NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cages made in USA?

1ststatestereo

Just to add to the whole sending a bad message about not catering to higher end market... When I open my Bird and Fish Pet store, I plan on making it more possible to everyone to buy stainless steel cages that are US made. Hey I think I will advertise "Buy or reserve your baby plus stainless steel cage together and get either 15% off cage or a first time bird owner starter kit and includes a 1 lb bag of food, 1 toys and owners guide to good parrot keeping", or 8% off cage and something else that I don't know what else would appeals to parrot owners.

Now, What would appeal to parrot owner in forking over a large sum of money for a stainless steel cage?

It would appeal to a parrot owner to sell the item for 1/2 price. I'm sure you'll get the customers returning.

• 2 years later...

I now own 3 Animal Environment cages. I've never had a problem with the macaw cage. The cage for my Hawkhead and the one for my Goffin are the same size and both have different problems. The door latch for the Hawkhead used to open easily but after time quite a bit more pressure is required to open it. The plastic tray on the Goffin's cage won't stay in the track so when I pull it out to clean, one side or both will fall, spilling the contents.

It wasn't until I wanted a cage for my African Grey that I sent an email requesting information and mentioning the above two problems. Carmen responded saying if oil isn't put in the latch, it could become difficult to open or that it's possible the latch is broken. She stated if I wanted another latch, it would cost $25.99. I took her suggestion and oiled the latch and it seems to be working.

Her response to the tray falling on the other cage, Carmen said when moving the cage the stainless steel on the sides of the base can "spend a little" and suggested using a fat book and a hammer to fix it. Or, she said the tray could be broken. Or, I could purchase a stainless steel tray for $190.00. I examined the tray and it isn't broken and I checked the base and I can't see a problem.

I still don't quite understand how simply moving a cage can bend steel when it's suppose to be strong enough to house a macaw. And I can only wonder what kind of damage would occur in moving the cage if it had a much heavier stainless steel tray in it. On their website, it states there's a "full" lifetime warranty on stainless steel cages, but Carmen never mentioned them being covered under the warranty. I was planning on buying another cage from them but I don't think I'm going to now.

• 10 months later...
Their prices appear to be lower than Kings, Freedom, and a few other stainless steel cage makers. Unfortunately I've already put a deposit on a bird so time is ticking on when he'll be ready to come home. I am seriously considering this cage. It's got the external style feeders I like just like our California cage.

I see this is an old thread, but I hope someone may be able to add to the conversation. Freedom Cage looks like the best one to me. I have been in email contact with the owner and asked for the email of past customers. One of the emails was extremely detailed and praised the cage highly. With respect to customer service, since the owner is basically a one man show, service might not be on par with other companies. He's very willing to customize to my specs.