WEIGHT & EXERCISE SUPPORT GROUP

Talon

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CURVES!! Yes - I just started that - I think its a great place for women to work out and not feel intimidated by the masses of super-fit's walking in and out as you puff and sweat all over the apparatus! I have already asked if i can bring my Toby in to sit on the back rest and nip me if I slump in exhaustion - the idea seemed to take off and I hope to open my new, parrot frendly gym for 'Birds!' Get it? hahahah! Complete with shower perch and snack station.

Let me know if you will join Toby and I in our new venture and change the face of gyming as we know it!

Yeeehaa!

I use an iPod when I walk alone, but I only use one earphone so that I can hear the traffic. I started advanced Pilates last night. Boy it is hard. Really hard. But I am determined to win the 250. I know the others are doing workouts on the sly though. My treadmill has been dusted off too. I talk to Liath when I am using it. She sits on the end of my bed and chats back!

WOW! I love the motivation everyone here has! You are all doing exactly what I had hoped, in sharing ideas, and helping keep us all on track. Every little bit helps!!

So lets keep at it, and continue changing our lifestyle to a new healthy and happier you, one post, and one word of encouragement at a time.:cheer: :cheer:

I love the idea about a parrot friendly gym!! :laugh:

{Communicate-0002011B}

I got weighed today and have not lost what I thought I had but I did lose 3 pounds in a month, but I lost over 4 inches off my body. I will just have to go at it a little harder, more exercise and less food, I want to get this stuff off so bad I can taste it, which by the way was how I got it on in the first place.:laugh:

You are doing great Judy!!! Remember muscle weighs more than fat!!!

Keep this in mind... In order to lose one pound of fat you need to have a deficit of 3,500 calories.

Say your resting metabolic rate is 1,000 calories per day (which is the number of calories your body uses to function if you were laying in bed all day). Say you burn another 1,000 calories throughout the day doing normal things like exercise, cooking, cleaning, walking around, etc. That would make your total caloric expenditure 2,000 calories.

If this was the case you would have to eat 1,500 calories per day in order to lose one pound per week. You would have a deficit of 500 calories per day times 7 which would give you 3,500 for the week or 1 pound.

1 pound per week is about the max you want to do for sustained weight loss. Anything more than that and you will be depriving yourself which will cause your body to go into starvation mode. Starvation mode is not good as your body will try to conserve every extra calorie it has... which means you don't lose weight!

So basically all weight loss is, is a simple mathematic equation. Burn more calories that you eat!!

Yah, that is always my problem with dieting... I want it to all come off at once, and I know the science behind it!!!!

If you think about it, 3 lbs is a lot of fat to lose!!

Plus you feel great, and that is what is really important!! I would measure your results by how your clothes are fitting not by the lbs lost!!

Unfortunately I am not dieting either. I am eating rings round me. I am exercising though. I started on my walk this morning and I met a lady that I havent walked with before and she asked me to join her. Idiot here said yes.... we walked 6.5 miles!!! I am absolutely dead! Next time I see her on the road, I think I might turn around!

Mind you it flew in because we had so much to talk about and it IS nice to have company on these cold mornings.

Siobhan

PS my bum is STILL sore from the advanced Pilates on Wednesday :unsure:

Ok haven't checked in for awhile. I kinda got complacent living with the gf (she's on a diet) and actually lost about 15 lbs over the last month. I showed her how I normally eat and scared the hell out of her. So back to the numbers game. I have already (today) taken in more calories than most of you will in three or four. If I listed all of what I eat you would probably get sick. Sorry not trying to rub it in just stating the facts. As of right now I'm 5'9" and 140 lbs. I would really like to get back to my old fight weight of 185lbs. Started training again today also. Man am I out of shape. Also my flexibility has gone out the window. I used to do the straddle splits between two chairs.(usually with a girl on each thighB) ) Tried just doing the splits and stopped more than a foot from the floor. Gotta work on that too. :angry:

Isnt it awful how hard it is to get in shape, and how quickly you get out of it? You probably spent years getting so fit, working hard, watching what you eat and training all the time. And then by sitting on the couch you undid everything.

It drives me nuts! Mind you I would LOVE to have to gain weight. That sounds like a great problem to have when you are in my shoes!

Siobhan

ok so I've been sooo bad I have forgot to check in here!! I've ben so busy with shopping and prepping for my vacation and holidays etc etc I've forgot! i've lost a pound this week, my goal is to not gain anything while I'm in Hawaii!!! I'll check in with ya'll in a couple weeks!

Well I am still plugging away at my new behavior modification lifestyle and it is not easy sometimes but I have a goal in mind and I will not waver until I reach that goal, I am a determined woman on a mission and I will have my just "desserts" (only a few know just what I am talking about):P :P B) :P :P

That a girl Judy! You are doing great, and I want you to keep it up. Big Sister is watching you......:evil:

I have resorted to using a treadmill for the winter. It's been cold and windy in the mornings here, so I have been using that. I must say that I feel like a hamster on a wheel about half way through my run, but I keep the wheel turning anyways! :laugh: :P

I have been doing well too!! I have been going to the pool every day and swimming laps for an hour. I also cut out all alcohol (I haven't had a drink in 3 weeks) and started adding lots more fruits and veggies to my diet.

I just booked my ticket to go to the mainland for Christmas so I am getting my butt in gear before then! I am not even going near the scale... pounds don't really mean anything to me! What is important is how I feel and how my clothes are fitting!!! And the swimming is wonderful because it is helping with my tan or lack there of... I figure I can't show my face on the mainland without being a little tan. No one will believe I live in Hawaii...LOL!!

Well I got on the scales at work today, digital registered/calibrated. Put back on 5lbs. I would cheer but its probably just water weight.

Siobhan I spent most of my life training to be competitive. Then I had a tragic accident and started feeling sorry for myself. Haven't set foot in the gym or the ring since. I do have quite a bit of equipment collecting dust hear at the house and am gearing up for a new program. As far as wishing you had to work to gain weight, I feel the same way as you do only in reverse. I wish I had to work to lose weight. Kinda a grass is always greener sort of thing.:laugh:

Are you a boxer? It was my sons birthday yesterday, and I took a group of his friends to an amateur boxing tournament last night. They loved it. I cant say that I did though. Our local club are obviously very good because the other crowd (from Dublin) kept losing. It was quite sad really! Some of them were only kids :(

Having a good week despite the weather. Liath is still keeping me company on the treadmill B)

No not a boxer. I used to compete in full contact martial arts. Made it to world team, and got to fight inter-nationally. But alas that was a long time ago. To bad about the other guys losing so much. I like to see a good mix of it. It can really hurt the kids to lose. I am still jealous cause I love to watch boxing matches and would have loved to have been in the isle.

I have been to Shannon twice. Once with the military (pit stop after deployment), and once to visit my uncle pat who still lives there.