NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Associated risk's of Hand feeding.

lovemyGreys

Nope it's not,but I should have waited...My breeder keept telling me if you dont take her now and I weaned her she is going to forget you.

I'm sorry, maybe you should have done more research, were here to help everyone, I/we offer our help to you as well as any one who needs it, I fear because of the negative response to the thread, we've lost someone who really needs it...is there anything I can help you with? Jayd

Please don't be afraid to ask any question, anytime, no matter what the question, there's NO stupid or silly questions or stupid people, some has done it more then others.....you seem very level headed... Thank you....Jayd

it will be 4 weeks old on thursday im feeding it on the formula she gave me he has 30mls every 4 hours last feed at 11 pm then again at 7 am he has got some feathers on him just starting to come through i have made a make shift brooder in a fish tank with a heat mat what keeps him warm alll the time i didnt buy him i was given him is this the correct amount he should be on he is on kaytee hand rearing formula

Edited by Onyx's mum

Hi there please dont be cross i have sorted out the oother birds this little baby is all i have now i just lost my husband he died 4 weeks ago i was offered this baby by the lady that has given a forver home to steves birds i havent hand reared for ten years but would appreciate any and all advice on here by you all

I know its all against what i think but i just lost my husband and i think the lady thought it would help me get over the trauma and to a point it is please dont be cross i know what everyone thinks but i would sooner ge help and advice and take the rollocking later im sorry

it will be 4 weeks old on thursday im feeding it on the formula she gave me he has 30mls every 4 hours last feed at 11 pm then again at 7 am he has got some feathers on him just starting to come through i have made a make shift brooder in a fish tank with a heat mat what keeps him warm alll the time i didnt buy him i was given him is this the correct amount he should be on he is on kaytee hand rearing formula

That's grey't, sorry about your lost... Keep your baby warm, feel his crop after each feeding, it should be firm, not stiff... It should empty before breakfast [7am]. If he gives you any trouble about eating, add about a 1/4 teaspoon of organic peanut butter. A Grey requires more fat and protein then a lot of parrots, we use,:Kaytee Macaw formula, or Zupreem exact plus. Do you have a digital Scale? you should weigh your baby each morning.... Bless you....Were here, just ask....Jayd

Hiya Mowli's Mum,

I'm afraid I've never hand reared a bird - I've given intensive care to lots of animals at work though, and know how wearing and worrying it can be when lack of sleep and all that fretting gets to you. With everything else going on, I hope you get all the help and support you need to get you through the tough times.

Keep reading, keep asking. There are threads on caring for bubba's here. I don't have any call to read them I'm afraid, but the lovely Jayd has given sound advice and encouragement to others that I have noticed.

Best wishes to you on your baby raising mission. :)

Edited by Tweedle

• 2 years later...

I am inexperienced and in the process of making arrangments to bring home my first Congo African Grey baby. Before reading this information i was set to take home a 9 week old baby in May. This will not happen now!! I will not accept a young AG unless fully weaned. You probably saved my baby's life!! Thanks for posting this information!!

I am inexperienced and in the process of making arrangments to bring home my first Congo African Grey baby. Before reading this information i was set to take home a 9 week old baby in May. This will not happen now!! I will not accept a young AG unless fully weaned. You probably saved my baby's life!! Thanks for posting this information!!

Maggie here typing for Jayd: Thank you and bless you, a very smart and caring person Jayd

• 4 months later...

We got Django for almost a week now and he's doing great. However he's almost not eating by itself. The vet/ breeder where we bought him from told us to just give him Scenic handbreed pouridge. Four times a day about 50CC. Between meals we feel his crop and there's not really much food in there at all. How do we know when he's had enough of this? The vet/ breeder said he's one of the more hungry babies he's ever had (after every 50/ 55cc meal he keeps begging for more, but his crop is full enough). During the meals he eats some seeds, pellets and fruits. The vet is on his holiday now (also the reason we have Django now and not when he's been fully weaned - so he thought us how to make the stuff and how to feed him and that goes really well. They usually go to a shop of some sort.).

His schedule at the moment is 7am, 12am/pm, 5pm and 11pm. I'm thinking that spoonfeeding might be a better option since he's have to work for his food then?

How old is django?

10 weeks now. The vet (also breeder) said he was one of the hungriest/ latest weaning babies he's ever had. He does eat pellets, but only when they're soaking wet. Does manage to eat seeds and peeling them himself though. I was thinking of not giving him the pouradge in the morning. Or leave one of the other 2 feedings out. Yet he keeps begging even after he's had his food. The vet suspects he will be fully weaned in 2 or 3 weeks. Also read that babies will eventually stop taking the feedings themselves as well. With this guy I'm a bit afraid he will be lazy and won't stop taking it.

A 10 week old grey is no where near being weaned. They are not even ready to start fledging until around 12 weeks old to learn to fly. Offering seeds, pellets, cooked legume mixes like 5 bean mixes, fruits, veggies etc. for them to start tasting and learning textures is important and so is having a bowl of water for them to start drinking when they reach that point. You should drop to 3 feedings by dropping the latest, not the morning feeding. Some will stop taking the feedings at 16 to 20 weeks old, some will still want one or two a day even after they are fully weaned. There is nothing wrong with continuing to offer a morning or evening feeding for example. Our grey wanted a formula feeding in the morning until he was around 6 months old, but then started refusing it. Some will enjoy one their entire life although it's not needed, it is a great moment for both the grey and the human to share. :)

I'll talk about it with the family if we can drop the latest one. They dropped the one at 12 o'clock but he was so hungry and begging they gave him 50cc at 2.30pm. He does taste different things, also drinks (which is really cute when he does that :P). Thanks for your response!

• 2 weeks later...
10 weeks now. The vet (also breeder) said he was one of the hungriest/ latest weaning babies he's ever had. He does eat pellets, but only when they're soaking wet. Does manage to eat seeds and peeling them himself though. I was thinking of not giving him the pouradge in the morning. Or leave one of the other 2 feedings out. Yet he keeps begging even after he's had his food. The vet suspects he will be fully weaned in 2 or 3 weeks. Also read that babies will eventually stop taking the feedings themselves as well. With this guy I'm a bit afraid he will be lazy and won't stop taking it.

Instead of trying to figure out amounts of food, amounts of feedings, deciding on when your bird should normally start giving up formulas, why don't you take up the habit of feeding the bird all it wants at each feeding until he/she refuses to take more. That means the bird will spit up or refuse a feeding or amount of formula in a feeding. One feeding or amount of feeding can be lessened when this happens. it's called abundance feeding and as far as I'm concerned, that's the only true way to wean any bird. There is no specific time that weaning occurs. All birds are different and are individuals.