NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

SAFE AND NATURAL CLEANING SOLUTIONS

Carolyn

Ok going to try this again;)

Safe Cleaning

Most parrot owners are well aware of the common hazards that endanger our parrots, such as overheated Teflon, forbidden foods, poisonous plants, toxic metals and others. There are many lists of poisonous plants and many articles about the various hazards to be avoided.

One other means of frequent exposure to toxins that have not been covered extensively is cleaning.

Here are some suggestions for safe alternatives to chemical solutions that normally are used to clean the home.

NATURAL CLEANING SOLUTIONS

Add 20 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract to a 32 oz. spray bottle filled with water. Use on all surfaces around the house and to clean sprouts, fruit and vegetables before being feeding to a parrot.

Baking soda with water is a good all-purpose cleaner (1/4 cup baking soda to 1 quart water)

Sprinkle baking soda on surfaces to be cleaned or make a paste with baking soda and liquid soap. Scrub with a damp nylon scrubbing pad, soft cloth, sponge or very fine steel wool. White distilled vinegar diluted in water removes baking soda residue. Dry with a soft cotton cloth. Recycled cotton serves as a good cleaning and drying cloth.

CITRA-SOL natural cleaner and degreaser is a concentrated solvent made of citrus oils, surfactants, and limonene (from citrus peel oil) that safely cleans chewing gum, ink, oil, grease, tar, gummed labels and even sticky fly paper "goo". It is the oly safe solvent for use on bird feathers, but it should be removed after it does its work. Using a thumb and first finger, rub a few drops of the Citra-solv thoroughly into the sticky goo or grease on the feathers. Remove it with a washcloth. Then rub Dawn liquid detergent into the feathers. It is crucial NOT to add water until straight detergent has been worked into the feathers. ONLY after you have throughly worked the detergent into the feathers should you add warm water. This applies to cleaning grease from feathers. If you cannot locate a source of Citra-solve, call the distributor at (800) 343-6588 from 9-5 EST.

Carpet Care

Products like "Carpet Fresh" have been linked to bird deaths. Ther is no safe way to use it as every time you vacume the carpet, leftover particles will become airborne.

For odors, sprinkle carpet with plain baking soda, Let stand 15 min. and then vacume.

Carpet shampoos may contain toxic ingredients such as ammonia and perchlorethylene, a known carcinogen. Plant based cleaning products such as citrus cleaners are preferable. Use a steam cleaning machine with 10 - 15 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract per gallon of water. Many hospitals now use GSE for carpet cleaning.

Non-Toxic Window Cleaners

Recipe for window & glass cleaner : 1 gallon water, 1 cup white vinegar. Apply with cloth or spray bottle and clean with a linen cloth.

For extra sparkle, polish clean windows with a crumpled piece of newspaper when nearly dry.

Natural Air Freashners

The use of commercial air fresheners and candles is dangerous to parrots.

The oly way to really freshen the air is to open windows and ciculate fresh air with a fan or air conditioner.

Set out a dish of cut lemons or baking soda to absorb orders.

Simmer on the stovetop or in a slow cooker for holiday season - water, slices of ginger, spices such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice, vanilla and almond extracts and lemon and other fruit slices to make your house smell fresh.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/10/29 22:05

Thank you I am glad you are enjoying these tips, sorry this is taking so long to complete BUT I am running a copy by my Vet before I post;)

Wood Furniture Care

To remove water stains on wood furniture, dab white toothpaste onto stain. Allow the paste to dry and then gently buff off with a soft cloth.

Furniture polish can be made by mixing 2 parts olive oil with 1 part lemon juice. Apply the mixture to furniture with a soft cloth and wipe it dry.

Nicks and scratches can be covered by mixing granular instant coffee with a little water and applying with a clean, cotton cloth.

Use your hair dryer on the cool setting to dust pleated lamp shades and other hard to reach areas.

Safe Drain Cleaner

When drains are clogged by hair or debris, make a solution of equal parts of baking soda, vinegar and salt. Place in the drian and let it foam for 15-20 minutes. Then rinse with pouring boiling water down the drain.

In the Kitchen

Ovens - For lightly soiled ovens, make a thick paste of water and baking soda. Scrub with a nylon scrubbing pad. In a oven that is greasy, add a small amount of liquid soap. To remove spots, use very fine steel wool.

To clean underneath the refridgerator, tie a sock around the end of a yardstick, when one side is dirty, turn the sock inside out and repeat.

For the bathroom

Lime deposit remover, spray a solution of 1 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons salt and 1 cup water - spray on all lime deposits and let stand overnight - rinse with cold water.

Mildew remover : Spray mildew with hydrogen peroxide

To disinfect bathroom serfaces spray with a solution of 1 quart water and 20 drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract from health food stores.

Floor care

For vinyl floors, damp mop with a solution of a gallon of warm water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar.

To cut grease on vinyl floors, dilute a small amount of liquid soap with the water.

To remove black heel marks on floor, rub with a pencil or typewriter eraser.

To prevent water spots, dry with a cloth after mopping.

Well guess thats all for now, I have some other tips but need to wait till I receive them back from the vet.

Happy and safe cleaning:laugh:

Carolyn & Mika<br><br>Post edited by: Carolyn, at: 2008/10/29 19:30

• 4 weeks later...

Great Post, we did alot of research on this matter when we first got our feathered friends, and here you summarize it in a handy stick on your fridge for quick reference size.

I think that if people realized how well baking soda and water works for cleaning the other cleaning products sales would drop dramatically. Not only is it cheaper but we have found that it does a better job then the "actual cleaning products":woohoo:

• 4 months later...

The one thing I have found really useful for floors is my steam mop. They are not expensive in UK and I can clean my tiled floors, woods and laminates with nothing but water. It is also fantastic to get poops off the floor.

• 4 weeks later...

For one thing, water doesn't kill any germs that accompany feces. It's like washing your hands with water as opposed to soap. After the water, your hands look clean but what's better,hands washed with water or washed with soap?

A common item that's used is a vinegar/water solution that does a complete job. Grapefruit extract is also a good product except that it costs much more than vinegar.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone used or heard of "naturals" by simple green? I have been trying to find something to clean my bathroom with that wouldn't hurt the birds and came across their line, but haven't bought any since I didn't know how safe it was. It is supposed to be made for "100% naturally sourced ingredients." Any advice? Until then, I'm still using water, vinegar and baking soda.

What I don't understand is why you're so worried about is what you use to clean out a bathroom? Does your bird hang out in the bathroom? All you should do is use a cleaner in the bathroom that kills germs and other bad things and close the door. Any smell dissapates. PLUS, keep your bird out of the bathroom until the smell goes away. If your bathroom has an exhaust fan, put it on and the smell goes away even faster.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for these helpful tips! I have slowly been whittling down my 'regular' cleaners if favor of natural, non-toxic ones for the health of my family but it's tough because the safe ones are sometimes TRIPLE the cost of the old standards. I know, I know...it's important, but it's not easy when you aren't a millionaire, ha ha. Maybe I don't need to bother with the fancy, naturally scented cleaners after all--your hints really opened my eyes!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What do I do about wood floors ? My bird is on wood floors and I am not sure if murphys oil soap will hurt or the pledge out of the squeeze bottle ? I have not used anything yet but I need to know what would be safe.

Thank You

Ellen

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What do I do about wood floors ? My bird is on wood floors and I am not sure if murphys oil soap will hurt or the pledge out of the squeeze bottle ? I have not used anything yet but I need to know what would be safe.

Thank You

Ellen

I use Murphys Oil Soap and have had no problems with it. I also use it fairly diluted (just a capful)in a big sink full of water. However, I have heard that in time, it does ruin the floor.

Other people have used just plain old mixture of vinegar and warm water.

Edited by KimmieB