NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

We are moving!

Greytness

After living in our home for 34 years, we've decided to move to the country! We purchased a nice home on 2.2 acres of land. What I'm most excited about is no longer having to worry about neighbors being disturbed by the sounds from my birds and parrots, especially my macaws. Our aviary has rarely been used on account of our neighbor's intense sensitivity to sound, called misophonia. Unfortunately my birds' vocalizations is one of the sounds that will throw her into feelings of hate, anger and rage. But that is about to change, as I plan on moving the aviary with us for my birds to enjoy! Can't wait!

• Like 3

Congratulations!  Sounds like a wonderful new home (and land - lots of space!!!)  I bet you and your guys will really love and enjoy it!

My grey had 2 moves with me -- while he hated change, I found that as long as his main cage was arranged the same inside and was placed in a similar position in the new home -- he adjusted quite well.  My macaw, amazon and 'tiel all seemed to enjoy change -- so your guys are in for a real treat -- esp with an outdoor aviary!

• Like 3

Woo! Congratulations! It sounds wonderful! I'm sure it will be a lot of work to get everyone moved in and settled but it sounds like it'll be a great change for you and your flock!

Alfie has moved twice with me too - he's pretty boisterous for a grey though and seems to handle change pretty well, even major ones like moving house or moving cage. He's lived in three different houses and four different cages over his lifetime.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Timbersmom said:

Wow, that's great! That neighbor has been giving you grief for some time as I remember. Hope your move goes smoothly.

Oh, yes she has. While I love my current home, having remodeled it to our tastes, we've never been able to completely relax here. I am constantly closing windows and doors whenever my birds get too loud so as not to set her off. 

My 4 new neighbors all have animals: horses, chickens, dogs, etc. It will be amazing to not be chastized for our birds animal vocalizations.

• Like 2

I moved when I had one grey. As long as she had her cage in its spot, she was quite happy watching all the commotion as we talked to her & told her about her new home. She was fine as long as she had us to give her the tour the next day after she had time to feel safe in her own cage for a day & night.  I am so excited they will finally have their own outside aviary to just be birds!  Cant wait for pics once you get all settled in!

P.S. I can not imagine having to let your birds go without cause of neighbors,  bless you!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We close escrow this week and will be moving on Thursday! It's been quite an ordeal going through 34 years of accumulated stuff.

My fabricator is all lined up to take down and transport my aviary next Wednesday, which I'm super excited about! The only down side is that I'll now have to crate them and carry each one out, whereas right now I have an attached enclosed area that extends from my window directly into the aviary. So there's no need to crate and carry them outside. My birds don't like being crated, especially the macaws so it'll be interesting!

• Like 1

Oh, that is sooo exciting!  I cant wait to hear how things go!  

My outside (attached) bird room is off my living room. )its a covered/ closed in screened porch)  Since my amazon is the only one who is brave enough to go out there,  on Saturdays when I am doing house chores, I put her out there.  She knows this as ""The Bird Room" .  I make a big fuss over the "The Bird Room" .  She knows what that means when I ask her if she wants to go in  "The Bird Room"  I am able to get her out of her cage as a step up to go to  "The Bird Room".  She LOVES being out there.  My other 2 (gresy) are too chicken & will only go if I sit there with them, which is rare since Sat is my only day to do my house chores, they dont go out there.....

On SUndays when we are chilling in the living room, I can open the living room window which goes directly to  "The Bird Room" and NIlah can fly in & out as she pleases.

• Like 1

I'm only a month late (need to start checking back in more often).   Glad to hear to hear you'll be rid of the witch.   Sounds like you're moving to a similar situation like we did.  Our neighbors are cows, farmers and about 100 head of sheep and their watch donkey.     Glad to see your aviary is making the haul too.   Can you believe I still have not rebuilt my aviary 😢

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!! So glad to no longer have them as neighbors. Fairly certain the feelings are mutual.

The aviary is all situated on our property. My son is currently using it for his ducks until he can get around to building another quack house for them.

Met 2 of our new neighbors who both seem to be quite decent folks.  Am loving it here so far, and am beyond happy! Just finished unpacking and organizing the interior, so my next project will be the garage.

Edited by Greytness
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Little late, how is the new house? :) I remember moving Sukie half way accross the planet. I shipped his cage too. He ended up in 30 day quarrentine in up state NY.

When we got him from the airport, we put him back in his same house by the window, and it was like nothing happened. Ive found that the only thing that bothers him, is a cage swap, even when it was two times the size of the original, he went quiet for a week or so. Just sat on the pearch as close to the side of the new cage as he could, and then it was business as usual.

Hope your enjoying your new home :) 

• Like 1