NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Savaged.

Maviarab

As the nurse put it...thats what happened to my mum yesterday.

Over the last few weeks that I've had Ash, he has adjusted well imo, has now gotten used to my mother and will happily spend time with her.

With this in mind, my usual Boxing Day trip to see family (some 250 miles away) went ahead, with my mum confident she would be able to cope with him.

Well, apparently all went swimmingly up to her needing to put him back in his cage. She got him out ok in morning, helped make breakfast, ate his food on top og his cage, came down afterwards for a play on the floor, then came into office to play on his stand while mum worked on pc (all pretty usual routine that I do with him).

When she needed to put him back, he played up, flying about etc etc (does with me occasionally), then he went upstairs so after him mum went. He stepped up off floor for her and she began to come back downstairs with him on her hand. She sensed that he was about to fly off again so placed her other hand on his back (which is what I do) and he apparently went beserk on her.

When I got back last night, she had been taken to A&E by a friend of ours, she has bandages on 2 of her fingers, a hole in her hand and a big hole in her shoulder. As the nurse said...savaged.

So, to my mind, I know he is ok with my mum now, but decided he just did not want to go back in his cage, and when she placed her hand on him he freaked. Only thing I can think off. Problem now is, mum is now slightly afraid of handling him again, and should I ever need to be out of the house for a long period of time, how can my mum get him back into his cage without further bloodshed?

Any help, advice, tips etc be greatly appreciated. And after that, Merry Christmas to everyone, sorry missed the previous posts, but been mad busy. Hope everyone had a great time :)

OMG!! That was an out right attack on your Mom.

The first question is, how does your Grey seem now when he sees her?

After an attack like that, your mother will undoubtedly be fearful and he will pick up on that immediately. Personally, if I was your Mother, the only way I would try to put him back in the Cage would be by toweling to ensure he did not have an opportunity to attack again.

The other option of course is for your Mother to sit and keep him company while he stays in the cage. Just do not let him out when it is your mother by herself.

He seemed fine with her this morning. He sat with me in front room after his breakfast, doing his usual thing. Wasnt fazed by her at all.

Forgot to mention. Despite the attack, she refused to let go of him and she did get him back. Once back from the hospital she spent most of the day in the front room and ignored him, and apparently he has never chatted so much. So yes, If I need to be out for a while, just leaving him in is an option I guess that we have discussed, but thought I would see what you good folks suggest.

So normally, going back in cage is never an issue, just didnt seem to want to yesterday for my mum...so its that side that needs addressing really... :(

Your Mother is a trooper, due to accomplishing the mission before letting him get away with fleeing!!

Has your Mother put him back in the cage previously without incident?

Has she ever placed her hand on his back before, thus making him feel trapped possibly?

You could certainly work on this with having your Mother place him in his cage in a controlled environment so he expects to be placed in the cage by you or her. But, even that may not guarantee the same results everytime. You will need to carefully play this one by ear and see how he reacts to your mother trying to place him in his cage without placing her hand on his back.

Dan, no she hasn't really. I'm the only person who can touch him freely anywhere on him without repercussions.

And she has put him back before (with a bite for her trouble) but nothing like this time.

Putting him back is never simple anyway, I seem to have just gotten myself a technique where I don't give him much time to think about how to get away. And even I most times have to 'hold' him to put him back, though he doesn't bite me.<br><br>Post edited by: Maviarab, at: 2008/12/27 16:50

I think that just because Ash allowed you to put your hand on his back to get him back into the cage doesn't mean that your mum could do the same thing. Greys allow different actions from different people but that doesn't mean that he dislikes her any, he just didn't want her putting her hand on his back.

But I have to give her credit where credit is due, she still accomplished the feat of getting him back into his cage even though he was ripping her apart, she is a brave woman and should not take offense to Ash, he was just doing what comes natural for him.

Maybe he just needs more time to come to allow her to put him back into his cage or maybe he will just have to stay in his cage when she is taking care of him while you are gone.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future so please keep us informed.

Thanks Judy, mum has been warmed by your comments.

And yes, I tend to agree that he was just being obstinate and her touching him was the final straw that sent him into the frenzy. I've said this to her and she seems to agree that as you say, it was just his natural defense, just a pity it was my mum (who has easily broken skin) who copped for it.

So yes, he does get on with her more now that at first, and will happily spend time with her (especially when she has food lol) so I'm sure it was just a bad combination of actions. She not annoyed with him that way, but obviously the doubt is now back in her mind.

Will certainly keep you updated as to how they progress, think my next set of lessons will concentrate now on commands to return to his cage on his own? If we can master that then that might be the best long term solution, pity thats a long term goal.

Hi,

Koodos to your mum and her bravery.

However - a couple of quick comments: my understanding of parrots is that they generally understand placing one's hand on their backs as being an act of agression, or at the very least undesirable.

I can handle Bella every which way, flip her upside down, blow rasberries on her belly and back etc.. But, when she's perched somewhere, either on my hand, or elsewhere, and I were to then put my hand on her back, she freaks out.

Ash may allow you to do this, but he may be drawing the line with your mum.

It might be less painful to stop him from flying off by gently clamping his toes with your thumb when he's on your hand.

The second thing I've found helpful for caregivers who run the risk of getting bitten by feathered kids is getting them to step up on a perch stick. Both Bella and Jiggy were taught to do this. They hate that stick, so when a caregiver reaches for it, they generally give up the cage resistant fight and fly in on their own. But when Bella decides to play peak-a-boo with a sitter, that has been most helpful to get her to step up on the stick :)

Thanks Nychsa,

Stepping up is never an issue with anyone (so far), the problem really is him not wanting to go back. So even if on a perch, he would just fly away as soon as he was near his cage, so yeah maybe no bites, but still out lol :)

We have decided as well as trying to get him to go back by command, we are going to work on slowly and gradually getting him used to being touched by my mum so that hopefully should I need to be gone for a long period of time, at least he will be used to having her hands on him.

Need her to get healed first though, biggest problem is mum has very thin skin and cuts/bruises just by thinking about it, least with me i can take a hammering if he's in the mood etc, mum cant do that. But we have ideas and will let you know our progress :)

She is a brave woman and I hope she can come to have a good relationship with Ash.

Terri you have some good ideas too about the stepping up on a stick but that won't help with getting Ash back into the cage but putting your fingers over his talons might.

You are so lucky that you can touch Bella pretty much anywhere and get away with it but you are right about the hand over their back, they don't like that at all and neither does Josey.

Oh your poor Mum. I am not surprised if she is a little hesitant with Ash. I would consider ,for now leaving him in the cage if you are out. Two years ago I went on holiday and left my Dad in charge of Charlie. I could forsee my Dad having problems with his so for a few months before I went I trained charlie to go in his cage on command. I must admit it was made easier as I was minding another grey who already did this and Charlie soon picked it up. I used a treat and said in the cage while coaxing him to a perch with the treat. Could this be an option for you? Karma to your Mum for being so brave. Charlie does not like me placing my hand over his back, I think he feels threateded and I suspect Ash may be the same.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2008/12/28 21:42

Maviarab:

I went through a rough patch with my, at the time 2 1/2 year old grey Talon. She REFUSED to go in her cage by me. I had never had any problems with her before this. Then just one day, I accidently thought she was my other grey as I was busy talking on the phone, and tried to put her in the wrong cage. :ohmy: She was quite upset, since that one day, she decided I was not allowed to put her in her play cage when I had to leave any more. She would let my daughter put her in, but NOT ME! I was allowed to put her in her sleep cage to bed, but when it came time to put her in her play cage by me, she would fly all over the hose to escape it if I was trying to get her in there. We had quite the fights.....:pinch: I would chase her around the house, it would take me about 30-45 minutes before I would finally corner her, towel her and get her in her cage. Most of my house is very open, so I would have to close what doors I could, and then thumbtack sheets up to block her access to getting out of the room. Then I would have to wait until she lands, try to quickly towel her, and usually get bitten when I did manage to get her in her cage. This lasted about one month, then finally she settled down, and went back to her old ways in happily allowing me to put her in her cage. I ALWAYS have praised her and given her a reward when she does go in her cage.

So, don't give up hope, sometimes they just get stubborn. You will over come this.....:dry:

Thanks folks.

Interesting to know about the back, actually never knew that, and he never bothers with me touching him there...weird eh?

And command word to return is something I'm now working on amongst other things once mum better...if all fails will probably keep him in his cage if I'm out for a while, probably the lesser of the evils in terms of his stress...will see how it goes :)

Thanks again for all your comments.

Your poor mom- I really feel for her. A bird bite is a painful experience and it sounds like Ash really gave it to her good. The fact that she is still willing to interact with him is so wonderful- she must be a very good woman!

Ash was not ready for his playtime to end and thought he'd get the upper hand with your mother- I'm glad she got him in the cage in the end.

I think leaving him in the cage is probably the best option for your mother's sake- unless he can just remain out under her watch until you return home. If you could train him to return with a command, that would be great. Also, sometimes bribery with a favorite treat will work wonders with a bird. Or, I sometimes will distract mine by letting him look at or touch something he really likes while I quickly whisk him back inside the cage. Distracting/bribes...whatever it takes. These are intelligent creatures and we humans have to stay a step ahead of them!! I hope your mom feels better fast!

I suggest for the meantime he gets his favourite treat from your mom ONLY..and then only when he steps up for her...she should keep hold of the treat for a few seconds and then put him down where he was and give it to him...work on this as you move closer and closer to the cage in stages...it should take a week or maybe two of repetition to work it enough to have enough time to get him to the cage..once she has it so he will remain on her hand until he gets to the cage and be placed on the perch before he gets the treat...practice this for a few more days...then she should have less issue with him once you are out...maybe test it one afternoon when you are at the store but not out of town...and see how it goes...My husband is ALLOWED to take Tiki back to his cage but only if he has a treat in his hand that Tiki saw as he stepped up...it does take a while but it's worth it...I never have to chase my bird all over the house to get him back in his cage...but mines an amazon...the new CAG lol she looks like she may be a little more difficult to convince as I have already had to towel her once when the door bell rang and she wouldn't get back in...Thank God for pine nuts lol