NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I need to know

Jkings

Hello everyone, I am Jkings. I grew up having an African gray in our family but was never into breeding. But decided to start breeding, my African gray has a baby and I wanted to ask couple of questions because this is my first time. Question 1. Can I clean the house and put a softer material for the baby, will the mother continue taking care of it. Question 2. Can I do the DNA of the baby with the eggshell

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Breeding is a difficult thing to do with parrots. I suggest you look thru the files here and research all the information you can, I myself I don’t care for breeders of any sort, I believe in rescue, but if you become a breeder knowledge and experience is key. Otherwise don’t attempt it. Just my opinion. 

• Like 2

How do I assess the files?. I am new to the forum.

I know breeding is difficult, just owning and loving an African Grey is also difficult but I am hoping that they are people in this forum who are int to breeding  and will be will to walk me through this with their experience.

• Like 1

For me, the issue with breeding, is that there are already too many unwanted parrots.  I don't see the need to breed more until every already-living parrot has a *good* home.  The sheer number of re-homed parrots makes me cry.  Most people don't know what they're getting into with a parrot, so many parrots get re-homed many times during their life.  My own grey was also an unwanted re-homed parrot.  I've had him 23 years.  Can't really imagine deliberately breeding more domestic parrots.  Just me, I guess.  :( I BEG people, give a new home to a domestically bred parrot, don't just adopt chicks -- home the ones already bred -- they didn't ask for this life, yannoe.  :(

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forums!

I'm afraid I have no knowledge about breeding or rearing parrots so can't offer much advice. Do you know any breeders that are local to you? You might be able to get in touch with them and ask for their advice? Some may be willing to help or even mentor you?

It's well worth checking out historical threads here on the forums. Like greytness mentioned, the nursery section is probably the best place to start,

• Like 1