NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

WEIGHT & EXERCISE SUPPORT GROUP

Talon

Hello Everyone! I've noticed many members are very interested in staying fit through exercising, running, walking, weightlifting, etc. And many members are concerned with eating healthy and/or losing weight.

I thought it would be fun and helpful to have a support group right here to cheer each other on through those difficult times when you feel like giving up (and we all have those days).

We all want to live longer and stay healthy. So it's time to get ourselves exercising and eating healthy. We are always so concerned with keeping our birds healthy eaters and making sure they get their exercise. It's time to spend a little of that energy on ourselves!

So whether you are trying to lose 5 lbs, 25, 50lbs, or more. Now is a great time to start. You don't have to post your weight, just set a goal in mind and keep us updated with weekly progress.

If you are wanting to start an exercise program, this is the place for other members to support you. So if you are just starting out, or are trying to increase your endurance or strength, let us know how you are doing.

And remember, WE ALL HAVE SETBACKS, and that is what this thread is for. We are here for you to cheer you on, and help you through those difficult days when you overate, or was too tired to workout. :S

*PLEASE REMEMBER TO CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING ANY EXERCISE PROGRAM.*<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2007/10/04 16:04

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fabulous IDEA!!!

I want to loose 15 lbs. by the end of January which would be about 1 lb/week. The reason is because I want to look great in my dress for my wedding!!! I am going to run or swim at least five times a week. And cut back on my food intake... especially sweets and beer:whistle:.

Andrew and I both have a bachelors degree in Nutrition so if anyone has and technical questions, I am sure one of us can answer them.

And I have the ability to calculate the nutrition facts in a recipe. If anyone has any yummy recipes that they would like to find that info on, just post them on here and I will get to work!

Good Luck Everyone!!!

I want to lose about 30 more pounds. I have already lost 45. I also want to go to the gym more, I go about 3-4 times a week now, I think I need to go about 5-6 times a week.

Great idea, we can all use the support.

Debbie

This is a great idea! I am far too disorganized to stay on any set program, plus my schedule allows practically zero time for exercise. But I will definitely be popping in here to see what kind of tips are coming in...

I can use all the help I can get!

Talon.. I love this idea. All too often we let ourselves slip.. A few pounds here a few pounds there.. Next thing you know, you're out of breath just walking up a flight of stairs.. Ask me how I know that.. Yes of course.. I was 40 pounds overweight not too many years ago... Felt horrible.. Couldn't do the things I wanted to.. ;)

One day I looked in the mirror and saw something for the first time.. I saw a FAT out of shape shell of what I once was.. I WOKE UP.. Decided that I wasn't gonna allow this to continue.. I did something about it..

Running was out of the question.. I couldn't run a block at first.. So, I ran as far as I could... then walked to catch my breath.. This continued... and continued...and continued... for months.. UNTIL.. that one day when I actually make it 1 mile without stopping.. Boy was I happy about that.. Then it was 1.2 miles... 1.5 miles.. and so on.. Today I can run 5 miles or more.. I run 2.5 miles every day and work out on my BowFlex daily...

Ask me how I feel now.. I'm 10 pounds away from what I weighed when I was 30... I'll lose those ten pounds in no time now.. I don't get tired.. I take no medications... and pretty much feel 1,000 times better..

So for those that want to achieve something simular or more.. YOU CAN.. one thing I'll tell you from the start... ITS HARD.. but you know how the saying goes.. "Nothing easy is worth anything"...

Always remember this in your quest.... "Small Successes breed more successes"

CD

Great story, CD! I often THINK about doing something like that ... just starting out slow and building up daily. When I was very young, I used to be able to do the Russian dance where you crouch down really low, then pop up with arms & legs spread, then right back down for another one. I don't think I could even do that ONCE now! Your story has inspired me. Maybe I'll try ... one today, two tomorrow...

As far as recipes, Makena, I'm clueless! I was hoping to get a rundown of "do's" and "don'ts" as far as what to eat. I mean aside from the obvious...milk shakes & fries aren't going to help you get skinny!

Find me a diet that wont cost me a dime more then what I spend on food now and that my husband well eat and he wont lose weight and Im there.

Find me exercises I can do indoor in a 2 foot by 2 foot space that wont make my house shake around and Im there.

lol Sorry but those are my limits. I think if I could just get off the quartazone and eat half as much Id get my weight back down where is was before the medication. /sigh

I do wish you all luck.

I just joined Curves for Women and I love it, the support you receive is great and I feel I get a good workout designed for a woman's body. I feel so self conscious going to a regular gym but here it is only other women who understand my plight.

We rotate around in a circle with equipment and stepping stations so you are constantly moving and they tell you every so often to move to the next station. The various pieces of equipment work a different part of the body for a total workout. I come away feeling a little tired but not exhausted. I know I am going to feel better and look better so that in turn ups my self confidence.

I am taking it in small steps for small successes to achieve a larger ultimate goal of pounds lost and energy gained for a healthier me. I have cut back on lots of my favorite foods, not entirely but in the quanity and making healthier choices.

I have 2 of the best cheerleaders keeping me going on course and they support me 100% in what I am attempting to accomplish, I don't think I could do it without them, thanks Frank and Penny.:cheer:

Arrrr... Thank you Judy.. I am happy to help keep you motivated. You have already achieved the hardest part of any workout routine.. Know what that is? STARTING IT.. You have done that... Now it's all easy from here.. :)

There is NO QUIT.. You started and this will be a life long venture for you. One that you will look back on as a life changing event.. Something you and only YOU can be proud of as the ultimate achievement. It's not easy to start what you have started.. You stay the course. Remember.. Small Successes Breed More Successes..

CD

Judy, thank you, but it is me that is happy for you. You had the guts to step up and start walking down this healthy road for YOURSELF! I am so proud you took that first step, which is the hardest. It will be a little easier each time.

But remember, you will have set backs, and you will have days that you don't want to stay on the path to a healthier way of life, but make up your mind at that moment, that you are in charge of your body, and don't let it override that goal that you have set for yourself.....and if that doesn't work, call me, I'll convince you otherwise!!:evil: :evil:

What a neat idea! I actually started weight watchers 2 years ago...sadly and have only lost about 30 lbs...I quit eating fast food, well except taco bell, but I haven't eaten at a Mcdonalds, BK, or anything drive through in almost 3 years! I lost the first 30 in about 4 months, and haven't lost any since, how pathetic! It really worked, it's just a matter of sticking to it...so maybe I will use today as my starting over day and really getting back on track! My target weight is super far away, so it's best I do it 20 lbs at a time!

Should we maybe have a day of the week where we check in and see how everyone is doing...maybe say what good we did this week(jogged a mile for the first time etc) and the things we wanna confess(eating that extra cookie after dinner) I find that talking about it and getting tips from others really helped me, but I've long since quit going to the weight watchers meeting as I couldn't afford it! I dunno just a thought!

Sounds like a good idea, Lovie, to check in and see the progress of those who are trying to lose those pounds and get in shape. I have tried Weight Watchers also but I have decided I need the exercise as much as anything else so I am walking and I have joined Curves.

Don't worry Frank, I will stay the course, I promise and you know I always keep my promises and Penny I will call you if that bowl of ice cream comes knocking on my door, I am going to be a good girl at least as far as this subject goes, but anything else, you better watch out................:whistle: :P

Loviechick. that's what I was hoping for. A weekly check in as to our ups and downs!

I did have that extra cookie tonight, and an extra slice of pizza for dinner.....:ohmy:

I'll have to run extra hard tomorrow because of it. :S

I have 10 pounds to shed. It's the toughest 10 pounds I ever faced.. It requires yet another "adjustment" in my daily routine.

I love the idea of a day of the week where we all check progress. As of today Monday Oct 15th I weigh 197 pounds. 7 pounds off my target weight of what I weighed when I was 30 years old. :)