NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

when do congo african grey parrots start talking

steph

I have Alcazar ina really social area of my place.He is right beside me near my desk area and near everyone talking.He is probably talked to at least every 15 minutes. When he was 5 months he started the hello, he turned 1 in May and now he says: Hi,hello, how are you, good boy, you are a good boy, shh quiet, wanna kiss then makes kiss noise, peek-a-boo,I love you, he kisses alot, makes fire alarm noise (we have test often), sexy whistle noise, dog calling whistle, has my laugh. It's weird though I have said good night to him every night and he has yet picked up that word.Maybe it sounds to broing for him.

Thanks to some advice from Dave Alex is now back to his working on sounds in his song's. Hello is fairly clear but he only does it as part of his song. We have heard others that sound like he is saying his name. Today it sounded like he was working on I love you. So we will see. :)

mine is about 6mos oldandrecently started to say "whatcha doin".. I took him home with me to my parents for the weekend and he was inthekitchen with my mom and while she wascleaning uopthe trash one of the dogs gotinto he said" whatcha doin over there" we were so suprised since he is so young and where he got the over there part..but its really hard totell when they will talk its usually when decide that got something to say ;)

• 3 months later...

is it true that if an african grey begins to whistle he "gets stuck" on whislting and will never talk?? My baby Jasper is 4 months old and now and again wolf whistles (only because strangers have come in and whistled 1st) we now do not allow whistling as a way of communicating to our baby but we ask people to talk directly to him using eye contact. Of course Jasper whistles (mainly to himself) but is this ok or should we not discourage whistling? ty:)

Thats BS Terrie, my Josey does the wolf whistle and also talks. That was one of the first things she learned to do, thanks to my hubby and she started talking at about 1 year of age.

Your baby is only 4 months old she he has plenty of time to start talking so don't worry about him whistling first, enjoy it.

he is showing signs of understanding and if you say "hello jasper" in a silly way he tries to copy the tone of your voice which i think for a 4month old isquite good. We are just trying to master the art of poopies, we know when he needs to go as he backs up and shakes his tail feathers and then we say "poopies jasper" and place him in his cage he has done this a few times and done poopies in his cage so of course we praise him. but sometimes he gets carried away playing with dad that he just goes!! hes funny though

Whisper was trying to talk at 6 mo. At 8 months she could say a couple of things clearly. At nine months she could say about 6 different phrases. At one year old I have so far counted about 15 different phrases that she has said clearly.

She is now 13 months old as seems to be stuck on her favorite 4 or 5 phrases. I can not get her to repeat things I have heard her say in the past. Some things like "I love you" she has only said in my presence once.

By the way her eyes were yellow at 12 months.

• 1 month later...

My Rio Has just said his first clear hello today have been waiting a long time just for him to say something to me after sitting and talking to him everyday.Have to say I was like a new father after his new child spoke jumping up and down and telling everyone can now move on to other words in a couple of weeks

• 8 months later...

So then I guess it is safe to say anywhere between 6 months to a year. ? Houdini will be 6 months old on the 17th of October. he still just makes little chirps when I talk to him. Now when he plays all kinds of different noises come out here lately that I have never heard before. I think he gets excited and squawks and then adds different noises in the squawk.He has gotten alot bigger from when I first brought him home. He will give me kiss a peck on the cheek if I ask for it.but for now thats all he does. I do love him so much and when I get back to work I would love to get him a buddy.

Deborah

They start talking at different times. With the average being around 1 year of age. I have heard of some talking at 16 weeks old, which was with a group of "Mother" and "Father" greys in a flight daily that the young ones learned to communicate from.

They have their own natural whistles, growls and screams they make. They will pick up all types of sounds from devices in your home and they will also pick whistles you teach them.

He sounds like a wonderful Grey. I would love to see photos and videos of him. :-)

• 10 years later...

My Ziggy is now 1 year and 9 months old. I weaned him from a baby. He first said I love you at 3 months old. Then dirty bird and I love you in the next few months. He then went through a few rounds of antibiotic injections 4 pseudomonas, then ecoli. He stopped talking at that point which was about 6 months old. Does anyone think he'll ever talk again?

• Like 1

Ziggy has certainly gone through a LOT at such a tender young age.
I know that aspergillosis can negatively affect their ability to talk. Was he tested for asper the last time you had him into the vets?

It's difficult to say if he'll talk again. The fact that he once spoke makes me think that he will again one day.

• Like 1

Mine started at 11 months and she's 20 now. I really didn't teach her. She began saying things she heard. She mostly copied the sounds of things she heard like the telephone, and other appliances . The more time you interact with them and just have them near you the better they seem to talk. 

Edited by tikobird256
  • Like 1

I was lucky - I bought mine from his breeder who had had Snickers returned to her twice -- so he already knew a lot of words and phrases.  Plus he's learned a lot more with me.  And he can say things appropriate to situations.  He was considered unadoptable by the breeder due to behavioural/biting issues (due to poor previous homes) but I convinced her to let me have a trial period with him and found success.  I really wanted a known talker... had no idea he would bond so well with me and lose all of his undesirable behaviours she claimed he had.  

Snickers also does sound affects -- worst is the sound of my smoke alarm; plus he can do the sound of a truck backing up.  He repeats most household sounds (but not the phone - go figure).

He's also an excellent whistler.  Doesn't sing though.  

Edited by LNCAG
smoke alarm sounds = sounds they make when battery needs replacing
  • Like 1

Alfie loves whistling and loves to learn new noises... but he's not a particularly big talker. In fact, he's a bit of closet talker, preferring to practice when he thinks I'm not around or not listening. It doesn't bother me that he doesn't talk much. It always amazes when I do see videos of very talkative birds- particularly those that clearly show an understanding of what to say and when. I always knew that Alfie might not be a big talker when I got him. He says a few words but he picks and chooses what he wants to learn, and how often he wants to use it. He has neglected some words and phrases which he used to say and no amount of repeating it or encouraging it will make him use them again. He has always favoured whistles and noises (the louder and more obnoxious, the better!) and that's ok with me.

• Like 2

Snickers is always a talker, but I have noticed he talks (or whistles) a LOT more when I leave the room.  He needs me to answer back to him -- guess he just needs reassurance from his flock (me).  It comforts him to hear me reply back and know that all is well even when I'm out of view.  He also seems to know when I am out of the house, because I don't hear him calling as I return home.  So he appears to know when I am within range, I suppose. 

• Like 1

Timber also saves his speech for when I leave the room. He rarely says words when I'm with him, but will whistle and click. When I leave, he starts talking. There is a bathroom close to his cage. If I go in there and shut the door, we sometimes have a "conversation" through the door. The minute I'm back in the room, silence.

• Like 1