NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Safe varnish for a playstand

Angelwings

Hi,

I have a home made playstand I'm looking to use this varnish on:

https://www.lakelandpaints.co.uk/testers-special-charts/woodstainshed-and-fence-matchpots/

I've emailed them to ask if it's safe for parrots and they insist it is, saying:

hi - its entirely non toxic for birds, fish, mammals etc
and toys (EN71/3/95) compliant

ingredients

acrylic copolymer
acrylic thickener
PPW wax
water
preservative MIT
pigments - various
UV stabiliser
defoamer oil
silicone defoamer

Is this definitely safe for use on a playstand?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

If you have any doubts I wouldn't use it. If the play stand is for indoor use then I don't think you need to varnish it...?

Your bird will probably want to remodel the playstand by chewing parts of it, so I probably wouldn't run the risk, just in case.

• Like 4

The playstand was, unfortunately, made with differing shades of wood (it was made quite a long time ago) so it's not the most attractive item. As it's going in my lounge it would be good to even it out with some form of varnish but obviously not at the expense of using dangerous chemicals. That varnish in the OP has been the closest I could find to an all-natural varnish safe for animals as well as for young children. The guy insists it is completely safe but just wanted to see if anyone here knew if any of those ingredients could be detrimental.

Oh, and I did ask about the slippery factor - the guy said it's more akin to a wood stain texture wise, absorbs into the wood a lot and doesn't leave a shiny slippery surface.

Edited by Angelwings
  • Like 2

As I always say, when in doubt err on the side of safety, it could possibly be safe but who wants to risk their beloved companion's life on this one man's statement, besides it is probably going to be chewed on and possibly some ingested, so what it is not the best looking thing, your bird will put her own touches on it perhaps. If your bird plays on it and enjoys it then its the best looking item in the house IMO.

• Like 3

I would not take a chance on any chemical finish on the stand it would be awful to find out too late that is was not safe when your bird becomes ill or worse. So what if the woods are not uniform it is a study in color and surface designs. if you cannot live with that then how will you feel about your bird taking chips and chunks out of the various woods? You can wrap areas with vet wrap. jute rope. cotton rope or hemp. Hang toys and treats as well. It is meant to be an entertainment center for birds right? When you live with parrots it can be difficult to have anything stay "nice".

Edited by Greywings
  • Like 3