NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Top 10 Common Foods that Can Poison Your Bird

timotian

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what I thought, but for some reason the breeder said bread makes african greys sick which kind of shocked me since I didn't read anything about it. Kinda had me worried about the breeder, but all other questions I had I verified and they were all correct. Except for maybe the clipping, but just reading on it a lot of people debate, although now I kind of wish he didn't clip it.

Heard a lot of good things about this place though. Unless I misheard him and he said a different food, but I don't think so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

This was very informative, I did not know about mushrooms or uncooked beans. How about plain hummus, no garlic of course, or red pepper hummus? I eat it with carrots all the time, my grey is not home yet, but I share it with my BB as well, he seems to love it. Also, regarding caffeine, I am an avid coffee drinker, and again my BB is obsessed, I know its bad so I try to keep it from him, but once in awhile he manages to sneak a couple sips. Maybe I should not drink coffee with the birds out? any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Dear,

You share very valuable information about the foods that can poison the birds. I thank for your sharing. Now I have known the poison foods for the birds, and I will try to keep away these foods from my birds.

Edited by Baird

• 4 weeks later...

Being new to being a CAG owner, I really appreciate this list!

Popsicle asked about raw green beans in the post above. I would also like to know if raw green beans are acceptable. I have been giving them to my grey and he eats the inside bean discarding the the outer shell. Is this ok or should I stop giving raw green beans to him?

Just about every vegetable that a bird eats is raw. The reason that a bird may only eat the internals of a certain vegetable is that the bird simple likes it. Many birds like only cooked veggies. Some like only raw veggies and some like both.

Many chop/mash mixes are made with raw veggies as well as other raw items so raw veggies and other raw foods are fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow Timotian. I knew almost all of them. I missed the tomatoes. I thought the whole fruit/veggie was off limits. I didn't know about the stems and leaves. Same with apple cores. I had no clue the seeds were bad and I definitely didn't know about dried beans. So far she hasn't experienced any of the bad foods except apple seeds. That is just a hit or miss opportunity, now it will always be a miss!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Wow. Thanks so much for this information. I was blown away by some of the things that are toxic to my young lady.

I joined this forum because I recently learned that Peanuts are bad for Grays and wanted to check out what else might not be good for my bird.

I have taken peanuts out of her diet no matter how much she loves them. Apparently, they can get some kind of fungus on them that is bad news for grays.

Edited by lycraloon