NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A Bird Without Wings

danmcq

A BIRD WITHOUT WINGS. By Anne.M.Kenyon

There isnt a song that anyone sings

Thats as sad as the song of a bird without wings.

The song of a bird confined to a cage,

The song of a bird who has felt human rage.

The song of a bird thats ignored night and day,

No sign of good food, no toys, and no play.

Hear that pain as this lonely bird sings,

That is the song of a bird without wings.

The bird that is ill, knowing no-one will care

The bird whos life is loveless and bare.

The bird, who in fear has panicked and bit

And therefore been screamed at,

sworn at and hit.

These are the birds who sing their own song,

Quietly, sadly, but all day long.

If you care, you will hear what this lonely bird sings,

This is the song of a bird without wings.

But sometimes, along comes a person who cares,

Then the bird hears the song that the RESCUER shares!

And the bird stops to listen, and tilts its sweet head,

As it hears new sweet words that its never heard said.

Can you sing to these birds? Help them learn a new song?

Can you show them their pain will not last all life long?

Oh PLEASE be the person who lovingly sings,

And gives flight to a bird,

A bird without wings.

A.M.Kenyon

Edited by danmcq

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Summer

you have a very kind heart, like all the family here at the forum. Having a baby grey is a completely different experience than re-homing one. I have tried both and bothe have their joys and troubles.

I guess since you have no rescue around, you can still get your baby and you will love him/her. In case in the future you are able to take another as a rescue...then you keep looking. In case not you can still help a bird needing rescue by trying to find a home among your friends and family or people you know. I helped my friend find a rescue bird here and Im glad knowing that the bird is in better hands now...

{Nature-00020095}{Nature-00020095}<br><br>Post edited by: ranaz, at: 2009/03/24 10:01

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That was a very touching read. I recently rescued an Umbrella Cockatoo that I am trying to find a good home for. When I went to see her the owner could not even pick the bird up. It was trying to bite her. She was flicking the birds beak with her finger to try to stop it.:evil: Stupid woman! All that does is teach a bird that it cannot trust your hands. She bit me once when I first got her home but I have not had any trouble since then handling her at all.

She was in a filthy cage and sick and they did not even know or care that she was sick. She has now been treated for her infection and is doing well. She loves to be petted and scratched and will sit on my lap like a baby.

Now that she has been here a while I am starting to understand more of what she is saying. Today she said "SHUT UP!" Wonder where she heard that. I swear people ought to have to take a test and get a permit in order to have a bird. It makes me mad that there are so many idiots out there with these precious creatures depending on them for care. Okay I will get off my soapbox now.<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/06/06 04:16

• 10 months later...

You know, it is tough enough to really wrap your head around having a bird as a pet, even if you do everything right by your bird. But believe me when I say..that if I ever see any bird not being treated correctly bad things are going to happen to that person. I am only glad that I have Issac and treat him with tons of love, and toys, and food. He's my love.

I swear people ought to have to take a test and get a permit in order to have a bird. It makes me mad that there are so many idiots out there with these precious creatures depending on them for care..<br><br>Post edited by: Char, at: 2009/06/06 04:16

I couldn't agree more with you Char.

This is a very sad poem, but beautifully written. Thanks for posting it Dan, and Stephen for bringing it to the fore again.

Lovely poem... but sad. I swear if you hear about all the sad cases of neglect and abuse with these precious creatures, it'll send you into depression. Not even just birds, but so many other animals. So yes, take a second to think about them, do what you can to help them... but more important: Take care of your baby and show others just how amazing these guys are when cared for properly and allowed to blossom to their full potential. Love and care for them no matter what... it's what I do :)