NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is there such a thing as too much sleep?

Good evening everyone! Baby is sleeping a lot more than usual….is that normal for the season or something? I work from home and her cage is in the same room as my computer…normally she is active and talkative most of the day but today she slept a good portion of my 8 hour work day. And right now her cage is wide open….she normally bolts out the first chance she gets and climbs all over the cage feverishly but today it took her awhile to come out and when she did, she was unsure of her footing/beak placement. She was only out for about 10 minutes and then went back in on her own…cage still open which never happens. Usually it takes me a good 30 minutes to convince her to get back in. Now, I should mention….probably should have lead with this…she fell from the top of her cage (on the inside) so the reluctance to climb makes sense to me. But coupled with the excessive sleeping I, being the paranoid parront that I am, has me wondering if she’s okay. Thank you all in advance!! 

• Like 1

I'm not sure how long you've have this parrot -- so not sure you can determine her 'normal behaviour' yet in your home.  I mean, maybe she was awake more before because she's in a new environment.  Basically, she needs to establish her new norms in your home before you assume you're witnessing a behaviour change or not.

If she is eating and pooping normally, I would assume she is fine.  She could love you and her new home but still be homesick and miss her former home and people.  She may have good days and bad days.  She's probably quite resilient but deserves time to settle in.  Granted, the video you shared showed a sweet parrot, probably experiencing some Spring hormonal fever.  But she could also still be adjusting to some major changes in her life.

Again, as long as she is eating and pooping, I shouldn't worry.  At some point she does need a vet visit just to establish her health status and to get a baseline for you.  But for now, I say let her settle in.  Just because you knew her in her formal former home doesn't mean you can gauge her behaviour in a new atmosphere, with new routines, people, etc..  From your shared video I felt she was coping quite normally considering all the recent changes in her life.  

Edited by LNCAG
changed formal to former
  • Like 2

I never thought about it like that….that just because I have been around her for her whole 18 years….and daily for the 6 months prior to bringing her here, she will still need to adjust to the environment. I definitely plan on taking her to a vet just to give her the “once over” but I think it’s best that I wait a little bit…so she adjusts and I can figure out how I will get her into a transport carrier….i transported her here in her cage because I had access to a vehicle big enough at the time.

Anyway, I will just relax a little and let her settle in. Thank you for your advice!! 

• Like 2

She is back to acting like she did before now…..but I agree that I need to take her to the vet ASAP. Here’s my next question, how do I get her into something to take her there? And what is that thing I need….like a carrier with a perch? I’ll probably have to schedule the last appointment of the day and start trying at 8am!! Any tips would be appreciated greatly!!

• Like 1

Glad you think she's acting normal again.  I truly believe she is still adjusting to her new home.

My breeder always duct taped a towel (cut to size) to the bottom of her kitty carriers for traction -- but the tape MUST be well pressed down so a toe nail can't get caught in it.

I preferred to roll up a small hand towel into a perch and tape it to the bottom of carrier.  Perch should be wall-to-wall.  And again, being super sure the duct tape was well attached so no toe nail could get caught.  Use good tape like Gorilla tape.  I placed this makeshift perch just a few inches back from front door of carrier so my parrot could perch on it but also see out easily.  The advantage to this method was I could just leave the rolled up towel perch inside permanently for next time (and wipe up any poop from plastic carrier bottom).  My breeder's method also worked well, but if the parrot poops, you have to wash the towel and re-tape it every single time. 

I backed my parrots in also, but mine quickly learned to spread their wings so they wouldn't fit inside!  lol  I learned I needed both my hands, one hand holding parrot (with my thumb over one of their feet) and the other to gently curve over their back so they couldn't spread their wings.  ymmv   lol

Good luck!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have this https://birdsupplies.com/products/pak-o-bird-backpack-bird-carrier?currency=USD&variant=43451676295424&stkn=b0605d7fb489&campaign_id=15618519570&ad_id=570480166975&gad_source=1

for transport, but it's pricy just for vet trips. Works great though. As others have said, they can usually deal with short trips pretty well. I have seen cat carriers mentioned in the past as a short term solution.

I also agree with taking her to the avian vet for a check-up as soon as feasible. My bird was sick and they do hide illness very well. It was a near disaster, and I'll never hesitate to make that trip again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I line my carrier with towels, they can't perch when they are traveling very well.  I would use a fun cute voice full of distraction, getting them interesting in what you are saying or teasing them with a treat. Then quickly but smoothly back them into the carrier & be quick to close it, all the while giving reassurance in a kind voice.  Sometimes th eother hand behind them around their wings where they cant see it so they can't open their wings to fly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Others have already commented but I think the general rule of thumb is that if there is any noticeable change in behaviour/personality then a vet trip is a sensible idea. As others have said, African Greys are prey animals and therefore they are very good at hiding or masking illness. So when they start to show it, then it's definitely time for some assistance.

In regards to carriers, I have a travel cage that I use whenever I take Alfie anywhere. It's similar to this: King`s Cages Parrot Travel Cage Medium (premierparrots.co.uk) (You can get much cheaper versions nowadays too). I have space for a couple of perches, food and water bowls plus a small toy in there for him. I used to use a cat carrier but it was such a pain trying to get him in there and I never found a workable solution that didn't leave his feet covered in his own mess if he was going to be in there for a while. (I'm rubbish at DIY so adding a perch wasn't an option for me). So I splashed out on a kings travel cage (as that was the only make available to me all those years ago) and haven't looked back since. But I also use this for taking him to visit my parents regularly so it suits for much longer trips than just a vet visit.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@neoow I absolutely loved your special travel enclosure -- still fondly remember a video you shared of taking your guy out for a parrot fair/meet-up.  You spoil your guy and I loved it!!!  Huggs and scritches from me to your sweetie!

@Talon Agree re: perching when traveling -- my rolled up towel makeshift perch rested on carrier bottom, it was NOT elevated.  It was more just something their feet could grasp/hold on to for stability.  I promise I don't drive fast or crazy, but still, wouldn't want them to go sliding about unbalanced when I make a turn.   lol

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LNCAG said:

@neoow I absolutely loved your special travel enclosure -- still fondly remember a video you shared of taking your guy out for a parrot fair/meet-up.  You spoil your guy and I loved it!!!  Huggs and scritches from me to your sweetie!

Spoiled is definitely the word 🤣

If someone could point out to him just how spoiled he is and also how many toys he has to shred and chew... plus two trees to play on... yet he still tries to chew the kitchen cupboard handles (even though they are metal...) ...I would be most grateful! 😁

• Haha 2