NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Handfeeding a Baby Grey.

lovemyGreys

Guest danielsingh

Hi All,

Is there such a detailed feeding chart for MACAW Babies?

Can anyone here provide me with some pointers for feeding a 3 month old macaw baby.

thanks.

You would need to go to a macaw board for that type of info. On this board we try to discouirage people from buying unweaned greys and I'm gonna assume that people on a macaw boarde would do the same but if there is info, a macaw board is the place to go to. Reading the first post in this thread will tell you about how hand feeding a bird isn't something we approve of because we feel that unweaned birds shouldn't be sold until they're weaned.

Edited by Dave007

(dictated by Jay)...You can't get any better information than the information that Dave007 is giving you. He is one of the best breeders I have ever known. I've hand-fed and fledged Macaws (professionally) and they are one of the touchiest parrots to hand-feed. I advise to take the baby back to the breeder and let them raise it until it is fledged or find a Macaw breeder who is willing to surrogate them. Thank you. Please keep us informed. Jay (Maggie)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
"After your baby reaches 7/ 8 weeks of age and has made the transition from brooder to cage" Should the cage be a certain size? The cage I have in mind is 32 by 32--when should I purchase a cage that big?

At 10 to 11 weeks, The grey can be put in a cage that's about 20 x 20 inches. The bird should be able to see and get used to the final big cage being near him/her. The final cage that you're checking out would be about 36x wide x 28in deep x 55 inches high. The square cage you're talking about is the wrong size and style for a grey. This is a picture of the general size of a cage for an adolscent to adult grey.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/CopyofP1010040.jpg

Edited by Dave007

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I have hand fed macaws. They are touchy and you need to be trained to do this correctly or you could inadvertently kill your baby. Teaching something like that through the Internet is impossible and i also suggest to speak with the breeder or find a local breeder who would be able to help you hands on.

Your baby should already be handfeeding so i don't understand your question on best way to start handfeeding. Are you asking about when to start solids?

• 1 year later...

Over here in Thailand, the birds are born mostly on farms and sold by the farm or a middleman.  They do not want to feed a bird or usually, you will not find anyone selling them after 12 weeks.    All the birds I purchase has been between 4 and 5 weeks old.  I have hand feed all 6 of our birds until they wean.   

• Like 1