WEIGHT & EXERCISE SUPPORT GROUP

Talon

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, WEDNESDAY IT IS! We should all check in on Wednesday if we are able to. Just give us an update as to your progress.

Mid week is a good idea, that will help us when we get to that dreaded weekend!

WEDNESDAY IS CHECK IN DAY EVERYONE! B)

Judy, Just check in with any progress you have made. Such as you went to Curves 4 times instead of #. Or you increased the distance in your walk, or ran faster or further if that's what you desire.

Of course PROGRESS is great, but we all have setbacks, and if that happens, check in anyways, and hopefully we will help you past that and onto some improvement.

REMEMBER..."SMALL SUCCESSES BREEDS MORE SUCCESSES!"

Thanks CD for the quote! ;)

Hell I ain't tellin my weight either Judy! LOL No I just say we check in, so I'll go first...today I had a chocolate milk for breakfast as it fills me up and works as breakfast, and then I had Quiznos for lunch, so I'm doing good so far! How's everyone else doing on day one of our group??:woohoo:

I just had another session at Curves and I feel great, I am amazed at how it is helping me and I try to walk at least 2+ miles a day on the days I don't go to Curves. I haven't weighed myself, I don't like doing that, but the next time I get weighed at Curves I will tell you how many pounds I have lost since I last weighed.

I'm having baked chicken, mexican rice and carrots for dinner, yummy, and no dessert, bummer, but thats the way it has to be.

Ya know I used to do that too Judy with the no dessert, and maybe I'm just a creature of rewards, but if I was good I would give myself a treat like peanut butter and apples, or graham crackers or something like that.

Sounds like you're doing awesome, I need to pick back up at the gym but I don't have the money, and with xmas around the corner, sigh, looks like it will be my new years resolution! LOL

About eating. Get use to eating 5 or 6 small meals a day. NOT 2 or 3 large ones. Here's what I do.

1 Breakfast is egg whites on whole wheat toast.

2 At 10am I have half a protein Bar.

3 Lunch is a Subway 6 inch hero. Turkey on whole wheat. No dressing

4 Afternoon snack is the other half of that protein bar.

5 Dinner is usually what ever the wife made. Only in a "normal" portion size. No seconds. NO white bread of any kind. Eat whole wheat bread

6 Snack before bed usually is a low fat yogurt, a piece of fruit, or a small bowl of cereal. Special K or Mini Wheats.

YOU DON'T NEED TO STARVE YOURSELF to eat right. The trick is to actually NEVER starve yourself so you keep your metabolism rate up. Eating small meals does this for you.

Also you MUST exercise. Walking, running and weight lifting as necessary if you are ever gonna reach your weight goal. You must remember, it took lots of years for you to get out of shape. It can take years to reverse this terrible process. If you never start I can tell you that you will NEVER get back to where you belong. That's not an option right. So make up your mind that you WILL be changing your lifestyle. That is one of the hardest parts of reclaiming your life back. In the end, when you do finally "reclaim" your life back you will say it was all worth it. Not only that but the feeling you get from beating any and all weight problems is terrific. Ask me how I know this :) .

We all know just how hard it is to stick to a weight loss program. Its hard because of poor attitudes on our part. We say " oh it's just a small ice cream, I'll make up for it tomorrow " NO YOU WON'T. Tomorrow you will be weaker. Instead of eating that ice cream eat the low fat yogurt. If you must snack, snack on Mini Wheats or unbuttered pop corn. Always remember "It's in the math" Your output should out pace your intake. 3000 calories in and 2900 calories out mean you are getting fatter. It's just that simple. The more calories you put in the harder you need to work out to get them off. That's why the attitude of " I'll make up for it tomorrow " NEVER WORKS.<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/10/22 06:11

Fairy,

Thats a great question. We have been hearing a lot about this recently. Basically, in a "nut"shell, the difference is this:

White bread is goes through a refining process where the husks of the wheat is "peeled/grinded" off, leaving only the inside of the grain. This is the reason white bread is white.

In whole grained breads, this husk is left on. What is the nutritional benefit? Well, in general we have been eating more refined foods, meaning less fiber. Our bodies will eventually break down the outside husks in some grains, but in others not at all. This is what we refer to as "fiber" aka foods that we eat that our bodies don't directly break down. What this allows is prolonging the "spike" in blood sugar, known as the glycemic index. So, as our bodies break down that husk, blood level sugars are not spiked but go up and down over a longer period of time.

Here is an example:

Try eating a bowl of rice krispy ceral for breakfast one day, and a bowl of quaker oat meal another, which day do you think you will feel fuller longer?

I hope I wasn't too scientific in my explanation, but if you need further explaining, or have any additional nutrition questions, please let me know! Also, some things you read about nutrition are opinions, because of the way we were raised, I try to steer clear of opinions, unless I explicitly say they are mine, as my background is a BS in Nutrition. Thanks for reading!

Also, in general CD has some pretty good advice. One thing however I would change, are the words always/never when on a weight loss regimen. If you tell yourself I'll never eat ice cream again, you're going to want it that much more, and eventually you will, and there is a strong likelihood you will binge, or eat a lot of it at once, as opposed to eating it in moderation over time. We are creatures of habit, and this can be difficult to portion out servings, but if you can do this you will be happy during your diet, and ultimately have better results.

Honestly it is better not to go on fad diets, but to choose a healthy overall diet and stick with it. This is called a lifestyle modification change. As we want instant results, this can be difficult, but overall - over time, it's the way to go.

It is really just that. It does require a new mind set. Less junk in your body and more of the things that your body really needs and wants. When you think if it this way it's much easier to have the will power that is necessary to sustain this "new" lifestyle.

It's works. I can say I experienced this "new" lifestyle. I know you can too. It only takes STARTING. You did that Judy.. The rest is easy. ;)

Thank you very much MakenasDad. It now is perfectly clear to me. One small question though, and that is, is the digestion process which I gather is of different speed in every individual, to be taken into consideration with this?

I agree on 'lifestyle modification' - it is all a mindset thing.

CD I completely agree! I just snack most of the day and actually I eat my biggest meal at lunch time, that way I have plenty of time to burn it off before I go to bed. I know a lot of people eat later, and then it just goes and gets shunted straight into fat because they go to sleep and it can't metabolize!

I was pretty good this weekend, despite the krispy kreme donut eh hem LOL

Today is a super nice day, nice and sunny, mid 60's so I'm going to go on a walk today and take Midori with me and get some fresh air if it isn't too chilly come 5 o'clock!

Sounds like everyone is doing great!!!