NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

100 % natural aloe vera juice

Dave007

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, this Aloe Vera thing is very new to me. With my birds in Brazil I used to just leave a dish with clean water every day for them and they would bathe whenever they felt like it. But I've read Greys have more dander than other parrots. So just confirming... I should shower him with water first and only after water I'd squirt him with aloe vera juice once or twice a week, correct?

I found this one online... Do you think it's ok?

http://www.thehealthbay.com/aloe-pura-organic-aloe-vera-juice-500ml-c-378-p-295?utm_source=google&utm_medium=basefeed&utm_campaign=redback

Thanks.

Dave, this Aloe Vera thing is very new to me. With my birds in Brazil I used to just leave a dish with clean water every day for them and they would bathe whenever they felt like it. But I've read Greys have more dander than other parrots. So just confirming... I should shower him with water first and only after water I'd squirt him with aloe vera juice once or twice a week, correct?

I found this one online... Do you think it's ok?

http://www.thehealthbay.com/aloe-pura-organic-aloe-vera-juice-500ml-c-378-p-295?utm_source=google&utm_medium=basefeed&utm_campaign=redback

Thanks.

There's 2 species of birds that give off heavy dander---cockatoos, greys. If your bird takes regular baths, you really don't need to use aloe juice. When a bird bathes through it's own choice, the skin will get extremely wet as well as all other feathers. Birds simply know how to naturally bathe where they'll get the full benefits of the bath. Many other greys don't like bathing, spraying, misting or showers. For those birds, the skin gets itchy and flaky and will throw off more dander. A person is then given different methods to get the bird soaked down. A person can't bathe a bird as properly as a bird can bathe itself. So for dry, flaky skin, spraying with wather and spraying with the juice helps to ease the dryness of the skin. Right now, from what you say, it doesn't sound like your bird needs it but it's always a good thing to use the juice. The juice is not a medication. It simply does good things to a bird's skin but I should tell you that neither juice or water will do any good if it's not sprayed in the incorrect areas. All external feathers are waterproof so any fluid you use just runs off the bird's feathers and really doesn't do much good. It's the skin that must be soaked and the bird needs to drip dry on it's own. The longer they stay wet, the better the skin and preening is more effective--no towels, no hair dryers.

As far as the product in your site, it seems to be good but what I can't tell you about is the price or amount of your product compared to US.

In the US, 1 gallon of aloe vera juice costs approx $9.

So I should encourage the parrot to always bathe himself, right? But mine usually do it only once a week. For what you all say it doesn't sound like enough to keep Grey's dander in control. What should I do? Leave it to happen just once a week or whatever frequency the bird wants or should I mist him as well?

Edited by Popsicle

So I should encourage the parrot to always bathe himself, right? But mine usually do it only once a week. For what you all say it doesn't sounds like enough to keep Grey's dander in control. What should I do? Leave it to happen just once a week or whatever frequency the bird wants or should I mist him as well?

I never said anything about frequency. I don't know why you think that 1x a week isn't enough. A bird can be misted in order for the exterior feathers to get wet and the bird shakes off the water and dust. That can be done whenever you feel like it.

A bird can't be encouraged to bathe. They do that when they want to. You can leave a bowl there or spray him or both. It's up to you. Dander is natural feather protection. It can't be kept in control. Greys will have dander throughout their whole lives. It's dusty and greys shake and flap it off and other areas get dusty. People get annoyed at that dustiness. It's not the bird's fault. Vacuuming is sometimes needed.

If you leave water dishes there, the water will get dirty. It's up to you. I doubt very much that your bird will take a bath everyday. Greys don't need to be bathed every day. No bird does. The bird will bathe when nature tells the bird that it needs to bathe. It may be in a dish, a water bowl, a puddle or in just about anything that's around.

When I said encourage I meant doing it by always providing a clean bowl for him to bathe himself. That's what I used to do with my Amazons and they enjoyed it. When I saw they were taking too long to have a bath I would spray them a little and that would usually make them go to the bowl and finish their bath themselves. I'm gonna watch the Grey's amount of dander/dust and then decide how often I will bathe him. Thanks.

Edited by Popsicle

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest danielsingh

I went and after a lot of searching I finally found this product - BRIMUNE Sugar Free Brihans Aloe Juice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21732[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21733[/ATTACH]

this is more of a drink to be mixed in water.

Can i hopefully use this mixture to mist my CAG?

comments please.

I read somewhere that 100% aloe vera is high in Vit A which is an important vitamin for a healthy preen gland. Can anyone confirm this?

I think you're confusing aloe vera juice with red palm oil. The juice is not given internally. It's sprayed on the bird's skin ( for dryness and itchiness)

Red palm oil which is given internally is the product that has Vit A and Vit E which a grey benefits from.

• 1 month later...

No, the slightest bit of dilution will negatively affect the aloe making it useless.

The internal material in leafs of the aloe plant are used as a salve/gel to put on cuts, bruises, bald spots, irritated skin etc. It stays thick and remains on the bird for a short amount of time allowing it to do it's job. Only a small amount is needed and it isn't toxic. Small pieces are broken off the leafs but the plant won't die. It's always a good idea to have some around but that same gel can be purchased in pharmacies.

DSCN0113.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

hi im new to these forums but i did read this thread a few times before singing up, my grey had a dry patch what looked a bit sore under his wing so i searched the net for a solution and came across this great thread :)

well within a week or so after using 100% aloe juice in his "shower" bottle it has nearly gone, thanks for the great info it has helped alot :)

• 5 months later...

for anyone looking for aloe vera juice it's on sale at walmarts right now for $7.00 I think I'am going to pick some up tomorrow before I leave work , I have been using Aloe Vera Gel which was recommended by the refeathing kit I bought for Smokey , he did have some really red and sore looking spots on him from plucking but he looks ok now so I'am going to keep the gel for emergencies or incase I need to use it again and start using the juice once or twice a week on him

• 1 month later...
Could one mix some aloe be added to bath water? Gracie does NOT like being sprayed.

POST---#40, and 41.

The item to use on the skin is aloe vera gel. There's a picture of the juice in this thread ( POST #33). There's also instructions on how to use it. The posts tell about the use of aloe gel mixed with water.

Edited by Dave007

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
hi does anybody know where i can get the juice from here in the uk ? paying nearly 100 pound for a gallon ?

There's many places in the UK where Aloe Vera Juice and Aloe Vera Gel can be purchased but just like in the US, there's many people that need to order it online. Below are just a couple of places and none of them cost as much as what you quoted.

www.aloejuices.co.uk

http://uk.shop.com/Beauty/aloe+vera+juice

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optima-Healt.../dp/B0013G1ROS

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=aloe+vera+juice

As far as your picture, are you referring to pasta or a bird's name??