Talon

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, uploaded a few pictures to an old Flickr account, let's see if they work:

Mar's cage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59819856@N05/10664209004/

Meg's cage:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59819856@N05/10664215094/

Just cleaned, I hadn't added toys back in yet. Already they are throwing food and water, and pooping before I even get the toys and bowls in place. I steam mopped the floor as well, and Mar sat right on the front of the cage and managed to miss the throw rug with a large "present". Notice the dog in the background, cleaning up the tidbits of food. This is why we must wipe the poo up quickly. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

The old Macaw cage that arrived with her:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24636

It's hard to see in this photo, but even when I put several branches in it, the cage really overwhelmed her size-wise. The bar spacing on this is 1" (actually less between the bars themselves) and she never had a problem with it. The problem was that the powder coat was so scratched up and worn out and chipped up -- it looked very thinly applied.

Her new Stainless Steel:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24638

Only a little bit smaller, but definitely more fitting for her size, and not so far to fall (although since we've been working on flying and balance, she rarely tumbles any more). It is the same width, a little smaller in depth, and same height, but the bottom is now closer to her. The bar spacing is 1" but again, actually smaller between the bars, so basically the same as the one above in which she lived most of her life so far. Her head cannot fit between the bars.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24637

Inara loving the new set up!

attachment.php?attachmentid=24639

Having fun! Although, I've moved the extra water dish that you see in this photo, so that the likelihood of poopage in the water is drastically reduced.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24640

Loving life!

Inara happily moved into her new cage today, and played and played, and chatted and chatted, and is now peacefully sleeping atop her favorite roosting perch that moved in with her. I didn't want to put too many things into her new home until she gets really comfortable maneuvering around it, and gets really settled in. She was a bit "Up, up, up" and restless before bedtime, but we just kept to her basic routine, talked to her matter of factly and sat in our usual places where she could see us (open floor plan) and she settled down in no time.

I have left the light on near her dimmed very low, so that if she wakes up in the middle of the night, she can see her way around in the new layout.

The cage is a Featherland stainless steel, and while so far so good I did insist that Joe use a fine metal file to smooth out the exposed ends of the door latch mechanisms as they felt sharp to me. Other than that, very pleased.

Edited by Inara

ok heres Smokeys cage

100_0768_zps5e2292af.jpg

no more boings forSmokey I tried and he went through 3 brand new boings in no time ,I have a nice long dragon wood perch in the middle that works better . I could say this was Smokey / SWhamrocks cage lol Shamrock loves being on Smokeys cage he especially loves his playtop

Inara, what brand is the stainless cage? Animal environments? If it is, are the feeders on the right a different brand? Because I thought A&E cages had the external feeders but with bars, not clear plastic.

KimKim, it is a Featherland, model 3624 (24” deep x 36” wide x 65” high--actual cage size-(usable inside height space 42”), 304 grade stainless. I had found a great deal on a barely used Animal Enviromments, but the bar spacing was their standard 1.5" so had to pass it up.

The enclosed feeders took her aback a little bit, but after I dropped a few of her favorite treats into one, and splashed around the water in the other, she decided they were OK after trying unsuccessfully to flip the ceramic dishes several times.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, nice! What brand is yours? A feather land also?

Yes, it is. I tried to order an A&E 40x30 but they were sold out everywhere. I wanted a square top but am happy with this one. It was the easiest to assemble and is very nice quality. I would recommend this cage. I got it from getbirdstuff and they were very nice. I had a question when I was assembling it, and they called me right back.

Yes, it is. I tried to order an A&E 40x30 but they were sold out everywhere. I wanted a square top but am happy with this one. It was the easiest to assemble and is very nice quality. I would recommend this cage. I got it from getbirdstuff and they were very nice. I had a question when I was assembling it, and they called me right back.

That is where I got Inara's, and I agree. They were really nice to work with. I would also recommend the cages, and their business.

Yesterday we were changing rear side wallpaper of Poly's cage. He was in overall inspection and monitoring charge while removing the old wallpaper and putting new one.:) He didn't wait for us to finish with bringing all the stuff back in the cage, but he went in, took a look on the wall paper, fluffed his feathers and said "good night".

Poly new cage wallpaper.jpg

• 1 month later...

Below you may see my new cage. First I started to use my family's 30 year old cage which belongs to our passed away African grey (whom was with us between 1984 to 2006). But then I thought that cage was good for 30 years ago (as there wasn't much choices here in Turkey those times) so I bought this new one. This is one of the better options here in Turkey as we have lots of low cost Chinese cages (which I think could be harmful for my new buddy) and I bought this one which was made in Belgium. I think as they're a member of EU so they won't let cage producers to use toxic-harmful materials while producing the cage.

First picture was taken @ my home. The other one is the same cage from the producer's catalog.

wLE6D0.jpg

82480974956904661101.jpg