NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

clipped but definitely trying to fly

vgladden40

My baby has always flopped aeound but today for the first time he has crouched down in the pre flight position and is actively trying to fly, which of course, fails. The breeder clipped the long feathers on both sides so he flaps on his way down. She said he flew before she clipped him. Does anyone have an idea of why NOW?

Even when mine was clipped, she was able to fly but short distances. When clipping the wings, the vet explained that you want to cut them a little shorter that the bird could still fly (this is whats they're ment for) but not long distance, just short flies. I guess it maintains their self confidence.

Also I have noticed that Kookie sometimes hangs on to the perch real tight with his feet, but flapps his wings so quick and strong...I guess its part of excercising rather than trying to fly...I guess most greys do that...

{Nature-00020095}

Yes they do Rana, my Josey does that and I guess they are exercising their wings.

Your grey was properly clipped, just enough that she can still fly short distances but not gain any height and it gives them more confidence than a too short clip where they fall like a rock, they could damage their keel bone that way.

They are meant to fly and will try over and over again. Your Grey will soon learn just how far it can make it and will start targeting those areas like a couch, chair, counter top, lamp (Crash as it falls over) etc.

As the muscles develope, you will notice your grey become more confident and learn to fly VERY FAST to compensate for the lack of wing lift to get to those just previously out of reach spots.

The good news is it was a good clip job and he doesn't crash to the ground. The bad news is your going to have to watch him every second to ensure his safety when out. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/03/24 15:54