NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

SAFE AND NATURAL CLEANING SOLUTIONS

Carolyn

wow this was really great and very helpful .... with the air fresheners .... I get that aersols are bad and I even get the carpet stuff, my question is if the candle/parafin wax is bad or the flickering smoke from the wick, what if you warm up liquid scented oil? I dont burn candles (persay) but I have scentsy warmers that melt scented wax to a liquid and put a scent in my house is that the same dangers?

• 2 weeks later...

I use Murphy's soap as well. They seem fine. Have used it for well over ten years.Birdroom is hardwood floors. When I had them refinished, of course moved birds into another room, but had several layers of poluretane applied. Knew I would lose layers of protection. I put a 12by 12 layer of painters plastic, under their cage. There are always " spots" of bird poop to clean. Warm water... soaked into those areas cleans it quick and easy, but I know the finish suffers. Nancy

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Are essential oils safe to use/diffuse around birds? I've been making homemade cleaning products for a few years now and they're usually mixtures of vodka, white vinegar, alcohol, baking soda, borax, washing soda, castile soaps, and essential oils. I still use regular dish soap and I use bleach but usually only for laundry.

Some of the purists say no to essential oils. But I haven't had any problems so far. But, I have allergies & I don't know if my sensitivities just happen to work well w/the birds'.

The bleach wouldn't be good to use where the fids can breath it. And you really don't need much of anything except vinegar for cages. I've used OxiClean & I have a bottle of "Poop Off" for bad stains on the rug. But mostly I use my steam cleaner on anything the vinegar doesn't get & that's it.

Are essential oils safe to use/diffuse around birds? I've been making homemade cleaning products for a few years now and they're usually mixtures of vodka, white vinegar, alcohol, baking soda, borax, washing soda, castile soaps, and essential oils. I still use regular dish soap and I use bleach but usually only for laundry.

I've read that they shouldn't be used but would need to read again why. Most scented toxins such as candles, wax warmers, etc. won't have an immediate effect on birds which is why most say "I haven't had any problems" but that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any or won't be when used longterm.

I've read that they shouldn't be used but would need to read again why. Most scented toxins such as candles, wax warmers, etc. won't have an immediate effect on birds which is why most say "I haven't had any problems" but that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any or won't be when used longterm.

[vv "relevant" human info vv]

http://www.popsugar.com/home/Scented...Risks-39425267

And what humans can breath is very different from what fids can handle. People have said their fid(s) literally died from spraying air freshener in another room. And I do believe its possible. Birds have incredibly sensitive respiratory systems. So in general, I will always advocate a' better safe than sorry' policy for putting anything into the air unless you're sure of all the ingredients & their consequences.

jmho - w/essential oils there's been a kind of 'throwing the baby out w/the bathwater' thing, though.

I make essential oils. It basically entails pounding down on a bunch of leaves & steeping them in cold vodka for a very long time. The oil that separates out is mixed into a carrier oil. Usually safflower. Nothing that's harmful to a fid unless they have a particular reaction to a particular plant.

On a less homespun note there are also avian care professionals who advocate aroma therapy for fids. That would entail using essential oils, as well.

Edited by birdhouse

Just a reinforcement, the vinegar/water only for cage cleaning works much better than you would think! I have no real experience with essential oils so don't have anything to add there. I have removed all candles/tarts/etc. from Timber's vicinity. I will admit to still using them on the second floor and in the living room. That said, I live in a large, old house with very good ventilation. I try to follow a better safe than sorry policy also.

I planned on making this and using it for the cage. What do you guys think?

http://birds.about.com/od/birdcages/a/homemadecleaner.htm?utm_source=pinterest&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=shareurlbuttons

I stopped using scented candles and store bought cleaners several years ago, for the health of ourselves and our dogs. I do occasionally use vodka and essential oils as a room deodorizer, as well as a natural disinfectant. I've actually been wanting to boot the bleach for a while so this may be the time to do it :)

Just a reinforcement, the vinegar/water only for cage cleaning works much better than you would think! I have no real experience with essential oils so don't have anything to add there. I have removed all candles/tarts/etc. from Timber's vicinity. I will admit to still using them on the second floor and in the living room. That said, I live in a large, old house with very good ventilation. I try to follow a better safe than sorry policy also.

I actually just got the nasty, funky dog smell out of my living room after realizing it was in the couch by spraying it down good with water and vinegar. It dried quickly and now there is no odor.

[vv "relevant" human info vv]

http://www.popsugar.com/home/Scented...Risks-39425267

And what humans can breath is very different from what fids can handle. People have said their fid(s) literally died from spraying air freshener in another room. And I do believe its possible. Birds have incredibly sensitive respiratory systems. So in general, I will always advocate a' better safe than sorry' policy for putting anything into the air unless you're sure of all the ingredients & their consequences.

jmho - w/essential oils there's been a kind of 'throwing the baby out w/the bathwater' thing, though.

I make essential oils. It basically entails pounding down on a bunch of leaves & steeping them in cold vodka for a very long time. The oil that separates out is mixed into a carrier oil. Usually safflower. Nothing that's harmful to a fid unless they have a particular reaction to a particular plant.

On a less homespun note there are also avian care professionals who advocate aroma therapy for fids. That would entail using essential oils, as well.

I am going to research more as I do love different scents in my house.

Just read this:

Here are the benefits of some of the essential oils:

Ylang Ylang is relaxing. Eucalyptus aids with respiratory problems (Toxic to birds);

peppermint, rosemary and thyme are energizing,

lemon, tea tree oil* and cedarwood are purifying; ( Note to Bird Owners: *Tea Tree Essential has caused paralysis in birds when the dosage administered was too high. As safe doses have not been established, it's best not to use this essential oil around your birds. )

peppermint, rosemary and ginger clear your mind;

lemon helps you concentrate;

peppermint and spearmint helps with headaches.

Nutmeg, Patchouli (one of my favorites) and Ylang Ylang increase sensuality. (In addition to which, I love their smell)

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/birdproofingyourhome.html

I've used this before as well and was totally happy with the results!

I would also like to add that a great and effective carpet shampoo I recently found and used in a Kirby is completely bird-safe:

12 cups water

1 1/2 tablespoons Dawn dish soap

1/2 teaspoon rubbing alcohol

2 tablespoons white vinegar

I have a friend who's so allergic to tea tree oil the running "joke" is that she breaks out in leprosy if it even gets near her skin. Because of her, I know that it's in "everything" so to speak. So let's hope fids aren't as sensitive to its aroma as she is to its contact.