NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Member saying Hello

Just a quick note to say Thank You for letting me join and a bit about myself.

We are husband and wife Rob & Carol and we are currently in week 5 of hand rearing Ella a female AG, her parents are prolific egg layers but just can't seem to get eggs to hatch DIS at various stages so we decided to see if we could do any better incubating with the last round and had two clear and one fertile.

We have some previous hand rearing experience with an umbrella cockatoo some twenty years ago but never a day old grey hatchling before, what an intense learning curve its been, helped by the nursery section of this board (so thank you)

I have been keeping a log of weight, feed quantity, temperature videos and photos and will post them if they are of any interest to anyone.

Bye for now Carol.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, neoow said:

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

How exciting about Ella. It's not a challenge I would be prepared to take on myself! Would love to know more about Ella and your other birds!

It's definitely been a challenge the first 2 days of on the hour every hour was not easy (lack of sleep wise) but when she was happy with one night feed at 3am it got slightly easier after a week she now goes 7 hrs through the night and we got our sanity back 🤪she is fairly straight forward feeding now but not looking forward to weaning her, just hope she gets the hang of it when the time comes.

We started trying to breed AG's about 2 to 3 years ago with 2 pairs but about a 1 year ago we lost a hen after she ate a slug and died unfortunately, the second pair laid after a couple of months of owning them but she just can't seem to hatch them herself, we must have had at least 8 clutches of mainly fertile eggs that just never made it to hatch so Ella was incubated and it was a real surprise to us as we just expected the same result again.

My first love has always been cockatoos but where we live now in a built up area it just wasn't practical, although the greys are also gorgeous and a damn sight quieter 🙄

Carol.

Edited by R&C Greys
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Timbersmom said:

Hello and welcome! I enjoyed watching the "hatch" video and hope Ella thrives under your care.

Thank You, glad you enjoyed the video we were a bag of nerves when she decided to pip and unzip having never witnessed a hatch we were both spellbound 😃i will keep updating the post from time to time to show her progress.

Carol.

• Like 3

Being the first, she is too special to let go 😍 so will stay with us as a member of the family.

I keep greys just as a hobby really, i've just retired and the food bill will have to be covered at some point as the price of Harrison pellets is not cheap plus the daily fresh fruit and veggies, so if we get anymore then they would have to be sold (unfortunately) we couldn't keep them all as much as we would like to 🐥🐥🐥

Carol.

• Like 1