NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Body language most frequently seen

Dave007

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sasha wags its tail very often... couple times an hour. Does it very quickly for about 1/2 a second.

I find Sasha does it when he settles into a position (i.e first gets on a perch, or my shoulder, etC), or aftering fluffing feathers, and after a bath.

Sometimes I see sasha extend its left wing out fully, stands on 1 leg, and put its leg stretched out under its extended wing to its back.. does it for a couple seconds... not sure what it means, but I think Sasha is just stretching. doesn't do it too often, couple times a day.<br><br>Post edited by: harmar, at: 2009/11/23 23:45

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Saw some funny action from my dude the last few evenings. When on top of his travel cage visiting with us at a distance, he'll get really low (kind of looks like a lunge, but no one/thing is near him) and then start weaving his head back and forth banging his beak on the bars like a convict with his tin cup. Again, there's nothing nearby so it's not directed AT anyone/thing, and it's similar to, but not the same as beak-cleaning rubbing. Just wondered if any one has seen that.

Hi Dave thanks for your post . It was very helpful . I am new here and it is very helpful to read all this posts since i am on my own since a long time with my madam . Could i ask you a question it does concern behaviour . I bought my madam in a petshop in cairo . she was in a real miserable condition and i was not there to by a bird . I learned a lot from then but still she is not a tame bird . She still growls at everybody she sees or comes to close to her . She is healthy and seems content as long as nobody is interacting with her . After 2 years of no big chnage i got her a friend the captain . They very fast bonded and became a content couple . I was glad . 2 years later i had to move to Cairo so i moved house and got them a big aviary outside the house - on the terrasse . They seemed happy . Then - disaster - the captian escaped and i could not find him any more . I was devastated . The madam - well she did not seem to mind . She did not change in any way . Again i tried to get closer to her . Spend lots of time with her . she does not want to have anything to do with me . I dont know how old she was when i got her but she seemed like a grown up bird already. eyes where light already. I got DVD s from Chat Wolmat i think his name is right like this about clickertraining and joined several forums . All in vain . All i could achieve is that she now is on pellets and not on seeds anymore and she excepts almost all veggies and fruits - in the beginning she was on seeds only not wanting anything else . she calls me sometimes we have a flock wistle but when i come to the cage she does not do it again . ONly when i am out of sight. in my old house she and the captian were out in the living room with their stand most of the day . oNly in the evening they went to sleep by themselves in their cage . They had 2 cages in the beginning and then chose to live in one . I am sure i made a lot of mistakes with her , thinking that i am doing her something good - now i know i frightend her more then doing her a favor . Do you think that she would be better off with somebody else ? I do not want to give her up but on the other hand i do not want to keep her that lonely. Would it be wise to get her another one or would she not except another friend after the captian . Please , please advise me with whatever you can . I have the best intentions but seem to have no success . Thanks Dave hoping to hear from you or any other member so i can adjust my behaviour in her favor .

• 2 months later...

I have been studying birds body language for just a short time and find my Grey is very hard to read compared to my Zon, as a matter of fact I have to honestly say I haven't gotten Gabby's (CAG) body language down enough to avoid the bite. She can be as calm and cool as a cucumber and you can ask her if she wants a treat and she reaches over to take it , eats it and reaches over for what you may think is a second treat that you are handing her and she will chomp down and draw blood. In my opinion without warning but I just walk away and try to go over and over in my mind what the difference was between the two treats, so far, NOTHING, lol, but I am still working on it, thanks for the posting, Karen

Karcar, it might not be anything you have done. It may just be your bird pushing limits, seeing what it can get away with and what not. Or it might be fear motivated. My grey loathes my roommate with a passion, and used to do flyby's and smack him with her wings. Except when he has food, then she's not afraid or aggressive, but is as sweet as pie, and gently accepts food. Once the food is gone, she's back to glaring at him and fluffing her feathers, even when he is nowhere near her. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact the roommate is very tall, very noisy and has a booming voice. I try and get him to talk "nice" to her, and he just ends up shouting GOOD GIRL...PRETTY BIRD at her.

Keep at it with your bird just as you are doing, don't let on the bite hurts.

I have to say in regards poker faced bites, I thought Dayo was the King, perhaps not. :)

Most times I see the body language and stop before he even tries, but then there are those times, you would swear he was a stuffed bird or accepting the approach for a scratch or step-up, then BAM it's all over but the screaming . :P Just kidding, my only response is to say "No bite Daddy", turn around and go get a paper towel and keep pressure on it until the bleeding stops....

He does not sucker punch his cuddle muffin, namely my wife.

• 5 months later...

Quinton, I do not think you can make a generalization like, "never pick up a fluffed-up grey." I look more at my bird's eyes and how he sets his beak to determine his mood. My grey seems to get taller and tenser when he is in a bad mood. At night, he generally gets VERY fluffed up, and kind of settled looking, like gravity is weighing him down, and that is the very BEST time to handle him as he is EXTREMELY docile.

• 1 month later...

Hello! Very interesting discussion!

My grey gets fluffed up when I come home from work or if I was away for longer than an hour. I come up to his cage and he gets very very fluffed up and I can't figure out whether he is mad or it is just excitement, because he is not trying to bite, just sits close to the cage bars and lift/stretches his wings, shakes his head and tail and raises his feathers and listens to what I am telling him. He even puts his head down against the cage wall like if he wanted me to scratch his head, but he doesn't let me do it yet, because I just got him less than a month ago and he is a little afraid of hands still (was treated not very nice in his previous home) It happens for the first 3-4 minutes, after that he is back to normal again. So is he angry or what is it?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yes, usually a one-legged stand is a chill/resting pose. Especially if the other foot is tucked way up against the body. In my experience, if the bird isn't resting it's foot due to an injury, they usually hold it midway - neither putting it down nor tucking it all the way up.

i just adopted Tiki and when i open her cage she will hang upside down and start biting her claws. i know we havnt developed trust yet but was just wandering if that was normal?

thanks

joe

That's a sign that the bird is nervous and unsure of what's coming. Let the bird relax and don't chase it. That eases up as the bird gets to know you and feel more relaxed.

Rooney73... actually, there are several different interp. of a bird pulling up one leg. Sometimes, here at our home, is sleeping. Mostly, if Sophie pulls up her leg, she is threatened! When I come down in the morning, all birds have one foot pulled up. When they see it is " me ", I immediately say " foot down", all feet go into resting position. They know they are safe.These are the first words I say daily. Nancy