NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Homemade Bird Toys

Talon

Here's one that my babies like. Take a whole sheet of newspaper and open it up like you would a book. starting at the very bottom sprinkle pellets, seeds, dry veggies, etc. and start rolling the entire with of the paper. Add more pellets/veggies/seeds etc as you continue to roll the paper until you reach the end. Lastly form a ring with the paper with the yummies inside and secure with a zip tip and hang.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll take a phone book and feed it through the bars on the top of the cage so the pages and covers hang down. Angel usually has it destroyed in a few hours. She absolutely loves it!!

Who would have thought that those phone books I always throw out could be used for something! ;) I love these ideas I think we have spent close to $75 in toys for Annie in the past week. The ones she likes best were baby toys we got 3 for a dollar at a garage sale! LOL Love these ideas and I am going to try some of them!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great idea!! I'm new to this forum and there are so many incredibly creative ideas here! Every time I'm at the store I'm looking for things that Gemma (9 month-old CAG) would enjoy, or for parts to make cool toys. One thing I'd ask about the tube sock idea - I read somewhere that uncooked beans are not safe for birds. Has anyone else heard or read that?

To anyone on this forum who has experience making toys: I have a couple of questions.

1. How do you make the straws into spirals? I saw reference to a pencil sharpener but don't know how that would work.

2. Has anyone made your own "boing" toy? If so, how did you do it?

Also, what does "fid" mean? I've racked my brain and can't figure out what it means!! In a world of initials, I'm a word person! :-)

Thanks to ALL of you who have posted with your ideas, pictures, and responses. I could sit here by the hour and just read all the ideas (OK, maybe I already have....).

To anyone on this forum who has experience making toys: I have a couple of questions.

1. How do you make the straws into spirals? I saw reference to a pencil sharpener but don't know how that would work.

2. Has anyone made your own "boing" toy? If so, how did you do it?

Also, what does "fid" mean? I've racked my brain and can't figure out what it means!! In a world of initials, I'm a word person! :-)

Thanks to ALL of you who have posted with your ideas, pictures, and responses. I could sit here by the hour and just read all the ideas (OK, maybe I already have....).

I can't answer the first two questions but I can handle the last one. It is an abbreviation for "feathered kid" so our feathered children are our "fids". :)

• 2 weeks later...

I made a boing!! It took going to a few different places to find untreated thick rope but finally found some. Tractor Supply or a place that sells horse supplies carries that kind of rope. My husband suggsted clothes hanger wire for the innards. I didn't use the thin white wire but the thicker kind that is attached to a cardboard tube for hanging slacks. I straightened and connected two then wound the rope around it as others have suggested, then put it in the shape I wanted. At the bottom where the rope had already been coming apart I tied toys, whiffle balls, etc. Gemma watched me make it and hung near her cage for a couple days. She sat on it today and was initially unsure. But after I held it steady and gave her treats, then gradually let her feel the flexibility of it, she got used to it and spent an hour or more on it. Picture to follow soon!

• 1 month later...
Gemma sat on her "boing" today for a while, and a bit later I heard her playing with some of the toys tied to the bottom. Here's a picture (I hope - not used to adding pictures yet)....

Excellent! Its great that you made your own boing. Good for Gemma too looks like shes loving it.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first attempt to dye wood (using Chefmaster Liqua-Gel).

Of course, I should've used gloves...

I also found that you should wait until the dye is fully dry before drilling the holes...

Next time I'll use a greater variety of wood sizes.

I used small lengths of PVC (mostly 1/2") as spacers.

The sticks of wood are hibiscus, cut and popped in the oven for a while (at 450 F) to kill any bacteria or mold.

IMG_1370.jpg

(Of course, I'm not putting it right in front of the door - I just put it there for the picture...)

• 3 months later...

I just love these toys andI cant wait to make some for my bird. Im lucky to have a very creative friend that is willing to help me :) what wonderful ideas I have found here. I call her "bird" cuz I havent named her yet, she is still being weened :) I cant wait till shes home with me

Edited by aerial.2000

i get those kitty whiffle balls with a bell inside

then i put drinking straws thru the holes til it looks like a sputnik.

a little twine thru the straws with pony beads knotted at the ends

and lots of parroty fun.

plus merlin loves to oversee mamma's toy-making efforts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok iam totally cnfused and lost :S , i have looked up parrot chains on ebay and they are all from america so how do i know what is safe as i have to go to a shop here,i looked up sisal and pony beads and they come in different widths so how do i know what size to buy?

Ok iam totally cnfused and lost :S , i have looked up parrot chains on ebay and they are all from america so how do i know what is safe as i have to go to a shop here,i looked up sisal and pony beads and they come in different widths so how do i know what size to buy?

About what type of chains are you asking? Metal? Plastic?

If metal, get nickel-plated (most are zinc-plated, which is harmful over time). If plastic, it wouldn't hurt to send a note to the manufacturer and check the material and any additives. One plastic chain manufacturer stated, "With the exception of our safety orange and safety green, our chain does not contain heavy metals." Who expected the plastic chains to contain ANY heavy metals?

As to the beads, buy a variety of sizes and shapes.

Edited by Doug

One toy I make for Brutus is threading pasta tubes along a untanned leather cord. He loves to crunch all the pasta and break them off one-by-one. Kinda messy <G> He also loves to take the plastic tops off, empty, rinsed, and tightened, vitamin bottles. A piece of cardboard folded like a taco and filled with uncolored raffia from the craft store, and chunks of wood, and the occasional walnut wrapped in paper is also good for entertainment. Another fun and inexpensive thing to do in the kitchen, is letting him have the discarded portions of (organic and rinsed) nontoxic vegetables and fruits such as: banana peels, broccoli stems, leeks, corn husks, and bottoms of lettuce heads. He totally loves shredding them while I cook.

Untanned? Or un-colored? If it isn't tanned, it isn't flexible unless it is wet (rawhide).