NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cages made in USA?

1ststatestereo

• 1 month later...
It looks like I should just go with King's. All USA made cages seem to be much more expensive than their foreign made counterparts. If it's one thing I know, it's buy what you really want.

King's cages are made in China and don't have a lifetime warranty, or a year warranty the last time I checked. I own two Animal Environments cages and both are high quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else dealt with Animal Environments? I emailed to ask about their powder coated cages. Someone by the name Carmen Daily wrote back telling me they don't make powder coated anymore. I like the look of the cages they make and that they're US made but I've been emailing a back and forth and Carmen is really putting on the hard sell and his (her?) english is really rough so it's hard to understand the writing sometimes. Any other experiences with them?

Has anyone else dealt with Animal Environments? I emailed to ask about their powder coated cages. Someone by the name Carmen Daily wrote back telling me they don't make powder coated anymore. I like the look of the cages they make and that they're US made but I've been emailing a back and forth and Carmen is really putting on the hard sell and his (her?) english is really rough so it's hard to understand the writing sometimes. Any other experiences with them?

Carmen Daily is a women and she is from Spain. Yes they don't make powder coated cages and there is a little language barrier but that's easy to over come. I overall have had a good experience with buying cages from Animal Environment. I have recently purchased two cages from her. The first one I bought last year was a custom Cockatoo Cage for Ruby but since we got Malachite we notice that Ruby only uses the top half of the cage. So I ordered another cage but the Amazon size instead because it's about the right size for Ruby, and Malachite is using the Cockatoo cage because he is very active in his cage and uses the whole cage. It does cost extra to order custom cages but all cages come with a lifetime warranty from defects and overall quality. I had my first cage shipped to me and it arrived all together and no damages. It is a semi-welded and sturdy as hell. lol. The Amazon I requested to be collapsible because I drove to pick it up which gave me an excuse to take some vacation time from work and spent some time in San Diego. At the time I had the pleasure of meeting Carmen when I picked up my cage. I saved my pennies to buys these for my fids.

Here are some picture of the cages.

this is the Cockatoo cage for Malachite

P1140405.jpg

This is the Amazon Cage for Ruby

P1140404.jpg

My cages are HQ and used to be made in the US. Unfortunately, they are now made in China. I believe Cages By Design are US made - but they may not be your cup of tea: http://www.cagesbydesign.com/t-majesticbird.aspx. Also, there is Corners Unlimited. The website doesn't show much, but I've seen a few examples of cages in homes and they are pretty amazing: http://www.cornerslimited.com/

Carmen Daily is a women and she is from Spain. Yes they don't make powder coated cages and there is a little language barrier but that's easy to over come. I overall have had a good experience with buying cages from Animal Environment. I have recently purchased two cages from her. The first one I bought last year was a custom Cockatoo Cage for Ruby but since we got Malachite we notice that Ruby only uses the top half of the cage. So I ordered another cage but the Amazon size instead because it's about the right size for Ruby, and Malachite is using the Cockatoo cage because he is very active in his cage and uses the whole cage. It does cost extra to order custom cages but all cages come with a lifetime warranty from defects and overall quality. I had my first cage shipped to me and it arrived all together and no damages. It is a semi-welded and sturdy as hell. lol. The Amazon I requested to be collapsible because I drove to pick it up which gave me an excuse to take some vacation time from work and spent some time in San Diego. At the time I had the pleasure of meeting Carmen when I picked up my cage. I saved my pennies to buys these for my fids.

Here are some picture of the cages.

Thanks for posting the pics those cages look great. Something about it almost seems suspicious. I've gotten scammed once by a small boutique company. My girlfriend insisted on buying those JWR exotic air filters and humidifer. What a joke that guy was. So I guess I bring baggage to the situation.

The price is under other stainless cages. They still have the powder coated cages on the site but don't make them anymore. So it almost feels like a bait and switch, because carmen really just keeps emailing you once you respond and it's hard to find them mentioned any other place. I think that has something to do with the common terms in the name.

I understand FirstPenguin. I too got scammed by Jeff from JWR when I purchased their humidifier. 258.00 dollars for the same humidifier you can get from Amazon for 79.00 dollars. Well, I learned my lesson.

It's one of those things where some companies don't update their websites for one reason or another and wish they did update their site but Animal Environments is no scam. The company and manufacturing facility is in Carlsbad, San Diego County, California. The prices on the site are still the set prices but I did order customs to both my cages so their are add-on cost and I'm a CA resident so there were sales-tax and shipping on the first cage was also another add-on cost. So if you are not CA resident and buy a standard plus shipping, I believe you will get a better deal. I believe with any company you have to be firm with what you want. Yes their prices are lower than other American Made cages. Hey it's your choice; I personally suggest buying an American Made Stainless Steel Cage whichever your choice of company. I did found recently that Freedom Cages are being made/manufacture in china since switching owners. Also, take your time and save your pennies in make a big decision like this one.

I understand FirstPenguin. I too got scammed by Jeff from JWR when I purchased their humidifier. 258.00 dollars for the same humidifier you can get from Amazon for 79.00 dollars. Well, I learned my lesson.

It's one of those things where some companies don't update their websites for one reason or another and wish they did update their site but Animal Environments is no scam. The company and manufacturing facility is in Carlsbad, San Diego County, California. The prices on the site are still the set prices but I did order customs to both my cages so their are add-on cost and I'm a CA resident so there were sales-tax and shipping on the first cage was also another add-on cost. So if you are not CA resident and buy a standard plus shipping, I believe you will get a better deal. I believe with any company you have to be firm with what you want. Yes their prices are lower than other American Made cages. Hey it's your choice; I personally suggest buying an American Made Stainless Steel Cage whichever your choice of company. I did found recently that Freedom Cages are being made/manufacture in china since switching owners. Also, take your time and save your pennies in make a big decision like this one.

Their prices appear to be lower than Kings, Freedom, and a few other stainless steel cage makers. Unfortunately I've already put a deposit on a bird so time is ticking on when he'll be ready to come home. I am seriously considering this cage. It's got the external style feeders I like just like our California cage.

Their prices appear to be lower than Kings, Freedom, and a few other stainless steel cage makers. Unfortunately I've already put a deposit on a bird so time is ticking on when he'll be ready to come home. I am seriously considering this cage. It's got the external style feeders I like just like our California cage.

just realized I was reading the dimensions on their site wrong. I was comparing very different sized cages in regards to price. What I want is out of my price range. My girlfriend is insisting we get a 40" wide cage.

Also its worth mentioning I finally settled on just getting one of the Kings Cages for the time being. I call them up to ask how long they will take to deliver to my area and while I'm at it ask do you have this in stock. Turns out the heavier duty cages, the 306 406 and even the 506 are all out of stock. Anything with a 6mm bar size is held up till september. It's really frustrating how you either spend less than 1k or north of 2k with nothing in the middle. I'll eventually go stainless not because I feel I need stainless but because I don't trust these factories in china to not have something chemically nasty in or underneath that powder coating. I'll settle for something like that for now. I figure it won't go sour before I decide to make that change and be able to afford it.

Also its worth mentioning I finally settled on just getting one of the Kings Cages for the time being. I call them up to ask how long they will take to deliver to my area and while I'm at it ask do you have this in stock. Turns out the heavier duty cages, the 306 406 and even the 506 are all out of stock. Anything with a 6mm bar size is held up till september. It's really frustrating how you either spend less than 1k or north of 2k with nothing in the middle. I'll eventually go stainless not because I feel I need stainless but because I don't trust these factories in china to not have something chemically nasty in or underneath that powder coating. I'll settle for something like that for now. I figure it won't go sour before I decide to make that change and be able to afford it.

Yeah I got an Avian Advanture powder coated thinking I got a quality cage for Ruby but with-in the first 5 months I started to noticed a lot of paint chipping and rust, but I was able to deal with it because I found that Kirkland Eco-friendly dish soap does a really good job at cleaning off rust. Than 3 more months later the Avian Advanture emblem fell off along with some bars more out of place. Lucky, during that time I got a raised and started saving my money to buy a stainless steel cage and the market was open to me. Good luck! Keep us updated when the time comes for both the fid and cage.

Talked to Mark at Freedom Cage today. He said that only his powder coated cages are imported and that once the stock of those is done he'll stick with the stainless and not have anymore made. Instead of china his cages were coming from inda or pakistan. The powder coat version of those isn't as heavy duty as the kings 306, 406, or 506. However I've also read bad experiences dealing with him. So I don't know what to do.

Do you have any welders local to you that would fabricate a cage to your specs? I doubt it would be less expensive but you would get exactly what you want.

Don't tempt me! I took a welding course at the art school I went to. If there were a welding shop that I could rent time I would make one myself. But working with stainless steel is a real pain I've been told. I did get pretty handy with aluminum.

To bring things back to what this thread was originally about. I feel like the few companies making american made stainless steel cages should get together and find a way to offer financing for their products. A well made stainless steel cage is a lifetime investment, it will likely last you longer than your current car if well cared for. If I could pay off a cage over a year or so I'd gladly pay interest on that. Currently people buy a cheap powder coat cage and start saving until the powder coat starts to break down and either buy another powder coat of varying quality or move up to stainless. Which is probably fine. However I think it sends a bad message to the pet trade that they don't need to cater to the higher end market if the low end is selling so well. It seems as if there will be no high quality cages 10 years from now. So many brands have either gone belly up or have turned to the same cut rate factories everyone else has. If these companies spent more than two minutes marketing themselves and the long term pay off of such an investment I think more people would choose to invest in better cages.

Talked to Mark at Freedom Cage today. He said that only his powder coated cages are imported and that once the stock of those is done he'll stick with the stainless and not have anymore made. Instead of china his cages were coming from inda or pakistan. The powder coat version of those isn't as heavy duty as the kings 306, 406, or 506. However I've also read bad experiences dealing with him. So I don't know what to do.

I have also talked to him and he told me that they came from China. Also cages coming from China, Pakistan, and India are equivalent to each other and the stainless steel cages coming from those companies have been found to have a black residue that is toxic to birds. They mix more elements like chrome and then are run through a process called Elector Polish which creates that shiny look like a minor reflecting light.

In all, BUYER BEWARE!

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Animal Environments cage and would buy again, except that they don't manufacture anything but stainless.

Regardless of where a cage is made, US, Europe, Asia, it doesn't matter - there are good and bad from all. Look at the cage specs and look at one personally if you can. Make sure the cage works for you and your bird. What I like doesn't matter - it must meet my bird's needs first, then mine second (size, cleanability, etc).

It really all comes down to how much you are willing to pay for what you get. You can pay thousands for commercial quality cages, or a handful of hundreds for a reasonable retail cage. Again, it doesn't matter where they are made.

Finally, don't just think you are getting a US-built cage from a US-based company. It doesn't work that way. Just ask Apple.

• 11 months later...

Just to add to the whole sending a bad message about not catering to higher end market... When I open my Bird and Fish Pet store, I plan on making it more possible to everyone to buy stainless steel cages that are US made. Hey I think I will advertise "Buy or reserve your baby plus stainless steel cage together and get either 15% off cage or a first time bird owner starter kit and includes a 1 lb bag of food, 1 toys and owners guide to good parrot keeping", or 8% off cage and something else that I don't know what else would appeals to parrot owners.

Now, What would appeal to parrot owner in forking over a large sum of money for a stainless steel cage?