NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Show us your amazon!!!!

Luvparrots

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiwi is quite handsome Sydney Peaches! My Louie is also a BF zon. He is 4 years old. I love him to pieces and you are so right zons are totally different from greys. Such personalities and so loving. I am looking forward to hearing and seeing much more of Kiwi! Welcome to the Amazon Room!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Nice amazon! Looks like Nilah when she was young. Look forward to hearing more!

Thankyou Talon :) When I saw your pic of Nilah, I thought how much alike they both look :)

Codie is a real character, She is now picking up new words everyday.... The only problem I have with her is she will not tolerate anyone else but me:( I can do anything with her at all, she just wants to be with me all the time! As soon as any other Member of the family go near her, she then starts growling and sqawking at them :(

Aww.. She is protecting her favorite flock member. I had this problem with Nilah attacking others on occasion. I read that in the wild, amazons have a mate for life, and although they would go off to forage for food, they always returned and would just stay nearby their chosen mate and hang out preening, not really interacting, just wanting to be together. After I read that, I understood her behaviour a bit more, she was protecting me from others......I allowed her to be with me and talked , including her in my daily activities and cuddled more with her, and she has calmed down. But she does like to be with me...:)

Yes, I must admit she does seem very protective over me! While I am in the same room with her, then she will quite happily stay on her stand and just sit with me, but the minute I go out of the room I can hear her little feet tapping accross the floor, then she will poke her head round the corner and very cutely say " Hello" :)

• 7 months later...
Hi, how long have you had Rocky? Whats the baby's age? Good looking Zon........

We have had Rocky for about 2 months. We adopted him from a couple. He belonged to the woman's father who had passed away. He had 7 birds and had a room dedicated to them. The couple said that he was approximately 20 years old. He was very standoffish when we first got him. He would "growl" if you tried to touch him or get close to him. Many hours a day since we got him have been spent talking to him, rewarding him for positive behavior and working with him. He is now to where he will sometimes step up on our finger. He loves to have his head scratched. He loves to show off. And he is beginning to mimic some sounds around him too. He is a very sweet bird. I think the loss of his original owner was hard on him. As was going from a 7 bird household to a 1 bird household (him only). So yesterday we were at an Exotic Bird fair and we fell in love with an African Grey. His name is Charlie. So now we have Charlie and Rocky.

It's funny. As I am typing this my kids have a small radio in the living room and are playing and dancing to the music. Both birds observed them dancing and began dancing with them. First time I've seen either of them dance (the birds, not the kids). It's a good feeling to have such amazing pets, but it's an even better feeling that I was able to help rescue them.

Edited by jangell

We have had Rocky for about 2 months. We adopted him from a couple. He belonged to the woman's father who had passed away. He had 7 birds and had a room dedicated to them. The couple said that he was approximately 20 years old. He was very standoffish when we first got him. He would "growl" if you tried to touch him or get close to him. Many hours a day since we got him have been spent talking to him, rewarding him for positive behavior and working with him. He is now to where he will sometimes step up on our finger. He loves to have his head scratched. He loves to show off. And he is beginning to mimic some sounds around him too. He is a very sweet bird. I think the loss of his original owner was hard on him. As was going from a 7 bird household to a 1 bird household (him only). So yesterday we were at an Exotic Bird fair and we fell in love with an African Grey. His name is Charlie. So now we have Charlie and Rocky.

It's funny. As I am typing this my kids have a small radio in the living room and are playing and dancing to the music. Both birds observed them dancing and began dancing with them. First time I've seen either of them dance (the birds, not the kids). It's a good feeling to have such amazing pets, but it's an even better feeling that I was able to help rescue them.

Your a good parront.....Thanks

Jayd...since you appear to be one of the resident experts. He is missing a toe nail. It looks like he lost the end of his toe, but it appears to be many years old. It doesn't appear to affect him, so I am not too worried about it. What is your opinion? I know that animals adapt to nearly anything. That is why it really doesn't worry me.

I am looking for a local avian vet to get him checked out just in case, but there apparently aren't many nearby. He looks (to me) and acts like he is in great health, but I'd like to get him checked just in case. Also, it looks to me like one of his nostrils is plugged. It doesn't seem to bother his breathing and I don't hear weezing. But again, I'd still like to get it checked out. Right now he is just not comfortable enough with me yet for me to be able to closely examine it.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.