NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Handfeeding a Baby Grey.

lovemyGreys

At 5 weeks old I would have thought your baby would need 4 feedings a day.

This is only a guideline, but going by the feeding chart I would have said 20cc-30cc x 4 feeds a day.

We have some of our members on here who have been handfeeding their babies, I am sure they will give some great advice.

If you read through this thread and also the birdfood room, it offers advice on introducing pellets and fruits and veggies etc, this can be done at approx 8 weeks of age but again each baby is different.

Please take the time to read through all the different threads.

I hope you enjoy the forum.

You should be using a different method of feeding a 5 wk old bird. It's called *abundance feeding*

First of all, go up to 4 feedings a day. When your bird finishes that 1 spoon of formula, immediately offer another spoon full. If your bird continues to eat that it's because it actually needs it. Birds don't overfeed themselves. Offer as much as the bird will take at one feeding. When the time comes for the next feeding repeat the process all over again. Eventually, the bird will refuse a certain amount or part of food which will tell you to decrease the amount used in that particular feeding. Do the same thing at each feeding. Eventually, the bird will refuse the whole feeding which will tell you to lessen that feeding schedule by one. Continue using that method until the bird eventually refuses the next formula feeding. Then lessen the feeding by one. Eventually, the bird will get down to only taking one feeding. That's the time to be adding other items to the diet that have nothing to do with formula. Those items should include some vegetables, some fruits, some parrot mix, some cereal and some pellets. Going by this whole method guarantees that your bird is getting all the formula and other foods it needs.

To sum it up----let the bird decide when it doesn't want a feeding. Don't make that judgment for the bird in case you've been reading about the exact times a bird's feeding should be decreased.

• 3 weeks later...

Lovemygreys

I have been reading so many of your posts. I am slowly working my way around here and I find your topics very interesting and helpful. Bringing home a baby I will sure need to refer back to them many times... move over Barbara H..lol Thanks so much for sharing!

Ann Marie

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info on feeding.

I have a question.

I have an 11 week grey congo. I have been hand feeding him since about 5 weeks, 3 x day. About 9-10 weeks I started hand feeding 2 x day, with dry pellets always in the cage, and various fresh foods alongside. Mornings grapes, pears and blueberries. Lunch time i put in a small bowl of cauliflower, chick peas, rice, left over whole wheat pasta or whatever else. I feed him last around 8PM with formula and add a few 'treats' in a bowl when I put him in his cage for the night. He now is constantly 'crying' for food mid-day, and sticking his head out of the cage. He occasionally munches on the pellets (I'm trying my second type, a little larger than the first) but doesn't seem to eat them to fill himself. I guess I spoiled him with 'real food'? After reading your message I have just moistened his pellets to see if he eats them more. He cries and fusses and drives everyone crazy. I just covered him with hopes he settles down and eats the pellets. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

I just weaned my baby, I fed him from 4 weeks...How is his weight? Is he loosing? Has he started flying yet? On the feedings you do give him, How much do you give him? My baby got 40 to 45 cc's 3 times a day, And he just started taking less and less at his lunch so I dropped it, Then the morning, Then finally the evening, He just got to the point where I couldnt force him to take it (which you should never do, force feed) He would only take about 10 cc's and then fly off, and spit it out, So I just quit giving it to him...So maybe just add that feeding back untill he stops taking it...Are you spoon or syringe feeding? You will know he doesnt want it cuz he will stop pumping the spoon or syringe...Or he will only do it for like 5 sec's and then stop like "no more!"

Hope that helped, Everyone here was so VERY helpful for me...So I know they will for you too :)

• 4 weeks later...

I loved hand-feeding...but it is a risk to take. Of course I was working in a pet store so I was fully trained, but it is scary sometimes. If you are hand-feeding take your time doing it, don't rush the bird to eat. I've been in so many situations with people rushing a bird to eat :ohmy: ...which resulted in emergency vet visits, infections and even death.

Keep a record sheet on the bird's weight and even work out a feeding chart, it sure helps out. You can then track it's growth and manage it's weight. :)

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

ok so i am really scared now about hand feeding. i was excited in learning. but i have been reading all day on the cons of hand feeding, and now im not so sure. the only thing is, is that my breeder does not wean the babies. he wants the owners to wean them so the babies can bond more. which i was so excited to learn to hand feed and he was going to teach me how and let me feed my baby when i went to visit. i know he is a great breeder (breeding since the 80's) and has even held seminars on breeding at the universities and out of state. i dont know what to do know. what to do? help!

Rudy just loves her formula she is now 5 and half months old and is still on 2 handfeedings one in the morning and one at night but she has slightly cut down to 15 ml in the morning from 20 to 25 ml she was takeing before as long as she wants it I'am going to keep giving it to her , she also eats fruits , veggies,pellets a nutriberry every other day and a few almonds or walnuts a day , she doesn't care for seed mix she just tosses it out and she is very healthy in fact she looks a little chubby, must be all that formula, she is weighing around 272 to 274 before she has her morning feeding and of coarse Pomagranites are in season now so she gets a Tablespoon of that every night :)

100_0275.jpg

jml0921 wrote:

he wants the owners to wean them so the babies can bond more. i dont know what to do know. what to do? help!

The only reason breeders sends a baby home unweaned, is due to laziness in not wanting to spend the addition 8 to 12 weeks feeding, socializing, weaning and fledging the babies. It is a lot of work and a big responsibility.

The theory that the baby bonds to you better is a false theory!

If the breeder will not provide the proper raising of a grey to ensure the purchaser receives a quality bird, I would find one that does.

Many states have now passed laws banning the sale of any unweaned bird.

Also, if the baby dies under you care in such a young and vulnerable state, you will lose your money. the breeder will just claim you killed it by doing something wrong.

What I am saying may be hard for you to swallow, but it's true. I am sure you can find many posts regarding this issue that state the same as I have just posted. :-)

I totally agree with Dan. I brought Harvey home at 12 weeks, fully weaned. I don't have the experience with greys and would not have liked to take on this responsibility at all.

My breeder never ever mentioned letting him home before weaning - and told me the soonest I could possibly have him would be 12 weeks - could be longer - he is the expert and he was able to devote the care and attention needed to ensure my baby was healthy.

And as for the "bonding" - I didn't wean Harvey and he is now sitting here, glued to the side of my face! If you have ANY reservations at all - please reconsider :)

thanks, this is all great advice. i was kinda uneasy anyway about handfeeding, althought i did really want to learn. i will just have to ask the breeder to wean for me. or i will try to find one somewhere else. i already had trouble finding a breeder here, and he was the only one i could find. there is a grey here now at a pet store near by that is from the same breeder but they are asking double what the breeder wants. thats just nuts.

it would be nice to bring home a baby and only have to worry about giving it lots of love and bonding with it vs focusing all my energy on making sure i am feeding it correctly and not trying to harm it.

so if he says no he wont wean for me then i guess it wasnt ment to be! ill have to start looking all over. but it is all for the best for the bird.

it is so nice to talk to experienced owners.

• 7 months later...

Thank you for this thread. :) I am hand feeding a 5 week old Baby grey. We were making a mess with the syringe, I had to make 45cc of food to get 25cc in the baby lol. I modified a spoon and the baby took to it perfectly. Now we only get a little dribble here and there :)

• 3 months later...
Hi there can you tell me what pellets you would reccomend ive used harrisons before or P19 fruity pellets i would like to get some ordered in before i need them for Onyx

Same as what you fed Mowgli, Oooh Pat, Solo and Harley should do it :0) if you have any left try him with them when he is ready to get him used to them

Hi the zupreem pellets and some more kaytee turned up today whats the best way to offer Onyx a few of the pellets should i crush them and moisten them i got the fruit bend

What size did you get? If there small just put them in the cage, try to see if he'll eat them dry first...Jayd P.S. They'll be a lot of waste lol

Edited by Jayd

Hi Jayd yes got lots more new pics will post for you..... regarding the pellets im such afool i didnt realise they did sizes and they have sent me medium sized some are fairly small but then there are some half moon shaped bits i do feel silly but learn something new all the time

• 11 months later...

I have a question on the feeding chart.......if I am reading this right.......at 5-10 wks feed the baby 3 to 7 times? Between 8a.m. and 10p.m.? If I am feeding him every four hours is that correct? About four times a day? When making the transition to the cage at 7 wks, do I still need to have some type of heater in there? Mine is now six weeks and doing well on formula, I have been adding a few tiny pieces of green beans and peas to his feeding. He doesn't seem interested in pecking at it himself yet, although he will peck at his toy hanging in his box.

Even though the chart is correct it isn't easy to understand so--this is the basics

Feeding starts at 5 to 6 x a day---time evenly spread

At approx age of 3 to 4 weeks, feedings go down to 4 x a day ( time evenly spread) if the bird refuses one of those feedings. The bird remains on whatever feeding it's taking in until the bird refuses another feeding. The feedings go down one more and the process continues ( time evenly spread). So forth and so on until the bird refuses the formula. Different birds take different amounts of time to reach that point. Time limits shouldn't be used as far as weaning.

The amounts of time between feedings must be accurate.

Edited by Dave007