NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Snickers went to the sanctuary today

LNCAG

Been a sad and weird day.  Ces came by a little after noon-time and picked up Snickers.  I've known for a few days when the pick-up would be, so tried to give Snickers a little extra attention.  I let Snickers watch a few sanctuary videos on my laptop.  Not that he knew he was headed there himself, but he seemed to enjoy watching them.  He was super quiet in his kitty carrier when I handed him off, he had to be confused and scared to be leaving me and going off with some stranger.  :(  I expect he'll be stressed and somewhat shy/scared for a while until he adjusts there.  He'll be the new kid on the block out this week, but I'm hoping he'll make friends soon (a female love interest would help move things along quicker).

Knowing he may not eat/drink well for the first few days, I made sure he got his favourite apple slices (honey crisp) more often and that he ate other higher calorie (fattier) foods.  I know he may feel too intimidated at first to approach their food dishes if too many other greys (the regulars) rush over to the food dish and monopolize it first.  Gotta be scary for him to be assertive in a new atmosphere.  Snickers seemed to have slept well last night -- I'm sure it will take him a few days (nights) to settle in and get comfortable enough to sleep there.   So those are my worries and concerns for now.  Later I expect he will have made friends and be too active to even think about me.

Anyway, it's so quiet here.  I've never been this many hours without being asked "watcha doin?"  

• Sad 3

Thanks for the support.  I've been a little sad, yet there are many moments I keep forgetting he's gone.  It's too quiet and I look over to see what he's doing/why he's being so quiet but in a second I remember it all over again.

I'm napping and sleeping a lot and that helps. And I'm trying to stay positive about the new adventures in front of him. 

• Like 1

I really feel for you. I know it wasn't an easy decision to make and I can only imagine how hard it is to keep being reminded that he's not around. I am sure he will settle in to his new home soon enough and make lots of new friends. At the end of the day you had to do what was right for you and for Snickers and those are the toughest decisions to make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ces assures me that Snickers is doing great and is now "part of the gang" there. His words.  I am relieved Snickers is fitting in well. 

So Snickers has new friends and interests... and I guess I don't.  

It sounds crazy, but emotionally it feels like I just went through a break-up -- that Snickers moved on with his life and I'm left behind.  How dumb can I sound???  I always wanted his happiness -- and he needs to be happy in order for me to be happy about my decision to place him. 

I just need more time to process the changes in my life.  And I will, it'll just take some time. 

• Like 1

I can't even imagine what you're going through. One day it will be my reality as well, and just thinking about that puts my emotions into a huge tail spin. I'm comforted to hear he's acclimating so quickly, which is quite amazing for a CAG. 

It's also comforting to know you can visit him if you'd like. Their sanctuary looks like such a wonderful place for parrots to live out their lives. 

• Like 2

I was very surprised Snickers fit in so quickly.  I knew my b&g macaw, amazon and my cockatiel fit in quickly.  Sami (macaw) had a couple macaws flying over to land next to her & sidling up close to her on the perch -- within 30 minutes of her arrival.  (At first, she clung on enclosure wire side, just watching/looking for me).  I was there for their sanctuary placement and got to see them settle in a little.  Kodak (cockatiel) had several girlfriends and perch cuddlers before I left that day.  And Lukaya (YNA) also fit in quickly.  But wow -- amazons are more boisterous -- it went smoother than it looked!  I seriously thought Lukaya might have to fight them all to find a place there -- but there was no fighting -- just a lot of racket, screeching whistles, crazy eyes pinning and blurry fly-bys!  She fit right in!  lol

I really thought greys would be slower to adapt since they're more reserved, nervous & shy (well, my Snickers is like that anyway).  I have considered that since Snickers was placed in with other greys -- other greys with probably similar backgrounds -- greys who had also been through a 'first day at the sanctuary experience' - well... perhaps those greys are now very experienced in greeting new arrivals.  A new grey must have interested them greatly.  I suppose if just one or two greys there approached Snickers respectfully, and showed friendly interest, he would naturally reciprocate.  If Snickers felt abandoned by me, friendly greys approaching him may have been quite a relief to him.  And Snickers no doubt learned the sanctuary routine from them -- when fresh food is put out, which perches are most sheltered for sleeping, which toys are the best, etc..  I don't know.  Just guessing.  Thankful that whatever happened for him, happened.

So I guess greys can read other greys.  Even greys kept in private homes for decades.

Edited by LNCAG
Sharing other parrot placement experiences
  • Like 2

I took Timber in after my last child left home. I had "empty nest" syndrome. He really filled a spot in my heart that needed filling. I can certainly understand how you feel, and think it would be similar. They become such an important part of our lives that it leaves a big hole when they are gone. God bless.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A funny (not ha ha funny) but a weird observation.  I certainly knew Snickers mimicked a LOT of household sounds.  And now he's not here, I am hearing them for the first time.  The fridge does make noises when the compressor clicks on,  the a/c (and furnace) have their soft clicking sounds when turning on.  I am so used to Snickers making these noises, it is so weird and crazy to hear the original sounds now.  I guess since Snickers was a bit louder, all the normal sounds in this household I really only heard when filtered through Snicker's mimickry.  There is even something (not sure what) that makes a soft squeaking/whistling noise (maybe something here needs oiling! -- could be the stove exhaust fan???) and I would just swear Snickers is still here.   

Anyway, I am doing great.  Adjusted to him being gone, even relieved that someone else is doing all the chopping and dicing of veg/fruit for him.  I didn't realize just how much of my limited energy I was devoting to his care.  Certainly I miss him from time to time, but I feel so great he is placed, has friends, etc. and that I can just concentrate on day to day things now.  It's a huge relief now that the decision has been made and that I no longer have to stress about caring for him.  Just thought I would share that.  And thanks again for the support when this was so fresh and raw for me.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...