NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey Personality changes in years

danmcq

African Greys go through personality changes as they age. The changes predominately take place in the first 5 years of their life. I can not count the posts received on this forum from new Grey owners wondering why their cuddle muffin baby all of a sudden is no longer that compliant little feather pillow they brought home at 12 to 20 week old baby.

They thought they had somehow just done everything right and they had socialized and raised their baby in just a few months to a point they thought they would not experience the behavioral issues read about in books and online forums.....WRONG!!!!!

This important information is not really covered in the books or online articles most seek out to be prepared for their new Grey.

Why this is not common in these resources really baffles me. Due to the unsuspecting owner wondering what is happening with their baby Grey.

Hopefully, by reviewing the age and behavior changes below. You will not be surprised to find your Grey doing and acting like a normal Grey growing up in a wild flock where they reside with their parents up to age 2 and then continue to learn from a larger flock of 100 or more until they reach sexual maturity at around 5 years of age.

These magnificent birds have a life span of up to 50 or 60 years. It is perhaps easier to think of how a human ages and learns. Those first 5 years are the formative years, like a human child. These first years will determine their mental, physical, personality and life coping skills for the rest of their many decades of life.

Changes to expect timeline:

Months

4 to 6 - They will have Black Eyes, blackish coloring on the ends of their tail feathers and most will be fairly docile, cuddly, watching your every move, depend on you like a baby child ( as they are actually), make baby sounds and normally not seem to have a will of their own. They are making contact calls, learning some whistles etc. Enjoy these precious months with your "Baby". Some Greys may even start talking as early as 4 months old. TAGs are known for this as the seem to mature at this stage faster than CAGs.

Depending on how they were brought up and socialized by the breeder. They may be stand offish, growl, scream and yes bite when you first bring them home. Only you can tell this by watching them closely the first few days and noting their comfort with the new cage, home surroundings and people there.

Go slow and don't try to force yourself on them. It is all about building their trust in you and their new home. Patience is the key here. You can lose trust quickly if you push yourself on them and experience a set back in how long it may take to get their full trust.

Some may just be a friendly cuddle muffin the day you bring them home. Each bird and circumstance is different. There is no cookie cutter concept that fits each Grey. They are all individuals with different upbringing and experiences they bring with them.

One note on the beak. It is the way they learn and test everything around them. A soft beaking is just their way of feeling things, letting you know they love you and maybe want you to stop what your doing. Soft or even firm beaks are NOT a bite.

They should have fledged or are fledging to build those flight skills, coordination, confidence and Neural pathways that will remain with them the rest of their lives. I can not stress enough the importance of a bird being allowed to properly fledge. It does not mean the breeder allowed a flight or two before clipping their wings. That is NOT fledging.

Fledging is learning not just that they can actually fly. It means they learn how to control lift, turns, slowing down, hovering, good landing spots and bad landing spots. They also learn what windows are and will not fly into them once they know they exist.

If possible, do not allow the breeder to clip your birds wings. They were made to fly and their entire cardio vascular system, brain and self confidence is all linked to this wonderful capability only birds have. It is their natural instinct, keeps them safe and from harm by other critters like dogs and cats....It is what they were made to do. It is also almost unheard of for a flighted bird to pluck.

7 to 12 - Their eyes are lightening now to an iris color slowly changing from dark to silver. They will start trying to let you know when they really do not want to do something by running away, avoiding your hand and not listening to commands such as step up. They will normally just go a head and comply though.

They are still fairly docile, not as cuddly (atleast not for as long) and are exploring on their own. The baby sounds have lessened quite a bit. Be prepared for molting out of all those down feathers!! You'll have enough to make a pillow out of! They are picking up sounds from phones, alarms, dogs, cats etc. and MAYBE a word or two, most will not speak at this early age. Especially CAG's, TAGS seem to start a little earlier and may have mastered some words a sentences.

They may also start occasionally biting in these second six months as they learn desires wanted outside of what you wish. They are "Aware" of themselves, likes and dislikes. Just maintain consistency in your actions and requests. Do not try to punish your bird by ways you may think of how you relate to a dog or even a baby human. They only understand the "Moment" and how you react to it. Taking some kind of disciplinary action a minute later will not be linked to that moment of incorrect behavior.

If you are married or their are other people in your home. The other members need to be aware that the baby chick is gone and it has also latched on to the "Favored" person. The favored can pet, scratch, cuddle and do many things with the Grey. Others may have had this privilege previously, but are now starting to get bitten and they grey is not wanting to spend as much time with them. This is normal and their is nothing the less favored person can do about it.

The important thing to do, is remain consistent in mannerisms, helping feed, water, clean etc. as a joint member of the Flock. Remember, Greys pick one mate and it is for life. The others in the flock are just part of the community and not on the same personal as the mate.

The good news, is they are not finding a mate at this point in life and may very well choose a different person in the later years of maturing. They have simply decided on a "Favored" person and that may or may not change as years go by.

Years

1 to 2 - Eyes iris is now fully silver. They have grown in agility, speed and confidence. They also now have their own will showing through more (even stubbornness) and using their beak to let you know it. Be prepared for the heaviest molting at times during this year as the Tail, Secondary, Primary and most medium sized feathers all start coming out. If your Grey was clipped from the breeder. They will now probably be starting to gain flight capabilities as those clipped feathers molt out. By the time they are 2, they will be fully flighted.

They will get attitudes at times of anger, jealousy etc. that you have not observed before with such intensity, as they are developing their own individuality and personality.

They will have their favorite spots to perch on T stands, top of cage etc. and may become very possessive of that area. You should respect it to certain degrees, but if it's time to move them, do so.

They must learn that you are always consistent in your actions, words, tone and facial expressions. They will soon know when it's not a request and is not negotiable. However. it is your responsibility to learn and know their body language so you are prepared for the reaction and attitude they are showing you through feathers possibly fluffed, eyes pinning or head down. If they truly are going to comply with out a struggle, most will lift one foot to step up if you have trained them carefully during the younger years.

They have mastered a plethora of whistles, sounds and some words and phrases, along with a good concept of what they mean if you have carefully used words in association with things and actions. They are a hoot though and will have you laughing and shocked with what they may come out with verbally... be careful of what you say around them.

2 to 3 - OH BOY, the terrible two's! The eyes are now a pale straw colored yellow.. They are gloriously colored with that solid red tail now. They are SOMEBODY! Watch them strut! They no longer require much cuddle or scratch time with you except in the evenings once they are tired and every one is winding down.

Be prepared for a Grey you can not keep an eye off of for even 1 second. They are into everything! Every thing is MINE-MINE-MINE!! If it's mine, it's mine, if it's yours its mine, if its guests it's mine, if it's the dogs its mine and on and on. They will not listen many times and will bite the crap out of you if they decide they do not want to step up. They will also bite more often when playing and even for no apparent reason at all. They are truly testing the boundaries of what they can get away with and you better be consistent (Which hopefully you have been all the way to this point).

Yes, you will have to put them back on that stand 20 times in an hour. Yes, you will be putting them in their cage for time-outs many times a day for giving you a good bite. Yes, they just tore your purse, cellphone, keyboard or anything else they could get to into pieces of useless garbage...BIG FUN!!

They may start showing more attention to someone else in the household other than the "Favorite". This is not a consistent tendency that can be claim as the "Rule" as some suggest. But, be aware it can start happening.

3 to 4 - Their eyes are now a light straw yellow. Ok, they are settling down now and getting with the "Flock" plan of proper etiquette, rules and understanding that life is some give and some take. Atleast hopefully they are. This truly depends on how you have interacted with them in the previous years.

They tested their boundaries and you tested theirs. They are becoming a mature flock member (in their own eyes) and have become more of a functioning member that understands that we all have likes, dislikes, off limit places and items and we respect each others "Space" when appropriate.

They will still bite the crap out of you if you invade their space at the wrong time or try to take something that is clearly theirs. They are getting close to starting to reach sexual maturity in this 4th year and you need to watch for and be careful of sexual behavior. It is a strong driving force and you just need to leave them alone. If they start acting out on it by dropping their wings, moving around and perhaps making a few strange noises, leave them alone, do not touch them further and just let them cool off.

Note: They can start a sexual behavior such as this at much younger ages, but now the hormones are truly kicking in as they approach sexual maturity which normally is 5 Years old!<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/10/23 19:53

• Sad 1

Thank you Dan great post :) Karma to you! Sounds like if I get my little one year old grey that I may be getting bitten alot lol I hope he doesn't turn on me in a few yrs and pick a new favorite lol<br><br>Post edited by: Summerc25, at: 2009/03/28 01:33

I just re-read this and am impressed all over again. Thanks again, Dan! Interestingly, Jenna actually became MORE cuddly and affectionate after she reached a year old. I am definitely enjoying that, although trying to be careful about not over-cuddling, as my vet says it isn't a great idea and can create behavior problems later in life. It is lots of fun to see how she grows and develops :-)

This is a really imformative thread to read by Dan if you missed it when first posted.

It explains in detail what we can expect when our babies develop and grow, from physical changes to their personalities as well.

Karma to you Dan:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They are not nearly as bad as a zon. :-) Although, I think zons have been given a bad rap due to many owners just not paying attention to what they are doing.

Some have Greys that have not bitten at all. It varies from Grey to Grey, but for the most part, if you pay attention to your Greys body language and respect their preferences, you'll do great.

I created some of my birds biting me problems myself by including my hands in the toy play game and he came to think everything in the strike vicinity was fair game. It took me a while to correct that behavior. He does not bite my wife at all when she plays with him. So I know it is me, not Dayo.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Dan, I also missed this the first time around. The consistency is key. Reading all that others have written will hopefully spare some of us as we learn the unique personalities of our greys within the frame of general behaviour. Along with the joys we have some serious responsibilities and I appreciate knowing someone is here that can help us unravel the mysteries of our lives with these magnificent birds.

• 3 months later...

that was so interesting,i had heard this change takes place and when we got frosty i asked the pet shop owner about it and he said it doesnt happen,i am now well aware it does,i want to keep my cuddly baby forever,lol