NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HUMIDITY--IMPORTANT TO YOUR GREY"S HEALTH

danmcq

Well here is one humidifier I am happy with after returning two. I read online this one had the best reviews that I saw.

photo-67.jpg

I still need to get at least one more, I might try a different brand from Lowes, or just get the same since I am so happy with it... I got this one from Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% coupon.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
... I bought have the ability to not only take just plain water but they also have a feature that allows a person to put a liquid VICKS concentrate in the water. That would mainly be used for a person who needs a humid breathing appiance when they're sleeping. It's not for birds but I just thought I'd mention it. I use humidifiers in my breeding room downstairs all the time. The other birds also benefit from plain humifiers. . Lots of people use that Vicks concentrate for their kids.

Can someone please explain to me what is a liquid VICKS concentrate and what is it used for?

Also, I see the huge importance of humidity and humidifiers in our birdies lives but from all these posts I do not know, anymore, which would be the best choice for my bird-(?) Did I get this right?-there are ultrasonic, ones that use vaporizer steam, ones that produce cool mist,...? Plain and simple, which features must one have not to allow bacteria and other crap to spread while working? Sorry for the vocabulary

Vicks concentrate is a fluid that's put into room humidifiers in order for the room's smell penetrates and assists people who are having temporary breathing problems--stuffy nose usually from a head cold. It's often used in babie's rooms to help temporary sinus and breathing problems. Vicks concentrate works on the same principal as a hand held inhaler which is put in the nose to clear out sinuses and open air passage ways. Basically, the room is very dry and needs humidity.

The concentrate can't be used in bird's rooms. Only the water in the humidifier is used. So basically, the concentrate is used for humans, not birds.

The basic use for the humidifiers in bird's room is just that---provide and increase humidity in the room. many people use it in very dry areas. In my opinion, the best ones to get are the ones sold in pharmacies for human use. They come in different sizes but all are relatively inexpensive. There's pictures in this thread of different models. No humidifier cleans crap and bacteria. Ultrasonic humidifiers won't clean up any areas. They aren't used for cleaning purposes. The big difference is the price. Humidifiers that are used for bird's rooms are relatively inexpensive.--$39 to $59 in pharamacies

First picture is machine closed. Second picture is the machine open.--This one is $39

DSCN0090-1.jpg

DSCN0091-1.jpg

Edited by Dave007

Tnx:-)

I asked about bacteria and "crap" because I thought I read somewhere that some humidifiers have an option-to add some pharmaceutical product which can be put into water in order to kill bacterias...? Is this true and is it safe for our and our birdies health?

I'll say it again--humidifiers are made for 1 thing--provide humidity in an area. If a person wants or is thinking about creating a sterile area for their bird, it isn't gonna happen. The dander/dust that greys give off have a large amount of bacteria, none of which is harmful to that bird.

Concerning mold, the one thing that all mold needs in order to start and continue to exist is dampness- Humidifiers won't kill off mold. Mold is cleaned off by the person and if a person can't keep up with the mold, it's gonna keep on growing. Pharmaceutical products that are mixed into the air aren't good for birds nor are there products made for birds that advocate doing this. What can be done to an item in order for people to benefit from it doesn't mean that it will benefit birds. The major things that's important in a bird's area are

1---keeping up with the cleaning off of the dust on cages, tables, shelves etc

2---providing the type of air that's necessary for a particular species. Some need very dry air, others need very humid air, others can handle any type of air.

3---exhausting( pulling) the floating air in a room that always stays in the air and floats around. That air can't be seen. All homes have it, all rooms have it.

If aa person wants to get an ultra sonic, do it. If a person wants to get a non ultrasonic, do it.

The main thing a humidifier will do in a bird area is to change the texture and density of the air.

Edited by Dave007

• 3 weeks later...

Tarm, you are very correct.... DO NOT BUY A COLD MIST HUMIDIFIER .... PERIOD! Cold mist humidifiers build up bacteria and mold that will be sprayed into the air to infect you and your Grey! Only buy the hot mist humidifier that basically uses metal anodes to boil the water to produce steam and will kill bacteria or mold when it makes the steam. I'm glad to see this thread as it's very important during this cold Winter to get the humidity up in the room where your birds live. While seeing some Greys on YouTube, I noticed one very talented Grey who had lost so many feathers that it look rather pitiful. I also noticed during this Winter season that my Grey along with other Cockatiels in my Sunroom were starting to agressively pick and preen and were getting very dusty. So, I borrowed a 1.5 gallon hot mist humidifier for my Sunroom and fill it once in the morning and once at night to keep the steam pumping. It wasn't long before the dust subsided and the birds went back to normal preening routines. Don't forget to add a little salt to the water to get that steam pumping out in a good quantity.

• 1 month later...

I purchased a hot vaporisor from CVS and it has made all the dif in the world to my bird. It only cost $15.00 and I fill it about 3 times a day. It kills 96% of all molds and bacteria because of the heat.

• 3 months later...

Is this the same with Timneh and Congos?

Also, I live on an island that's warm enough for it not to snow in winters, however there's usually a bit of wind to keep it slightly cool and it rains now and then. The island is pretty close to South America. Will I have problems with humidity?

Also, I'm thinking of putting a small bowl with shallow water in my TAG's cage for half of the day - while I'm gone. However, then I won't know if he has bathed or not. If my maid says she has seen him bath, I'll leave him, if he hasn't I'll spray him. Or should I just spray him every day when I come home anyway? Also, can I put normal water from the sink in a water bottle to spray him? Or is this bad for him? The water from our sink is drinkable and it's where we get all our drinkwater from ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Dan, I really like your advice. :) Is your humidifier warm or cold? And do you use it 24h, every day, all year? Or only in winter?

I didn't find the one you bought here in the UK. So found some other options. Can you tell me if you think they're ok?

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Humidifier&cid=11295963062156054960&os=sellers

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Humidifier&cid=7707590250571463201&os=sellers

Thanks.

Dan isn't here right now to answer your question so I;ll give my opinion--

Both are ok but if it's humidity that you want,

The first link is the best

The cleaning element in the second one, even though it works doesn't have the ability to clean out a bird room that has parrots who are giving off dander. The first one is just like the ones I mentioned a long time ago in this thread.

They can be gotten from well known pharmacies and they're inexpensive.

I use it all the time--24/7

Ah that's brilliant. I did look up for humidity based on the advices given here. I dont want my Grey to suffer with dryness, itchiness, etc. So thanks. :)

Should I choose warm as in the link? Which one do you use?

I use plain room temperature water. You can buy the warm version if you want. They also sell the same type of thing that doesn't need a temperature setting. Below is one that I use. It's the same type in your link.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/DSCN0090.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/DSCN0091.jpg

That's cool. Same brand I found, Vicks. I'd prefer room temperature too.

Can't find the same one you have. Maybe they changed design? Do you know the name/model? Here are the ones they got at the moment:

http://www.vicks.com/humidifiers-lineup/

The one here is about 6 yrs old. I have 3 of them. I use one in 1 bird area and 1 in another bird area. The third one is in my closet. Vicks plus other companies make the item. They all look alike and basically, they're all do the same thing. As far as design, every year the companie's designs change but the mechanics and functions remain the same. Just make sure that the one you get has a 1 gallon well for the water. You can buy a buyer version ( bigger well) but they're more expensive and usually, 1 gallon of water lasts a long time because these machines all have strength settings.

Nice. How often roughly do you need to fill up 1 gallon? 12h-24h would be ideal for me. Are these humidifiers too noisy?

Basically, you refill it when it's almost empty. As far as how long it'll run on 1 gallon, well that depends on what setting it's on, how long you run it etc etc. 1 gallon will give approx 10 to 13 hrs but that varies. It's how you use it. It's no big deal.

My only doubt now is because I can only find cool or warm. And I'm worried the warm one will warm up the room too much in summer, for example. :confused:

Well, it won't warm up the room too much. Remember, they're used for babies too. BUT, since you're very worried, go with the warm machine because african greys live in humid warm areas in the wild and the birds can't be hurt by it. If I'm not mistaken, all of those machines have a setting to shut off the cool or warm feature leaving it to run at room temperature.

You can also look at other pharmacies or department stores for different models. BUT, you've got to collect your thoughts and relax a bit. Have some tea. Add a crumpet to that. See what the king and queen are up to. Check out the new princess and her new fashion designs. My dear, live life to the fullest.

haha Charming! :P I'm relaxed. I had parrots before in my original country, Brazil. Didn't need any of these things there. So I'm just trying to clarify my doubts. That's what this forum is about, isn't it? Thanks.

Of course that's what the forum is about. I was just joking with you. Trying to make you feel more relaxed. Sorry if I offended you.

• 1 month later...

I am having major allergies and asthma and was told I need to buy a humidifier. I figure I need one for my birds, also. I read the thread and it doesn't sound like anyone is concerned about PTFE or had any problems with it. Are we to assume they are all safe?

I'm also looking for a HEPA filter for my bedroom and have emailed a company to see if the filter has any PTFE's and they seem rather confused by my question.