NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feeding during Coronavirus Pandemic

Breezy2013

My State is on lockdown due to the Coronavirus.  People are panic buying and food supplies are running low.  I am thinking of stocking up on fruits and veggies and  firing up my Dehydrator to  have a supply of dried Items for Breezy.  There was only one package of Raspberries and Grapes left in the store when my Husband went there to get his fresh food.  I can still get his Pelleted Mixed Grey Diet I order, but am worried about not being able  to get that.  I can get Brown Rice still, but heard there is Arsenic in it.  He does eat mash and Chop.  I am going to Research how to make that balanced for him.  I guess I am just concerned.  Do I  need to be concerned about Home Dehydrated fruits and Veggies for him?  I need to find produce to even be able to do this.  Fortunately,  we are heading into spring here and if push comes to shove I can grow my own garden.  My Husband said the Grocery Store is cleaned out and he has never seen anything like this.  I will grow sprouts for him, too.

• Like 3

I want to say that things will be getting back to normal in the not to distant future.  I'm still waiting for the wave of people to get it.  I have heard of others that have fed dehydrated foods to their birds.  I know some mixes come with bits of dehydrated food.  Have you tried shopping extremely early in the day? 

• Like 4

We went to the Grocery Store once during the day and once at night.  Going in the morning seems like a good idea.  I will try that.  We were able to find toilet Paper and Paper Towels today where before nobody had them so things may be normalizing.  The Pelleted Mix I get has dry fruit and Veggies in it, so that may be good enough.  Unfortunately Breezy gets upset if he doesnt get Fresh fruits and Veggies every day so he might be mad at me for awhile if I cant get them.  He gets loud in the morning when he hears me up and I dont start getting his produce ready right away for him.

• Like 3

It has been absolute carnage here due to idiotic panic buying. I've never known anything like it.

However it does seem to be calming down somewhat now. Shops put in fairly hefty restrictions and reduced their opening hours to give themselves chance to restock the shelves. They also opened early for the elderly/vulnerable and also have dedicated times for NHS/health workers to shop. They're also restricting how many people can be in the store at any time, so you have to queue outside (keeping in mind social distancing guidance) and go in when told.

I went today around 1pm to grab a few bits of food. We only bought what we needed before the lockdown and so we were getting towards the end of our supplies. Thankfully I was able to find everything I needed today. I did forget a few bits but I was trying to get in and out as quickly as possible so stupidly didn't take a list. But we have enough of what we need.

Alfie has a mix of pellets, seeds, dried fruit and dried veg. He rarely eats fresh produce and usually launches it with gusto across his cage. So he's fairly happy with what he has for now.

I've seen others who have use dehydrators to create bird food and as far as I'm aware there's no issue with that? I buy in dried fruit and veg for Alfie as I have such a small kitchen. Otherwise I'd make it myself.

• Like 3

I've been lucky -- my sis has been concerned that I am high risk -- so she is buying groceries for me, my parents and her in-laws.  It's like her Saturday is nothing but food deliveries (we don't all live in same town).  So far no has accused of her hoarding - but it's got to be a LOT of groceries.  She still can't find toilet paper (I'm not out) - no idea about her inlaws' supply of tp.

I did do drive-through at Arby's once for their turkey swiss sandwich (a fave of mine) and I literally unbagged/unwrapped sandwich and dumped it on a plate without touching it.  Then I took Lysol wipes to all doorknobs, etc. and then double-washed my hands before sitting down to eat it.  Overkill?  I told my Mom that story and she thought I was crazy.  She said 'well someone made and touched the sandwich' and I said I thought they wore gloves in food prep.  And Mom's like "how often do you think they change their gloves and don't you think they are touching other stuff with them on?"  Dunno.  But that sandwich was such a treat!   

Snicker's food is holding out nicely so far.  He is eating my own rice now without a problem.  Good thing since I am out of Birdseye frozen rice and veg mix.

Edited by LNCAG
Edited to add: my dear baby sis lives an hour away from me -- she lives closer to inlaws but only 7 miles closer. Mom and Dad live in same town as me. Her grocery runs a real blessing for us all.
  • Like 2

Due to my work schedule, I feed frozen veggies.  I make a mixture of pasta, rice, quinoa, and various frozen veggies. Freeze it and have enough to give daily for about a month.  They don't always like what I have chosen, but they will pick at it at the very least.

• Like 3

We have plenty of frozen fruit and veggies.  The freezer is packed full, actually, so I could always feed those.  I am high  risk as well (Diabetes, Hemochromatosis, Afib and other heart problems,) so the less I am in the grocery store to get exposed to it the better I feel that it wont end up killing me if I wind up catching it.

• Like 3

I have frozen corn and peas open (half a bag each) plus have new unopened bags of each in freezer.  Also a partial bag of limas, but he doesn't eat many of them.  Frozen stuff may last a good while.  The carrots and apples in fridge will obviously go bad sooner, but so far, still crisp and fresh seeming.  Rice is obviously good for a long time -- just made a new batch tonight for Snickers.  Wish I had melon, blueberries, banana or some treat for him.  Don't want him to get bored. :( 

I know I don't want him turning into a seed/pellet/peanut junkie on me, so not offering much of those (of which I have plenty). 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Greytness said:

I'm still freeze drying organic fruit and veggies goodies with my company: Bodacious Birdie Bites. Please let me know if I can help!

Timber will not eat dried fruits and veggies, but I am curious as to how the business is going? Well I hope.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Do you have a website, Greytness?  I should check into the freeze dried fruits and veggies just in case.  I am able to find fresh fruits and veggies now, however, but the supply is still not quite right, it is hit or miss as to what I can find in the Grocery Store.

• Like 1