NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My cat, Zuri, passed away at age 12

LNCAG

It started with a numb paw and some Prednisone 6 weeks ago and ended in full bodily paralysis on 9/30.  I took to vet, no solutions -- euthanasia.  Vet had no idea what may have caused this -- first left paw was numb (indoor cat) no injury detected -- vet decided issue was further up arm and prescribed Preds to any reduce possible upper arm swelling.  Zuri seemed better, even making sofa jumps in spite of numb left paw; but then Monday 9/30 woke up to cat unable to move or walk total paralysis: euthanasia at vets.  I am still not over it.  I miss her more than I ever imagined.  Cannot sleep at night without her cuddled up near me.   She was only *12* years old.  I get eventually kidney failure at 15 or 16 -- but this threw me in a complete depression.  CAG cannot comfort me enough -- I slept with this cat every night for 12 years.  

Dreary post, sorry.  I just don't understand happened.

Anyway, it's why I haven't been active on forum.  Just sad and grieving. 

• Sad 3

Oh no...I'm so, so sorry to hear your devastating news. I wonder if she might have had a quick growing spinal cord tumor. Regardless, losing a best friend leaves a huge unfillable hole in our hearts. 

Sending you peace, comfort and healing as you learn  how to live without her.

• Like 3

I am so sorry for your loss....I know how it feels,when they are taken away so young. I lost my dear indoor cat to kidney disease at just 7 years old almost a year ago...too young..I just still don’t understand and miss him so much.  My heart is sad for you...😔❤️

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@GreytnessI do suspect brain or spinal column -- probably a freak illness/disease.  Had cats all my life -- first time ever without a cat (at least since age 20 or so, and difficult esp to lose a cat at such a young age) -- I also love dogs, but don't have one at moment (last dog RB 2012 at age 15).

I guess we forget what's it's like to not have a fur baby sometimes.  :(  Sorry to be such a bummer. 

Snickers (CAG) tries to help -- he's a sweety but not the same as cat that sleeps with you.  To make matters a little worse, I think he's HAPPY my cat is gone.  Darn parrots!

@Talon I had a freak incident where I lost an indoor cat at age 8 to kidney disease -- (Brittany, so young) so I feel you. :(  I didn't understand either.  Cats usually live 18+ years in my home .  I feel so lost at moment, sorry.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We've had a few cats.  The one just before our last cat got renal failure (pretty common I guess).   The vet gave us a choice of putting the cat down or administering drips under his skin.   We extended him maybe a year(?).  He would do really good after a drip then start to taper off.   Eventually they got to where they weren't working and he sadly left us.   Wife wants another cat but we can't risk it with all the snacks flying around.

• Like 4

@SRSeedBurners My Mandey (Himalayan) lived to 17 years -- diagnosed with renal insufficiency at age 15 -- bought him an additional 18+ months with Hills Prescription Diet KD and I was giving him 150ccs of sub-q fluids 3-4 times weekly under neck skin (the 4th fluid treatment was sort of PRN)-- I literally put a cup hook up high on woodwork to hang his lactated ringers from.  He'd actually come sit on my lap insistently, and I could tent his neck skin (to check for dehydration) and I'd know he was asking for his fluids.  He was getting good BUN/creatnine levels at vet's lab for most of that 18 months, so I totally get you on this treatment.  It was a blessing to take care of him, he never minded the fluid treatment, but the food wasn't his favourite (although he did eat it).   I was sad when treatment stopped working.  Miss him still (1988 - 2005).

• Like 3

They're not just pets they become family members. We spend so much time with them, caring for them and bonding with them that it's always so difficult when we lose them. I'm so very sorry for your loss, especially as it seemed so sudden and unexpected.

I still miss our German Shepherd, Ben. He was such an integral part of our family and he got me through some particularly tough times. Even though it's been several years since he passed I still think about him and miss him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I am adjusting.  It's a blessing to have a CAG -- he knows I've been sad and has tried to make up for it.  And he can be quite cuddly!!!  If my stinker CAG wasn't likely to wander and chew cords during the night; I swear I'd let him sleep with me to replace the cat.  But he would never be safe left out all night, to his own devices, to be my sleeping companion.   I just miss having my cat.  Life.  I have to move on.

I'd get a kitten (or dog) tomorrow but it's a big responsibility to adopt a new pet.  I don't want to rush things.  It's about the pet's best interests, not the owner's.  Pets deserve a good home, not to be a replacement for me feeling sad and lonely at night when wanting a warm pet cuddling next to me. 

• Like 4

Sorry if I bummed anyone out or brought back other's sad memories of lost fur babies.  I am just sad.  If only I could keep Snickers (CAG) out 24/7.  But he's an inquisitive parrot and just cannot be out while I sleep.

Everyone tells me to just 'get another one' (and one day I will) but there is no replacement for lost loved pet.  One day I will fall in love again with a fur baby.

Sorry again for being a bummer.  I do realize this is a grey forum. 

• Like 2

The purpose of this forum (in my opinion) is to share our triumphs AND our sorrows. Most of the forum members have furbabies as well as fids. There is no reason why you should not share your loss with like-minded people. As for me, thinking of the ones I lost brings fond memories. I firmly believe I will see all my loved ones when I cross into eternity (human and nonhuman), so I see it as a temporary parting, not a forever goodbye.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Please do not apologise. Karen summed it up perfectly -  we are a community here and we will be with you through the good and the bad. I think we can all appreciate that losing a pet is very difficult and nobody would think ill of you sharing your sad news.

I had 13 years with my dog Ben. Whilst I miss him, I have lots of happy memories that still make me smile to this day. We never did replace him and in fact it took us years to get another dog after our first dog, Sam passed away.

If/when you get another cat/pet I don't think you ever 'replace' the pet that you lost. You will still have all the memories and you will still have the hole that they left behind. I would love to have another dog (but circumstances don't allow it right now) but he/she would never be a replacement for Ben... or Sam for that matter. Every pet is an individual and will bring something new to the family/flock/household. Nobody can tell you the 'right' time to get a new cat/pet after you have lost one. It's a very personal decision.

I hope you are doing ok and that Snickers is looking after you. We're here if you need us.

• Like 4

Well, I did it.  I adopted 2 older kittens (6 and 9 months old - spayed but need booster shots next week) through an amazing adoption agency that basically rescues kittens from shelters right before their euthanasia date approaches.  Dora and Dottie (I didn't name them but the names seemed to fit!) are no special breed -- just simple domestic short hair cats (Dora is a white with some grey tabby markings and Dottie is a pastel calico -- both are mostly white.  It took them a couple days to bond, but both had past experience with other kittens and dogs so within 36 hours they learned to play well together and bonded.  It was a risk to adopt not knowing if they would easily bond or if it would take a LOT of work on my part.  I basically just acted like I didn't care at all and let them work it out -- and things went great!  Their youth probably helped.   I've always preferred pedigreed longer haired cats (Persian/Himalayan) or longer haired domestics, but I think their short hair status will make grooming much easier on me (and they are adorable just as they are!!!).

Snickers adores them -- watches them intently and will head bob and whistle when they are running wild!  It never occurred to me that maybe he misses Zuri.  Snickers time out of cage is much more limited while we work things out -- but he doesn't seem like he wants to go after them.  I am basically letting him just play on play gym on top of his cage and (when kittens are sleeping) holding him VERY protectively on sofa -- since sleeping kittens could awaken quickly with a parrot loose in home.  I put a metal grated fireplace screen around his cage for cat protection and to discourage them from poking their arms inside his cage; but they have actually been remarkably respectful of him.  After 22 years, Snickers understands cats, and in the past, has proved his trustworthiness.  I think he gets they are just babies who mean no harm.  But I will never trust a parrot and cat together, loose, without extreme supervision (which I haven't tried yet -- only had the kittens 1 week).  Too soon. 

These kittens (I find them gorgeous) but they are probably just run-of-the-mill common cats; but they have brought some joy back into my home.  And they look absolutely NOTHING like Zuri, which I appreciate.  Their energy levels amaze me!  I got them a new cat tree, beds, scratching post, Cat Dancer toys, soft toys that squeak like a mouse, a globe than rolls itself (batteries) and a wand-type feather toy I have to swing about for them.  I wanted them to have things that didn't belong to previous cats.  Even at such older-kitten ages, the play hard but sleep like the dead (sleeping time is Snickers the CAG out-of-cage-time) here.  But if a kitten awakens, I put him back up.  :( 

The new kittens can't erase my grief, but it does bring some activity and joy back to this home.  And I can't get over Snicker's whistling and playfulness with them around either -- he seems to delight in the new cat television in living room.  Snickers is definitely not bored during cage time.   lol

IMG_0153.jpg

• Like 4

I used the Adopt-An-Angel program -- they also have adoption days at either PetSmart or Petco (not sure now) on the week-ends -- in fact, they're the group where I adopted Zuri originally.  This time, I contacted the Adopt-An-Angel people directly and let the lady in charge choose the cats for me (through texting I basically knew what I would receive).  Then I drove 60 miles with carriers to pick these girls up. I found out only that morning (before I drove to pick them up) that the kittens had never met before, so I did know beforehand what I was getting into.  Had no idea they'd pick kittens from different foster homes -- figured they'd choose a pair already bonded. Adopt-An-Angel seemed so happy I wanted to adopt 2 sight unseen -- but past experience tells me cats do so well with a buddy! Helps them both burn off some energy. They are super affectionate with me and Dottie's fur is shockingly soft - softer than a bunny's. 

They described more glamorous cats they also had up for adoption (same adoption fee costs) -- they described long-haired ones and another one with obvious Siamese ancestry; but then I remembered my Himalayan's meow and told them plain domestic short-hairs suited me fine! Honestly, as I age, grooming long-hairs is a lot on me these days. :(  And the Siamese???  My home is noisy enough with Snickers.  And Snickers has mostly forgotten to make that Himalayan meow sound (Armand ([named after Anne Rice vampire chronicles] aka Mandey, RB 1988-2005) was my loud himmy -- so why remind Snickers of such a meow now???   It was a low cow-moo-toned meow -- very loud and drawn out! It was a weird and funny meow but could get old quickly sometimes.  I'd always tell Mandey that his Siamese was showing when he made that dreadful meow!  lol 

The cats have brought me (and Snickers) such a world of joy!  All their flurry of rushing around, running, jumping, chasing, grooming each other and then deep sleep!!!  I'm happier now.  Thanks for sharing in my joy -- my home (well, ME) needed this!  :)

• Like 3

@neoow You said "If/when you get another cat/pet I don't think you ever 'replace' the pet that you lost. You will still have all the memories and you will still have the hole that they left behind." 

I am old enough to have been through too many pet deaths, esp ones that reached old ages and with whom I had significantly important bonds. But I do agree with you.  Each new pet is an individual, not a replacement -- my earlier posts came out of my deep grief of losing a beloved pet so young (and 12 IS young) and Zuri was special to me.  At age 12, I felt I failed her somehow.  Grief and guilt is a bad combo even though I know I provided good care, safe home, vet visits and did all I could for her.

I truly believe adopting another pet is paying an homage to a previous pet -- to basically say that having had such a wonderful pet I never want to be without one again.  It IS the love enjoyed and the joy of providing care that makes us want to adopt another -- because the previous pet WAS so wonderful and great.  To say "no more" (as my Mom has done) is almost an insult, like "I had a pet and now I never want another."  What message does that send to previously loved and lost pet?  So sad really.  Something wonderful in your life makes you want MORE, not less. 

So, my new cats are tributes to those who RB'd -- that having had some amazing pets, I will also pay homage to them by getting more because the original pets 'hooked' me on the pure love and joy of having had past pets.

Meant to quote and comment sooner, was just sad before -- but you are SO right.  And my new kittens ARE new, they are not the same, not replacements - they are a new adventure.  :)  

• Like 3

I have lost many dogs, cats and two large parrots over the years and they are all different, with unique personalities.  A new pet is just that.  A new pet.  A new pet can never replace a pet you have lost.  They are totally new and themselves since every animal is different.  Your new kittens are very cute.  Hope you enjoy them.  I know the stillness and quiet in the house after I lose a pet is unbearable, and after grieving a bit I am ready to welcome another one.

• Like 2