and I went for some retail therapy today. Went to Target and got some stuff for my trip, which is this coming Thursday. Plus treated myself to new bedside lamps for my bedroom. It was nice to do that.

Ok sorry this is kinda long... thanks for listening. Hope you all are having a good weekend!

I love looking at smokers. Think to myself I NEVER have to go outside for a ciggy again. I never have to worry about the length of a flight again. Next time you go to the basement, think to yourself, at least I don't have to come ddown here on a regular basis!

Sorry to all of you that still smoke, but I look at smokers and I feel sorry for them, because some day they have to go through what I did to quit. And Laurie, you are 99.9% there now...

I have friends who smoke, and I never comment one way or the other. They even smoke in my house. I didnt like visiting non smoker friends because I always wanted to leave so I could have a puff! So I vowed that I wouldnt do that to my friends, They walk in and I take out an ashtray but I have no desire to join them.

Keep up the good work.... any one else tempted to quit yet?

Thanks for your support Siobha, Judy, everyone!

It really does get easier every day.

My mother in law smoked in front of me today (usually she doesn't, but today she was really stressed). It didn't bother me.

My challenge now is not to get over confident. I see that over and over on QuitNet how people started feeling so good about their quit that they decided to have one, just to prove they can do it and not get hooked again. I've never made it this far before and I don't want to tempt fate!

Hey Laurie,

It's been a week since anyone's posted in this thread so I am wondering how the quitting smoking is coming along? I read the thread because I've decided to try to quit again with the bird coming in just a few weeks and best not to smoke around him (although I haven't smoked in my house for a year. Yes, I go outside/garage no matter how cold it gets).

I myself am at day three using the patch. It has worked in the past (through the patch stages and continued to quit at least 2 weeks means the patch did it's job, I just got too confident like you said above and went to a pub after six months, while, you know what happened, I'm trying to quit again).

Yes, I started on a Monday like you but I find that gives me the best start. Work keeps me busy so I don't have to fight it all day, just the usual times I would go for a smoke. It's the weekends that are tough for me. And the worst thing for me is being around someone smoking. Drives me CRAZY! I wouldn't be able to go to the basement or I will smoke. That is always my downfall, but I can't not go to family members houses who smoke. That is my weak area.

Anywayz, enough rambling on. Just thought I would check to see how it is going for you.

You just HAD to remind us all that Laurie is on a cruise :( I am soooo jealous! Sitting here in the freezing cold as I have been out all morning and the range went out.

Best of luck Imme with quitting. You will not regret it I promise. I know shock tactics probably dont work, but I had reason to be on a cancer ward this week and it is very very sad. But do you know what I couldnt believe? Every nurse and doctor I met was stinking of cigarettes. Wouldnt you think they would know better? One nurse told me she started smoking at 32 years old. Unbelievable !

Siobhan

Well, I promised to be honest, and honest I will be.

I started smoking again while on the cruise. The friend that I took with me smokes, and we (how do I say this?) - Well, we partied like rock stars! It was a lot of fun. I was stupid enough to think that I would be able to quit again instantly upon returning. I have not been smoking much, but I definitely have been. I'm sorry to let you guys down. And myself. But I will quit again, definitely. And soon. I proved something to myself earlier this month (that it is do-able). And next time around I will be more prepared.

To those of you who have quit, or are quitting - more power to you! I'm with ya (or will be with ya) soon!

That's the motto I used. I tried to quit for 2 whole years... And I mean REALLY tried to quit. So by my reckoning by 2010 you will be a non-smoker!!

The thing that most non smokers don't realise is how hard it is. It is the hardest thing you will ever ever do. And you did REALLY great and you will again when you are back in the right frame of mind. I wish you the very very best of luck the next time you try.

But do me a favour, and dont quit cos you think we would feel let down or your family or the people in Quitnet, the only reason to quit is because you want to, and feel ready to, not because it is expected of you by anyone else. So my advise is, give it a few weeks or months and try again, but dont start again today because your confidence in yourself has taken a battering and you need to have all the confidence you can to get through it.

I am SOOO proud of you for trying, you really did marvellous! I am sending some karma your way ;)

Siobhan

Oh, my gosh! You all are so NICE!

I can't believe I'm getting a pat on the back for making it only 10 measly days.

Well, the plan now is to make a dr appt and do the next attempt with actual professional help. I know hypnotism works for a lot of people - it just wasn't the answer for me. Plus, going on a party vacation so soon after quitting wasn't my most brilliant moment in planning.

But I do give myself credit for trying, and I feel confident that I will be done with the #$%& things someday soon.

Thanks again for listening to me, and for your support!

I applaud anyone that is trying to quit! I have never ever smoked, but everyone in my family has and still does. My husband finally quit. He stopped smoking cigs and went to cigars thinking they weren't habit forming. they were worse than the cigs. He has been almost two years come Memorial weekend without one. They do have this new drug out to help people to quit smoking it starts with a "C" I can't think of it right now, but there are a ton of people I know on it and they are doing really well! I wish you all luck!

Laurie-

I just came upon this thread and read it from beginning to end. I was a smoker for many years and quit and started back too many times to count. I think I know how you're feeling right now. At least, I know how I felt in the same circumstance. I was sooo relieved to be smoking again. Yes, I was disappointed in myself for starting back, but the mental, emotional and PHYSICAL relief far overshadowed my disappointment in myself. This in a nutshell is why it is so difficult to stop.

You'll try again, as you said. You'll get all your ducks in a row, make sure the Farmer's Almanac says it's a good time to quit, stock up on patches (or not), stock up on Wellbutrin. Circle the date on your calendar. Maybe it will take next time, maybe not. That's the thing. Once we've been smokers, we can never be non-smokers. Right now, I'm not smoking. I haven't had a cigarette in 2-1/2 years. I'm not naive enough to say I will never smoke again. I hope I won't, but I know it isn't a sure thing as long as I live. All I can do is do my best day to day to remember that "just one" is a trick of my addiction -- which is sometimes sleeping but never banished.

Okay, sorry for the long post, especially since this thread is essentially done. For anyone who sees the thread in the future, though, I wanted to post how I "quit". Laurie, you were hypnotized but it didn't work for you or your brother or husband. I was hypnotized and it did work. I don't know about your hypnotist, but if it was a group hypnotism -- I don't think that works very well. My hypnotism was one-on-one with a phychiatrist. He spent almost two hours with me, first talking with me to gain my trust, then doing a couple of preliminary hypnotisms before the main event. Apparently you go deeper each time you're taken into and then brought back out of hypnosis. Finally, he recorded the final hypnotism and instructed me to listen to the tape at last two times a day for the first week, then once a day for the next week and once a week thereafter. I haven't listened to it since the second week, but so far the effects have stuck.

A funny side note: I had absolutely no intention of quitting when I walked into his office. I thought I would give it a shot but I wasn't at all expecting that I would never smoke again when I left his office. When I did leave his office he asked me if I had any cigarettes in the car and if I did I was to bring them to him and throw them away. I told him no, there are no cigarettes in my car, all the while seeing in my mind's eye the pack on my dashboard and anticipating the smoke I would have when I finally got away from him. I walked to my car, reached in, grabbed the pack and then I walked to the trash can a short distance away and threw them away! What was I thinking?!!! So I got in my car and drove to the corner store to buy some more. I parked, but couldn't get out of the car. I was terrified that when I drew the smoke into my lungs it would feel like I was breathing in flames... because that's what the hypnotist suggested it would feel like.

Anyway, I'm no longer afraid of the flames but I'm still not smoking. I'm just very thankful that I found a hypnotist who knew it would take a very powerful visualization to make me not smoke.

Good luck to you next time Laurie. Take it from someone who smoked for 30 years... my quality of life as a non- smoker is so much superior to my life as a smoker that I can't even begin to express it.

YOU GO GIRL!!!! I am headed to the Mayo Clinic in Minneapolis April 11th for a week of becoming Nicotine free!! I have tired to quit many times. My doctor says there is a new medication out called Chantix that really helps. I will be using either that or the bupropion. Bupropion really is quite effective as far as the physical withdrawals go. I was surprised!! Ask a doctor about it and try it. Less side effects with that than the Chantix. Don't give up!!

Funky girl

Thanks Kat for sharing your story with us, what works for one person may not work for another but glad it worked for you. I am so proud of you and I cannot imagine how smokers must feel since I am a nonsmoker but I know it is a hard thing to do.

Maybe Laurie can try the hypnotism again but on a one on one deal like you did but regardless if she wants to quit I wish her the best of luck and to anyone else out there that wants to quit.

Good luck to you too Funkygirl, if you want it you can do it.

These are all great stories of encouragement. Even if you had a fall back, atleast you tried Laurie. :-)

Ive been ther done that and will also quit again too.

I have heard good things about Chantix, but have never heard of Bupropion. Thanks for that information Funkygirl and good luck on your week long stay at the Mayo Clinic!!

This thread is definately not at an end, it is still just the beginning and will help all us smokers that want to quit!!!

I really don't want this thread to end, because it's still a big issue for me.

Kat, I know what you mean about the "relief" to be smoking again. How stupid is that? But true! We had another little snow squall here in Michigan today and it was comforting to know I'd have my cigs while making the dreadful commute. Aaargh!

The other thing that's kind of mind blowing is how EASY it is to start again. That's the best I've ever done: 10 days. That's about the 4th or 5th time I tried to quit. And each time it was completely effortless to just fall back into it.

I'm going to listen to whatever the doctor advises me, but I'm leaning toward Wellbutrin for my next attempt. I did Wellbutrin on one of my last quits and was doing pretty well until my marriage fell apart. (And no, my marriage did not fall apart because I was such a &%$# from not smoking! LOL)

Anyway, thank you all so much for sharing your stories and for all the encouragement. You guys are the best!

Hey, I think I finally figured out this site. I would post a message and then get an e-mail when notifying me to someone replying. While, recently all my posts were replies which I guess I don't get notification on and here I thought nobody was replying to me :dry: .

Anyway, with on with an update on my attempt. I broke down this weekend and ended up buying a pack of cigs (that lasts me 2-2 1/2 days). However, once the pack was done I put the patch back on. It is oh so difficult but I'm not ready to stop trying. It's a slip but not a fall yet.

I know what you mean about the whole party thing making you start again, I think I explained how that got me started again after stopping for 6 monthes in my last post. You know your ready to try again once you have that resolve/desire to try again.

Hope you try again as this thread has inspired me to try, try, try again so no matter what, your effort has not been in vain.:P

Well done Imme. At least you are trying again. You must be really determined.

Laurie and Kat I know what you mean about the relief to be smoking. I got some really really bad news last week, which I am still struggling to come to terms with. And you have no idea how many times in the past week I wished that I still smoked. Even though life has thrown all sorts at me since I quit, here I am wishing I smoke :(

The good news is, I don't and I didnt take one, even though my hubbie still smokes and I could have nicked one of his. This is a major blow, but I will get through it without going back on the cigarettes. But I can understand why people smoke again having been off them for years.

Judy is right. What worked for one may not work for all and hopefully this thread helps. Here is a dose of what was reality for me and please don’t take this the wrong way. The key to quitting is will power. Period. If you truly decide to quit, you will quit. You don’t need a patch or some pills, that’s just a marketing ploy by companies to make money and sell you one crutch for another. It is totally and completely in your control.

It is not easy. The physical and mental addiction is real. Your body and brain become dependent on the nicotine. If you try to quit and relapse it does not make you a bad person. Happens to most people. But see it for what it is. If you decide to stop, you can and will stop. I believe the key is truly realizing you have control. Its all up to you, but you have to be committed. Focus the energy elsewhere. Try and get a “healthy addition”.

I used to dip every day for 10 years. Ah that taste, the buzz, the relaxation…Then one of my dogs got nasty mouth cancer. An ugly tumor growing out of her gums. It would bleed, was always raw and smelly due to constant saliva on open sore. It got as big as a golf ball protruding out of her lips with this disgusting undulating flesh, almost brain like and sinister. We had it cut out several times, had her on some chemo and some home remedies. It finally spread and we put her down when the suffering was outweighing her quality of life.

The next day I quit dipping. Cold turkey. Threw out whatever I had. The thought of that dip possibly causing me to have a tumor like that was what it finally took. It was not easy, I had chills, headaches and cravings…still do. I have not dipped for over 6 years now. Every time I get the craving, I think about my poor doggy, and I do still get the craving.

I wish all of you out there trying to quit the best. Don’t give up. If you try and fail keep trying! You can do it, it is up to you and only you. There is no other magic solution.

Peace.

What a sad story, dblhelix! I agree, the key is realizing you have control. I do think for many people it's hard to believe you have control until after a few weeks of success -- and that's where all the tricks and crutches are helpful.

One trick that helped me: Get some plastic drinking straws, cut them into cigarette-size lengths, put them into an empty cigarette pack, and substitute that for your cigarettes. Draw fresh clean air into your lungs through the straw whenever you reach for a cigarette, chew it, hold it between your fingers, use it to calm the physical addiction. That will help get you through a few of those crucial first hours...

For my part, I used patches in many of my attempts and all those attempts ended in failure. I would be doing oh so well, but when I finally weaned myself from the patch I would be smoking again within a week. So I agree, for me anyway patches were not the answer.

Welbutrin was helpful to me, but you do have to be very careful about how you wean yourself from the Welbutrin. I had the same experience with Welbutrin as with patches for several quit attempts -- quit the Welbutrin, started smoking again. Then I figured out I had to stop the Welbutrin even more gradually than the doctor recommended and was successful.

As you say, we all are different, these are just things I noticed worked -- or didn't work -- for me. All you future ex-smokers keep trying. It's hard, but it gets easier every hour you hold out.

Good luck!

Kat

is it also ok not wanting to quit? to take a fully conscience decision to take the consequences and calculate them against the pleasure i have from smoking?

is this permissable? is this acceptable or,.... am i to be damned to choose something that others might not chose for? :unsure:

LOL, I certainly wouldn't damn you :lol: We all have our own path to walk and if your path includes smoking, that's none of my business. Nothing annoyed me more when I was smoking than to have someone, especially someone who never smoked, tell me I should quit. Now that I think about it, I'm not too crazy about anyone using that "should" word to me for any reason :P