NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Touch, Wave and Spin

neoow

Did a bit of training with Alfie this evening as admittedly I've been slacking on that side of things recently. We worked on "touch", "wave" and "spin". For the touch command, he just needs to touch the chopstick with his beak. He tends to grab it- but so long as it's gentle then I'll accept it. For wave he just needs to lift his foot up. I would normally cue this with a hand gesture as well but I had my hands full with the clicker and the phone, so I think that's why he was more hesitant on this occasion. And for the spin I just want him to rotate round on the spot. I'd normally do this one on a perch, but he seemed to get the hang of it just fine on the flat surface.

I need to start adding recall training back into the mix as I haven't been doing this in a structured way recently. Alfie tends to pick and choose when he's going to recall and when he's going to stay put. Sometimes he opts to fly to me then go over my head or round me at the last minute. I'm hoping I'll get better results if I start doing more structured training sessions with him again.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2022 at 10:32 PM, SRSeedBurners said:

I attempted to do that same training with Greycie, chopstick and clicker too.   The one that really stuck was the spin.  She now spins whenever I have something she wants.  And she'll keep doing it until she gets it.   Training gone awry.

Haha sounds like she might have trained you instead of the other way round!! 😂

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 4:47 PM, Timbersmom said:

Very cool! I watched a lot of training videos when I first got Timber, but am ashamed to say I've never really tried.

I only started training a couple of years back. Alfie wasn't my biggest fan at the time so it helped us work together and regain some trust from each other. I must admit I've slacked off recently and we haven't done much training at all, but he still remembers everything he learned previously.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...