NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

GreyFourums an explanation

KevinD

Folks, I'm going to give you a quick synopsis of where things stand with the board, some of it you will understand, and some of you wont depending on who you are and what your technical level is for these kind of things.

These are the objective facts. I will give subjective later.

1. And foremost the name greyforums.net is not owned by ANYONE here.

2. The owner of the .net name is a really nice guy that has nothing to do with this place anymore beyond being the owner of the .net name. 

3. I cleaned up the whole mess and made the database and forums work again without spyware and viruses because you guys helped me save Sukei. (And Im not looking for a thank you, just putting out facts for a determination after)

4. The database contains YEARS of experience and knowledge of members past and present, those here now and those that have passed on before us.

5. Participation has slowed to a crawl. This has everyone dealing with the site considering closing it.

6. The data on this site is INVALUABLE for our grey friends.

Now with these facts in hand I can offer every tech deal there is , video posting, song boards, anything you have on your favorite sites, I can duplicate, and make it work better.

Video, audio streaming anything to bring the level of participation back up here.

The real question is ......and not so much for me, but for Talon, do you want to keep it going.. how important is it to you your Greys and Talon that has kept it going for all these years.

Its time to consider what you have, and what you stand to loose, talk to her, let her know how you feel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I would be sad to see the forums close down because there is a wealth of knowledge and years of experience in the archives. It would be a real shame to lose everything that people have put into this place over the years- especially as some of them are sadly no longer with us.

However, I understand that it is a large undertaking to keep a website/forum running.

I also understand that this can seem like a totally thankless task when hardly anyone shows up and posts any more.

I enjoy keeping up to date with everyone's birds and I would be sad to lose that connection with the people here.

Is there a way to archive the data on the forums and make it searchable? Is there some way that this can be moved to another communications platform where we can still add to it and communicate with each other (for those that are left?) I don't even know what platform would be the best to use. Yes there is facebook where you could make a page or a group. But is that the best format? Would everyone move across? Are there other platforms available which are less taxing in terms of management and maintenance?

• Like 5

It would be sad, but I completely understand why it's necessary to consider making changes to this forum. New members only briefly remain which leaves me wondering why people aren't staying. Is it because it's so quiet? Is it because something needs tweaking? Marketing possibilities? 

I guess much will depend upon where Talon's heart and passions lie. 

• Like 5

This forum probably saved Timber's life. I was such an "idiot" when I got him, with no clue as to how to handle him or what to do. I would sure hate to lose it. I have no idea why participation has slowed to a crawl or why new people don't stay. I know people come here when they panic, then leave when they have their answer. I don't post often because nothing has changed here at my house. However, I do check the forum almost daily to see if anyone has posted.

• Like 4

I check the forum multiple times daily - almost always nothing new.   Have tried to drag a few people here that, like me, get tired of the Facebook drama in those groups with tens-of-thousands 'members'.     I've never successfully gotten anyone to come here.

Facebook has managed to kill off a lot of forums.   They can't kill off things like Maxima.org because the knowledge base is too huge and FB can't compete with the search-ability to find content that people rely on to diagnose and fix their vehicle.  Another of my favorites, Caique site, went under a few years ago.   The Caique FB groups are nothing compared to what was buried in the forum.  AvianAvenue is still going strong but I get tired of the mamby-pamby over there so don't go much.

Would hate to see this place go but there's also not much going on here either.  

• Like 4

I'll still choose Avian Avenue over the Parrot Forum. And you're right about the FB forums. Many people are cocked and loaded to ream out others over there. Still searching for the best FB ones worthy of my time. I do participate in the FB grey group that you, SRSeedBurners, are also a participant.

• Like 4

My view is that folks do come here and read just not posting. I haven't had much to say it has been a very hectic time for our family. I will make an effort to participate more often there are enough birds here to have material to share. This is a great resource and our Greys only benefit from what we can learn from each other.  Thank you ILeo for all you have done. 

• Like 4

I think it's time that I give you and the members of this great forum an explanation of my absence over the last two years or so.

It started with a very ill wife who passed away on  Valentines day 2018 and than her younger sister in Dec. of 2018 followed by her older sister in May this year.

We lost Willie our cockatiel at age believe it or not at age 27 followed by 5 very good friends and two of our dachshund one of old age and one unexpected..

I have a 44 year old special needs child that still lives with me that we adopted when he was 14 months old.

I have not had much time to post but I check in to see what's going on.

And than there is Corky my awesome Grey that has kept me going who will be 19 in Dec. of this year.

I will make every effort to start posting again to keep this forum alive.

KevinD you are doing a great job with this forum and I will do my best to step up as a member to support this Grey Forum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The GreyForums is the truth behind the care and raising if not only the African Grey  parrot but also all parrots who grace these pages and enrich our lives so much. Truth is found here. We will try to post weekly.

• Like 7

Thanks for keeping it going this long.

I notice it doesn't seem that busy here, yet it's a really nice forum with some great and helpful members here.

Grey owners should have a safe & friendly place to read anecdotes, share stories, teach newbies, warn about dangers (non-stick cookware, certain foods to avoid) etc..

• Like 5

Afterthought:  I am very active on Arachnoboards -- a very busy forum!  How is it possible more people want to chat about their tarantulas (which are pet rocks, not an interactive pet, and certainly feared by most people) and yet a wonderful grey forum like this one isn't that active?  It just seems that for every tarantula owner there should be thousands of grey owners, yannoe?  Greys are so loving, cuddly, interactive, intelligent, independent, creative, etc. -- tarantulas just sit in their enclosure waiting for food drops.  

If older members are willing to commit to more content here, then I can certainly try to post/respond more (and not just lurk and read).  Lurkers don't really help a forum grow.  :(

I suppose I never posted much here because there aren't always a lot of threads I feel I have something valuable to contribute to; and the threads I start tend to not get past page 1.  

I do remember being so excited when I first discovered this forum --C'mon -- a GREY FORUM?  What's not to love?

Edited by LNCAG
just me being picky me lol
  • Like 5

Well, we’re making changes, and I think a big one is allowing read only.

It was thought that by forcing signup to read that might do it, but it had the opposite affect. Folks went right back down the road they know so well, Facebook lol.

So being able to read again, and the new software being html friendly, we should get a lot more google hits about grey questions.

Were going to keep at it as time allows.

Thanks for being here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we had more than 5 regular posters.  I am trying to post more but feel like my efforts may appear as an attempt to dominate the boards here -- and I am just a newly hatched and well aware of such. 

I would do anything to inject more interest here -- to have people wanting to post more. 

I just feel like there are so many nice people here (well, any grey lover HAS to be somewhat nice)!!!

I am open to any ideas, newbie that I am.  I am not a member of any other bird forum on the internet.  (Well, I used to sysop on CompuServe for John Benn's  Pets/Cats/Dogs/Bird forums (also had a fishnet and a horses forum) -- but that was back in the early 90s when there was no internet to compete with).  Plenty of mods here -- but too many chiefs but not enough contributing members is death to forum.  I know this well and remember all to well when CompuServe died.  I don't mind liking others posts but I am dying of thirst for real discussion. 

I only have a grey, a multi-homed (somewhat scared and disturbed grey) yet an amazing trusting loving cuddly companion for me I've had since 1997.  So, my interest is mostly in CAGs/TAGs these days, parrot-wise.

I (notice, so far, every line begins with "I") just want to do anything I can to get people talking.  I am not argumentative -- I can take criticism -- I'd like to see all sorts of views shared -- even if yours never leaves the cage and is only offered a seed diet or if your grey has an outdoor aviary and gets fresh fruit/veg every day) we can still learn from each other.  And grow.  Or entertain each other with silly stories of stuff our greys do.  Even if you've already shared your funny stories, newbies (like me) may not have read them yet.  Or we can just repeat a million times how special greys are, or how smart, or remark again on those wonderful red tail feathers.

Is there a FB page for this site -- some way to let others know it exists???

HOW can I help?  I mean, REALLY help?  Or should I just shut-up and let a dying forum go? 

Is there a poll someone could put up and see what people here really want?  I will leave if needed, but was just so happy to find this forum and then so sad to see that maybe folks don't realize it's okay to repeat old stories and advice, it's okay -- to newbies it's all NEW!  In most forums, I find, most don't search for old threads, they start new ones.  Or join in ongoing threads.  Most don't take the time to read all the old stuff.

If I worked in internet advertising -- this forum would be my new project.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'd say just keep being active.   Some posts get ignored and others will spark an interest.  I've posted both kinds, just don't let it get under your skin if no one responds.   There is no facebook arm of this forum.  I've tried letting people know on the facebook grey groups about this forum but no one ever shifts this way.  I used to post a lot of pics and videos of my GreycieMae, I need to get back to that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've noticed the same as most.  Facebook is IMO the cause of the decline in Forums.  I was a moderator on another forum for years and as FB groups became more prevalent, participation dropped significantly.   I, like most, signed up for this forum and really honestly hoped it would be a busy community of people full of knowledge and participation but it seemed like the "Facebook effect" had already taken hold.  However I would hate to see this site and all of it's valuable information be archived. I'd like to offer my assistance if it is needed.  I have time I can dedicate if needed and am very technically minded.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The one thing about this forum is that the members care, but often get tied up with life in general and their post will come and go as they work their way through life.

I know and understand as my personal in the last two years has been  filled with tragedies that has taken up a lot of my time.

I am getting back to posting again as this forum means a lot to me with the friends I have made. Some times a post will lack response but others will have many.

I often will bounce round different subjects until I find one that spark a response.

My did you know post are meant to give tidbits of info as food for thought. Others are just stories about my grey, or trying to be help-full to members in need

Some times you hit a home run and some times you strikeout out.

It`s all part of the game

This forum is needed and we are the forum.

• Like 5

A lot of practical and helpful responses.  I realize no one has the power to force a forum to become busy and active -- it just has to happen on its own; and it has to feel effortless and be enjoyable for everyone.

And yeah, life does get in the way sometimes of being active in a forum.  

A woman can dream though: maybe one day I will come online here and there will be too many active threads for me to even read them all!  :)

Edited by LNCAG
double word oopsie
  • Like 5

My activity here is always in fits and spurts. Sometimes I only get time to read posts and not reply. Other times I have the luxury of being able to reply and start new threads as well. I try and stay active but unfortunately life gets in the way sometimes.

• Like 6

Incidentally, when I asked earlier if this forum had a FB page -- I meant a FB page to direct folks here.  I have no interest in a grey FB page for posting.  I like THIS forum.  FB can draw out a bit of everything -- sometimes TOO much diversity there.  ;) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1