NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Top 10 Common Foods that Can Poison Your Bird

timotian

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

danmcq, the problem I find in the big city is everyone seems to think that peanuts in their shells and sunflower seeds are the base of a parots food Don't get me wrong, Peta has always loved her raw peanuts in their shells and when she was getting them, she would pick them out for eating first. It was amazing to watch her open up a hole and then pick the nuts out of the shell before discarding it. I used to limit her to about two or three per day, but have decided to remove them completely from her diet.

My concern is that the "aflatoxin" that is found on the peanuts may have contaminated the other food in the packs that we buy.

So now the question is, what should I be feeding her. I will no doubt check out the forum and find the correct places to get these and other answers.

Yes, you are wise not to feed peanuts in the shell. A parrots diet should contain many items, seed and nut mixtures, lots of fresh veggies, cooked legumes of various kinds, mashes etc. If you visit our food room, you will find a ton of information there as well. You may also want to try and introduce some pellets to her diet as well such as harrisons or zupreme. Just mix a few in to the seed/nut mix. Here is one thread to follow among many. :)

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?112983-Nutrition-Diet/page2

There is a ton of food items your girl will find interesting in taste, texture and color. Cooked, raw etc. They enjoy food items prepared in different ways.

Edited by danmcq

Thanks again Dan.

Like people I guess, she has her own little personality. She loves some things raw and others not. For example, she will not eat raw banana but loves the honeyed dried banan chips. Will only eat raw cougetes not cooked. Eats carrots but prefers them cooked. Loves apple but only fresh. will eat yellow corn not white. And definitely has a preference for white sunflower seeds over black ones.

She loves to take a sip of my coffee but that practice will cease now I know what it can do to her.

Mostly, she will not take food from me unless I put it in my mouth (bewtwwen my lips) and feed it to her. And the traitor will take nuts from my GF or GF's daughter. Me, I have to put it in her bowl first.

Go figure. I'm the one who feeds her but she won't take food from me.

• 2 months later...
in which category milk falls?

The worst catagory. Milk and white cheese shouldn't be given to parrots who are lactose intolerent. They can't absorb dairy products. Greys are definitely lactose intelerant and can die and or suffer serious digestive problems.

• 4 weeks later...