NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Blue Throat Macaw Babies!

murfchck

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I am late updating from Mondays visit. 2 new babies pulled after lots of time in the nest with mom and pop. Oh are they cute. Again, no pictures I get so lost when we start playing. These are my few hours of the week that I get to completely forget everything and just enjoy life. Greybee is still there and has a big personality and is also an excellent flyer. While I was in the nursery with the baby blue throats, she flew in and landed on my shoulder, babies did not like that and started their growling, but after a little time passed, they stopped and relaxed. RayRay (Sugar Ray) is still there also, I am happy to say he has a new home soon with a great woman who has a few handicapped birds already and is set up for him. He can perch now on lower branches and gets around very well without his toes. He even steps up, he has his own way of doing it but hey, it is a step up! The newest babies are not named yet, they were only in a day before I saw them but Screech 1 and 2 come to mind. Heehee

I have a few pictures this time. :-) I couldn't resist the new babies and how they fell asleep with each other.

20140818_160612_zpsbfn6q96d.jpg

The way tucked into each others necks, aww. Greybee was outside and I didn't get to see her but RayRay was in..

20140818_160618_zpso7w0ekso.jpg

I didn't get to play with them too much, it was sprout day. lol When most people say they are making sprouts, you expect a few jars. ( I have never sprouted because I just couldn't figure it out so I was pretty excited about learning ) She sprouts by the bucket full, we mixed up 2- 5 lb buckets with the mix. Cleaning and rinsing and dividing and the filling into smaller containers and wow. I hope I can remember how she did it and can breakdown what all was in it to make a much smaller version of it, lol. I get to go back off cycle to trim some toe nails and she has to get blood on some of the babies and that is something I really want to learn about!

It was so scary when I first pulled up, a scarlet macaw was flying right at me in my car and my heart sank, I thought one got out. Then a red front was not far behind flying toward me. Since free flight is not common to me, that wasn't my first thought but then I realized what was going on and got out of my car and just watched. After I picked my jaw up off the ground and was able to look away, we went right to work. 2 1/2 hours later I remembered the birds that were out and she just said she was surprised they were not at the door screaming to let them back in. It was just so magical to watch these powerful birds just being birds! I was like a kid in a candy store and asked just as many questions as a kid would do, why, how, what, when... I must have been a pest!

So today I got to help with the blood draws for DNA and also all the other stuff. 4 new babies, only one blue throat, the rest are red fronts, oh so pretty.

KimKim, Ozzy took it like a champ and still let me hold him afterwards. Took some doing but he came around. He is an awesome bird and if I had my choice, well RayRay because of who he is but then Ozzy, without doubt! Riley is also a sweetie pie. Did not want the blood tests at all and is way stronger that he looks, lol Didn't want anything to do with me after that! Wait for it....Wait for it.... Here are your pictures!

Ozzy waiting for his evening meal..

20140825_161208_zpsv879luwr.jpg

Ozzy getting his yummies...

20140825_161228_zps2pr4gwwm.jpg

20140825_161234_zps4x1g6fd3.jpg

Riley waiting for his turn on the faucet. ( that is where they are trained to go for their meals, lol. Makes clean up a breeze!

20140825_161217_zps92gxwahv.jpg

It is so much fun seeing them in an egg to their eyes still closed to fully flighted poop machines! After I left Monday, I went to the grocery store, the feed store etc. Got home and hubby pointed out that I had bird poop all over the front of my shirt, even little foot prints of poop! Goes with the territory is all I can say! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, the new babies are so cute and sweet! Only one blue throat, the rest are red fronts but the last two blue throats that are not fully weaned were flying around and actually let me hold them. We practiced the step up and did pretty darn good with it. The hard part was not getting over excited and shouting "good job" and scaring the poop out of them, which we both did the first time. lol No pictures this time, I couldn't really pick the babies up. I tried but the nails went right into my thumb injury and opened it back up so.. :-(

I didn't know just how sweet those red fronts were, they are smaller than I thought they would be.