NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Body language most frequently seen

Dave007

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Any lunging, is just your bird challenging you! The answer is always, NO! Foot down! Make sure your birds height is below you. Establish the parent/child relationship. Always remember, YOU are the parent, they are the child. Never doubt your parenting! When you doubt yourself, is when they do, what they want to do! Nancy PS... if you would want me to help you, establishing parent/child relationship, I would be more than happy to help you, Nancy

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a puzzling one maybe someone has some input on. When Spencer is on the floor (room or cage) and I offer him a new toy or treat sometimes he does this silly move where he'll bend forward really low and then walk backward in a circle - usually with his beak just off the ground and I thing always clockwise. It is SO funny and I can't tell if it's irritation or intrigue. I never really push it to see if he'll lunge. He'll do anywhere from one to several complete circles like that. I need to try to get a video. Anyone????

hehe

Ummm, well lets see. What your bird is doing doesn't really come under the International Official Body Language Directory. It seems like your bird is displaying an unique behavior known as Quirky Bird Syndrome. Any bird that has it will show it's own particular gesture. Scientists have studied the situation for years and they've come to the conclusion that the only cure for this particular syndrome is consistent laughing by one or more house members.

Edited by Dave007

• 2 weeks later...

Do they `yawn?` ..i have notcied of an evening normally after he has had scratches Archie will open hes mouth really wide with hes neck stretched out,it looks like he is yawning and i take it as that and put him in hes cage for bed

Do they `yawn?` ..i have notcied of an evening normally after he has had scratches Archie will open hes mouth really wide with hes neck stretched out,it looks like he is yawning and i take it as that and put him in hes cage for bed

Yep...he's yawning. Isn't it the cutest thig ever? :)

Yea it is very cute , makes me smile everytime i see him do it

8pm is bed time every night , sometimes if they have been `good` they get untill 815pm lol,but just like human kids he will sit there yawning,put him to bed and he wakes up and gets all chatty :D

Guest XxExoticPsychExX

I've been having trouble establishing the parent/child relationship with Solomon. A lot of times it seems as though he'll lunge and try to bite me for no reason. I've been getting the feeling that he does it when I'm in close proximity only to get my attention. He will even do this sometimes when I remove my finger and stop scratching his head. However, I don't want to give him attention when he does that since I don't want to reinforce the behavior. At first I would try not to give a reaction, but over time he would bite harder and harder. I've started to try the firm, "No! Don't do that!," along with keeping my height above him. Unfortunately, that seems to be making things worse. I'm going to try giving him a firm, "No!," in addition to immediately putting him back in the cage. I'm concerned that he might associate his cage with bad things, emotions, etc.

Anyone have any other ideas? He mostly does this when on his cage or on my bed. Otherwise, he's fine when on my shoulder or anywhere else in the house. I'm ok with not allowing him on my bed, but either way I would like to alter this behavior if possible.

This behavior is fairly new. I'd say it started sometime around February.

Archie does exactly as you have said he also bites me when on my head/shoulder/hands every where,think i got a bit of a biter on my hands??! i also give a firm `no bitey` but i just get a look of yea whatever and then nails me again,i personally would not put him back in hes cage everytime he does it , as you said i think it would lead to ill feeling of hes home,i just ignore Archie for a couple of minutes then say `make up` and give him a scratch (which most of the time is returned with another bite) typing this i dont actually think i should be trying to give advice lol

Guest XxExoticPsychExX
. . . .typing this i dont actually think i should be trying to give advice lol

Lol! It's nice to know I'm not the only one though!

I was complaining to my boyfriend yesterday and said they must have done something to really get Solomon angry with the word "No."

Yesterday and today Solomon started going down to the bottom of his cage to keep me from changing the newspaper. He got all big, puffed up, his eyes were pining and he tried lunging for me. Oh geez, maybe that's his way of saying, "I'm not backing down to your commands." D:

I didn't think about it until now, but I should probably make this into a new thread in the training section instead of having this convo here. >.<

Time to enter " time out!" A cage away from their home cage. Many don't believe in timeout. I do. Its worked for us. Our

Amazon,I didn't try. She wouldn'nt understand. My grey, I did. She understood. We agreed as a family, to be consistent. It was alot of work, and we were all on the same page. If she bit, she ended up in timeout! Within six months, she goy it! Nancy

Guest XxExoticPsychExX

Nancy, I didn't even think about using a separate cage! I saw your post about it on another thread. In what room do you keep the time-out cage in? What kind of body language is most appropriate for me to use when he's in time-out? As in, do I ignore him, walk away, etc.?

Sophie was two, when we adopted her. Timeout cage started several months later, when she trusted us. Her timeout cage happened to be in the dining room. A cage filled with " nothing" fun! No toys, nothing to do! One minute, for every year. If she bit, she went into timeout. She learned within six months, NOT to bite. Timeout is boring! Kids were on the same page. We were consistent. She is 12 now. Loves the entire family. I LOVE to watch her interact with each family member. They all have a "purpose", in her mind. She hasn't been in " timeout", in over a decade! BUT.... if she is naughty.... I ask her, do we need to go in timeout? She squaks " NO"! ( believe me, it wasn't all that bad!) Nancy

Hi, We have a 10 year old Triton Cockatoo, [Rescued] Caged without toys for 8yrs, And Freddy [Rescued] Caged in a closet when he was noisy, for 18 years. Here's some photo's, we don't believe in "Time-out cages without toys or nothing fun.." if a person wishes to use a "Time out cage", use their own, it's safer.. Enjoy the photo's....Jayd, Maggie, Spock and the flock.

P.S. Look how well a no fun time-out cage worked...

016-1.jpg

023-2.jpg

024-1.jpg

This is after we had him for a few years, he's with our beloved Spock.

021.jpg

Edited by Jayd
spelling

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...