NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Quitting smoking

Laurie

I'm going to try to quit smoking again.

I wonder if we have any ex-smokers out there who would have any support/tips (perhaps a gadget which I could hook up to myself which would shock me if I try to light up?).

Of course I can't smoke much now. With a young son at home (and a darling, gorgeous parrot) and a non-smoking workplace, there's hardly an "appropriate" time to do it, but I have been managing to do it, and have decided to quit.

I'm going to have hypnotism on Sunday, Feb 3rd.

Has anyone ever done the hypnotism?

Not to try & turn this place into a quit-smoking-support-group forum (I already belong to QuitNet) - but you guys are always so helpful with everything I thought I'd throw it out there.

(Even an atta-girl would help! Thanks!)

• Like 1

Atta-girl, you quit smoking, this will go good with the weight loss you are doing now too. I have never smoked but I do harp on people who do smoke about quitting for their health and for the health of their birds and other pets. So you have my support but I don't have any tips for you since I am a nonsmoker.:)

I would be interested in knowing how the hypnotism works for you, hmmm.:P

• Like 1

I lack will power.. Also I have tried to quit in the past only for Bill to decide that I am pretty unbearable to live with and he has gone out and bought them so I wont be so crabby:blink: Kudos to you girl I am proud of you and here to support you all the way!!

• Like 1

I need to quit...but I love it! I would like to quit soon because I see what it does to you when you get older (my step-mom got COPD at like, 45) and I really don't want to look like a catchers mit ether. I keep telling myself "it's not a good time now, maybe next month". Geesh...what the mind will tell you when it's hooked on something.

• Like 1

I smoke too, but I did quit from 1982 to 1992...had a very stressful job, went to a bar one night and woke up with a pack of ciggies next to me. I guess the good side of the story, is it wasn't a woman :laugh:

When I quit cold turkey, the only thing that kept me from smoking was staying busy. I mean REALLY busy all the time. Work, home wash the car, wax the car, mow the lawn, chase wifey around the house ;) paint house, paint neighbors house....anything to stay busy.

After about a month, the desire to choke the living hell out of someone or something finally passed :-) From then on it was no sweat.......until the bar.......do not go to a bar when trying to quit smoking, in fact, don't go to one after you have quit that has a ciggy machine!!!<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/01/31 21:02

I have to quit to!!:) I made a bargin with myself years ago that if I ever got a Grey I would quit smoking! So, I started with cutting back (down to under 10 a day!!) and I am looking into the new drug Chantix. It's the one that blocks the nicotine receptors in your brain so you get nothing from smoking. I have two friends that have quit recently with it with good success. I'm ready to at this point, while I like it...I don't want it anymore. My mom is an ex smoker (cold turkey) and she keeps going on and on about how great it will make you feel. She used carrots as a low cal oral fixation crutch, that and sugar free lollies.

Go for it. I have never smoked but have done a lot of reading on it cause my husband is a smoker. My understanding is it takes more then once for it to stick.

My mom quit four or five times and was smoke free the last year of her life and she got less sinus infections.

My Grandfather one morning got up and nearly killed himself looking for a cancer stick. When he found one he just sat on the bed and looked at it and decided that he did not want to do that anymore and threw it away. Was smoke free the last 7 years of his life.

My husband on the other hand has only quit once right after one of his lungs collapsed. It only lasted a year he has never tried to quit again. I would of never gone out with him if he was smoking when we met. lol He started again about 6 months after we started dating. /sigh

Do it for you. Do it for your loved ones. Do it for the non smokers that don't care to die from second hand smoke.

Just do it.:woohoo:

Good luck

Wow, as usual you guys are the best! I was looking for a little pat on the shoulder, and I got an avalanche! Thank you so much.

I am fascinated to see what happens with hypnotism. Most people I've asked said they quit for awhile (anywhere from 8 days to 3 years) but then went back. I've also heard of those that got hypnotised and NEVER went back. (I hope I fall into the latter category.) I will definitely let you guys know how it goes. I have quit before using patches, anti-depressants (to deal with that "crabby" feeling). I have actually found myself smoking a cig while having a patch on my arm! (I know, pathetic.) So, here we go again...I'll keep you guys posted!

Judy "Heck I know that crabby feeling too and I don't smoke, does that mean I am really a you know what!!!!!! OMG" :laugh:

Thats ok hun Bill tells me even if I didn't smoke I would still be one of those :P

I have several friends who have used the Chantex with awesome results. Although now they can't stand the smell of smoke. I have smoked long enough I know it isn't just the nicotine addiction its the addiction to the habit aswell.

Post edited by: Bailey, at: 2008/02/01 10:39<br><br>Post edited by: Bailey, at: 2008/02/01 10:40

nevjoe wrote:

People who have never smoked should have not posted here, because they know nothing about the subject. If you never smoked, that's GREAT, but pleas try to refrain from advice, and I mean that with kindness.

Joe

Joe that's a bit harsh ! everyone is welcome to contribute to all topic's , smoker or non smoker ! We all have opinions & are entitled to have our say.

This thread is to support Laurie in her quest to kick the habit, not to discriminate against who is or isnt permitted to post.

Joe i just felt you was discriminating against the non - smokers asking them to refrain from posting ! i will not be drawn into a full blown debate,as i said before we all have different opinions & everyone's input on this topic is welcomed.

Please may we now get back to the topic in hand which is to support Laurie & any additional members who are trying to give up smoking.

Did I miss something? What's a "Sticky?"

Okay, so today was the day - I went to hypnotism. I went with my husband and his brother. They both are already smoking again so apparently it didn't work well for them.

I am struggling today. I WANT a ciggy. I learned at the seminar today I don't need one. Trying like heck for mind-over-matter as far as wanting one.

I think the mistake I made was going in thinking it was going to be magic - that I'd walk out as though I'd never picked up a cigarette in my life.

It was very helpful, I would say, in helping you understand the addiction better.

I also purchased a CD, and while going a little batty here earlier today I sat down and listened to it. It helped a little.

All I can say now is, "One day at a time."

Thanks for listening, guys!

A sticky means it will always be at the top of the list in the room it is in which happens to be off-topic discussions so you can find it quicker.

I have never smoked but I can imagine it is not easy to quit and there is no magic fix but if you want it badly enough you will find a way to do it. We will be here to help you in any way we can and just take it one day at a time. You be strong and hang in there, I know you can do it.:P