NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What made you want a grey?

jasperk

I thought it might be fun to know what made other people want one of these amazing birds.

at first I wanted one beacuse of their amazing vocab. and beautiful red and grey feathers but now its more about their personalitys and if my baby never says a word that'll be ok cuz he'll still have his cute personality.

so what about you?

We had parrots growing up. We had a Sun Conure, another type of Conure, and a Kakariki that flew in our window on a Friday afternoon. I was never really close to the Conures, they were pretty much my mom's birds. But the Kakariki was a different story...we named him Friday, for obvious reasons...we took him to the vet right away, put an ad in the paper in case someone lost their bird. No one claimed him. Anyway, Friday was very sick. He required daily shots to his chest. My mom couldn't handle it, so I had to do it. We became very close. I was his and he was mine. He trusted me totally, he never bit me even though I was doing horrible things to him. He only lived a couple of years. He was always sick...I wonder if he was wild caught. Anyway, ever since Friday, I've always wanted a parrot of my own. I just didn't know what kind. Then I saw a TV show about a Grey who had telepathic abilities with his owner. (I hope that's the correct grammar.) They way those two got along was fascinating to me. The human nature of Greys attracted me to them. I knew they could learn to talk, that was no big deal. I figured they were just copying sounds. But I didn't know they could learn to say things in context with what was really going on until I witnessed it with my own Grey. So, I guess what made me want a Grey was their human-like emotions, their personalies, and you never know what's going to happen next. Now, what attracts me to her...those three things plus the things she says...she's her own being, she teases us and the dog:lol: , and she makes her own choices and I respect those choices.<br><br>Post edited by: HeatherStrella, at: 2009/03/30 01:07

Well, I was actually terrified of bids lol but then last summer I started going into these 2 pet stores around here and looking at the birds.

I then fell in love with the african greys, i would visit them a lot during the summer and thats when i decided i wanted one for myself. although it took me awhile to even hold one(before i bought one), i am attached to the hip with my african grey haha

i am very much an animal person, i really love them.

Well Ive had birds since I was a kid...canaries... they used to lay egges and i used to hand feed them and play with them...then when my brother got a grey I started reading about them to give him some helpful information then I fell in love with greys and decided to get mine... but all the reading didnt prepare me to the wonderful experience Im having with my Grey... I wouldnt change this for anything...

{Nature-00020095}

Grey was last on my list coz it's the least colorful.

I wanted an Amazon but my wife said green is so common and boring. She fell in love when she saw Grey for the fist time. She said Grey has beautiful feathers and the colors are unique.

HeatherStella said all the things that make me love Tobie. I know he's a bird and a non domesticated animal, but when he talks and even uses correct intonations for the situation and appropriate words for a situation and laughs some times appropriately! Well what can I say. He is just the most endearing little guy.