NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Blue Throat Macaw Babies!

murfchck

I am lucky to know a very respected breeder of Blue Throat Macaws and she asked me to come to her home and help socialize her 11 week old babies. How could i say no? Gee play with baby birds all morning, what a hardship, lol. They are the cutest things, but i was told by the hubs that under no uncertain terms am i to bring one home. He keeps trying to tell me we are at full capacity here, thats why we are looking to move. We'll see, hahaha!

20140519_122002_zpsrxymcncr.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just pray that our greys don't learn those screams. Bad enough having the 4 of them, I couldn't imagine 7. Lol the macaw screams are few and far between though and just a few and their done. Can not say that about the toos.

• 1 month later...
I am lucky to know a very respected breeder of Blue Throat Macaws and she asked me to come to her home and help socialize her 11 week old babies. How could i say no? Gee play with baby birds all morning, what a hardship, lol. They are the cutest things, but i was told by the hubs that under no uncertain terms am i to bring one home. He keeps trying to tell me we are at full capacity here, thats why we are looking to move. We'll see, hahaha!

Ohhh my....so easy to fall in love. Precious and so beautiful.

Winkum, Blinkum and Nod. They just look so innocent and precious. I know myself well enough to know I could not stop at a play date. So happy for you to have this experience. There is something about holding the promise of the future in those babies that helps me be patient with Miss Gilbert and think of her black eyes and baby curiosity, no fear, just innocence. I can never get enough of the baby pictures.

Now this was a hard day, :-( . The babies I had played with last visit were out and about flying around, the didn't need or want me but she had a new group and oh what cuties they were, here comes the hard part, out from under a wing came a little bitty grey who was just getting in those pretty red tail feathers. She and I hit it off right away. I couldn't even pet the other babies without her running under my hand to be loved. I am telling you it was love at first sight! Then I asked her name, she had none. She was sold before she even hatched and she didn't want to start calling her by a name for it to be changed on her. My heart broke and I felt the need to get some distance before I crossed over the line and slipped her in my purse when I left, lol, just kidding there she is going to a great home. The blue throats were skittish, a bit younger than i was use to and they kept rolling on their backs. They had different parents than the others and totally different personalities. These parents were not so good, they bit the toes off of one and part of the wings and just a few toes on the second, the third one was pulled before they got to it and he is just fine. They had another egg and they put that in with a retired pair who were great parents and they are taking care of it. It is just so much fun going there and just playing. It is weird though, not one of the 6 babies has sold yet. There is a new law that they can only be sold in the state they were born in because they are on the endangered list so that makes it hard. Ah well, they have a great home so no worries! I do have new pictures but they have not downloaded yet, as soon as they do, i will post them!

I gotta tell you that I keep clicking on this thread just to see that one picture at the top of these three guys....man they are so beeeeeeeeeeeautiful!! Just incredible beauty! I want more pictures to put at my desk at work. Great stress relief.

They are getting so big now, in just one weeks time. The first three (first picture I posted) are all just as cute as can be and flying around. They get to spend most of their time in an huge outside aviary but one of the guys, Ozzy, was inside yesterday when I was there and he helped me with the other three, showing them how to play with toys and run around. It was so much fun. She now has an additional 2 eggs in incubators, 2 in a nest and 1 one more egg in another nest. I do not know how she keeps up. She also has many red breast, but she has a waiting list for those to be adopted. I just know I would be nuts, that makes 11 blue throat babies, yikes!

No sorry, they were way to active this time, lol. I brought them out to play by twos until I had them all out running amuck at the same time. Ozzy, from the very first photo, was out with them and he is a flying machine. For still being so young, he is an expert already. Haha, okay not an expert but darn close. Sugar Ray (no toes) is doing so good, he stands good and runs just like the rest of them, kinda shy. Huckleberry ( few missing toes ) is pretty active now, playful and cute. Whitey ( he had a white colored beak when he hatched ) is into everything and really testing his wings out, he grabbed the blanket that was over the chair and pulled and flapped until he got air and made it up on the chair! I don't see anything stopping him. The grey baby ( no name since he is already sold. I told her I will just call her "Mine" haha ) is in the baby squeaking phase and just wanted to sleep and if I tried to hold or play with her she would growl at me. I have now heard the hiss sound that those who have a baby grey described. They are all just so wonderful I could take them all home...but won't!