danmcq

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Another great post. I am going to save the permalink to share with new or prospective new bird owners I meet. I really think the lack of this knowledge is what blind-sides people. That adorable cuddly baby goes away, and then they don't know what to do, or aren't prepared to deal with a pound of attitude that can fly and has a beak like a can opener and sharp talons. I think if more people read this article BEFORE getting a bird, it might deter those who shouldn't be Parrot Parents, and prepare those who should but need to know what to expect. It's well written, and covers a lot of things that I am some bird owners were never prepared for.

I'm so glad you promote flighted birds. All nine of our babies are flighted, with the youngest three never having been clipped. I understand there are those who feel it is 'safer' to clip. I suppose in some ways it is. But in other ways, it is not. It is my view that keeping my birds clipped would be like cutting my human child's legs off at the knees to keep them 'safe' and out of trouble. That being said, I also acknowledge that others have a right to raise theirs in a way they see fit. It's not for me, but I understand why some people do it.

• Haha 1

Hi Muse - I and many members here believe very strongly in all birds remaining flighted. Finally after decades of clipping being promoted by breeders, parrot behaviorists and avian vet's for bird safety and "control". The tides are changing and they are coming to realize it was a grave error promulgated that detrimentally affects a parrots physical and mental well being. It is my personal belief that clipping is never needed if the parrot owner and family are fully cautious of open doors, where the birds is and just listen for wing flaps. Clipping may help a person that does not have the patience or even bothers to take time to learn how to deal with unruly behavior. But, that momentary lapse in behavioral issues as the parrot recovers from the shock and loss of flight and mobility will not help the behavioral issues for long. With that said though, there are those isolated cases where birds will violently fly and attack a family member and especially if it is a child that clipping may be necessary for child safety. But, I still believe in most cases the family adults just did not teach their human child not to terrorize the bird or run around like a mad man near the parrot and alarm it. Again, this is just my opinion and I realize each person has their own and will do ultimately what they believe is the best in their particular situation.

Edited by danmcq

I am so glad this thread has been refreshed. When I read it the first time, I was thinking of a baby and his development process. Now, reading it anew with Gilgirl in mind, I see some things she missed along the way and her development process was interrupted causing some frustration and changes in her demeanor. Its a lot easier to think of starting from the middle than hoping she would become transformed into what she "used to be" or pushing for change that a rehomed grey is not ready to accommodate.

Another way of thinking about clipping is... number one... it is not a clipping, but a trimming. The " timing", is what works. When you have birds and owners, miss out on the opportunity to learn, you find experienced owners, with birds that " bite". A bird that wants to be " higher" than you? Majority say " no big deal!" No way, will any of my birds be " higher than me!". I've tested it. My first serious bite. Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoyed this thread. Inara's former people had said that she had become very "bitey" and she had nailed one of them so hard that there will be a scar. I have underneath it all thought that this might have prompted them more to wanting to rehome her, than the 'economic' reasons. Once that fear of handling our companions sets in, it's hard to extinguish and they sense it. Having had only older birds in my past, this thread was/is especially helpful to me as Inara is now about 27 months old and definitely asserting herself, although (so far!) she really is not bitey with us. She will just get "beaky" when she's tired, hungry, or otherwise ready to go back to her cage for some quiet time. It's good to know what to look for as she matures sexually, and socially, as well as physically. Thank you for a great post!

Hi Muse - I and many members here believe very strongly in all birds remaining flighted. Finally after decades of clipping being promoted by breeders, parrot behaviorists and avian vet's for bird safety and "control". The tides are changing and they are coming to realize it was a grave error promulgated that detrimentally affects a parrots physical and mental well being. It is my personal belief that clipping is never needed if the parrot owner and family are fully cautious of open doors, where the birds is and just listen for wing flaps. Clipping may help a person that does not have the patience or even bothers to take time to learn how to deal with unruly behavior. But, that momentary lapse in behavioral issues as the parrot recovers from the shock and loss of flight and mobility will not help the behavioral issues for long. With that said though, there are those isolated cases where birds will violently fly and attack a family member and especially if it is a child that clipping may be necessary for child safety. But, I still believe in most cases the family adults just did not teach their human child not to terrorize the bird or run around like a mad man near the parrot and alarm it. Again, this is just my opinion and I realize each person has their own and will do ultimately what they believe is the best in their particular situation.

I'd never thought about the attacking a child scenario. But then again, we can't have human children, which is why we have all our feathered and furred kids. I guess that is why I'd never considered it. Thank you for the explanation.

I can't even imagine life with a clipped grey. I love the fact that Gracie flies where and when she wants. I just can't envision a scenario where clipping or trimming would serve any purpose. I make sure her environment is safe,,,doors and windows closed--no ceiling fans--no open boiling pots or seat up in the bathroom. She loves to fly. I see the joy in it. Sometimes she does laps around my apartment over and over--landing in different spots--investigating different things. Several times a day, Gracie flies and flies and swoops and lands wherever she wants. She is confident--happy and in control of where she wants to be. If she doesn't feel comfortable with something she can fly away from it. What is the need to clip? I don't want to clip her so she becomes more docile or dependent on me. I can't see how that improves her life. Yes, if she were clipped, maybe she would have to depend more on me. But does that help her mental health? I have yet to read any convincing evidence that clipping serves any purpose at all unless the bird is actively attacking or harming family members. I just don't see any point at all.

I've came to the conclusion that Timber never fledged. His clip has mostly grown out, yet he shows no interest in flying except when startled. He flies to the ground and waits for me to come pick him up. He doesn't drop like a rock and lands OK when that happens. I guess I'll have to look into "flight" lessons. He is finally accepting my husband and stepped on his arm the other day for the first time.

Now that Toby's turned 2, I decided to check this post for the description of the terrible two's. Toby is very sweet, but I've noticed a definite change in behavior recently.

Toby was clipped when we got him, and it's taken a while to have his feathers grow out. In the last couple of months, he has really perfected his flying technique. He will now fly upstairs, make tight turns around corners, and stopped crashing into windows (for the most part). I read on this forum that keeping a parrot flighted is critical to their self esteem. Well, this is not a bird with self esteem problems...his behaviors include:

1) Resisting being put on his perch or in his cage (by biting *hard* and scratching, hanging off my sleeve)

2) Flying around the room and landing on my head (happens 4-5 times a day) and chewing my hair, headset, or whatever he can get his beak on

3) Screaming or whistling whenever he loses sight of me

4) Climbing down from his cage, coming to my desk and biting my ankles until I pick him up

5) Getting in the middle of everything during meals - tries to steal food, put his head in the water glass, running off with a fork

It has gotten to the point that I have to keep him in the cage more than I want to, because I can no longer leave him on a play top and trust him to stay put. He demands attention on his terms, and while it is cute, it's also very distracting. Is this normal "terrible twos" behavior? Any tips on how to cope?

Toby fits the perfect description of what I posted at the beginning of this thread. Not every grey is like that, but they are in varying degrees.

1) Resisting being put on his perch or in his cage (by biting *hard* and scratching, hanging off my sleeve)

* This is normal and you just need to be consistent in making sure you place him where you want him. He will soon learn resistance is futile.

2) Flying around the room and landing on my head (happens 4-5 times a day) and chewing my hair, headset, or whatever he can get his beak on

* You need to duck as you hear him flying towards you so he misses. If he does land on your head, bend forward quickly so he must fly away. He will soon learn your head is not a good landing spot. Be consistent with this.

3) Screaming or whistling whenever he loses sight of me

* This is normal contact calling. Ignore it or just tell him your "Busy" or describe what your doing. He will then become accustomed to this and may still contact call, but less often. Be consistent in this.

4) Climbing down from his cage, coming to my desk and biting my ankles until I pick him up

* Pick him up before he gets to your feet and place him on a stand or in his cage. He will learn it is not acceptable behavior. Be consistent in this.

5) Getting in the middle of everything during meals - tries to steal food, put his head in the water glass, running off with a fork

* This is normal. They want to eat with the flock. If you do not wish for him to be there with you eating a meal. Then you need to cage him during your meal time.

The key to all of this, I repeated many times.... Be Consistent. :)

Edited by danmcq

• 4 months later...

Thank you so much for posting such a interesting lines. It's so much to learn about them!

I am getting my boy this weekend, he is 1 year old.

He folled up with my command "step up" when I just met him. The breeder told me to put my finger in front of him, tell him "step up" wait that he puts his first foot on my finger and then right away with a little bit of help (can't remember exactly what move) make him puat on my finger his other foot.

Does this look good?

Go over the step up routine with your breeder that apparently they have established with this grey. They are finicky and if something they are used to body language wise on the human side may confuse them. I do not offer just a finger as a step up due to it being a very vulnerable target for a nasty bite. I only slide my whole hand either flat or balled up in a fist under him if I know my grey is not going to comply for example because I am moving him from a spot that is forbidden that he has reached. You'll learn as you go to know when to use which method. Your new Grey will train you well over time. :)